Author Topic: Latest (Feb 17) release  (Read 16547 times)

AlanG

Re: Latest (Feb 17) release
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2017, 09:03:17 pm »
Ian/Lee

Ah well, thankfully as I said I'm not affected by this, so on this occasion I am not going to require a dark room to lie down in.  ;D

I don't want to get too smug though as I can't help thinking that you never know when something is going to come back and  bite you in the asticles.  ???

Retreating below the parapet.
Alan

daveb

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 07:31:58 am »
So for the benefit of us tech dummies that have no interest in IP addresses etc, what was the answer.  What's changed?
I used to plug my ethernet cable in, leave it for 20 mins, manually install. Job done.  Now it doesn't.
Dongles in, dongles out, dynamic IPs, what?

Help please...

Cheers

Dave

AlanG

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:58 am »
Hi Dave

As per my post above I won't even try to answer the bit about IP addresses but i will say that if you have got, or can obtain a USB memory stick it will make life far easier in the long run.  Only minor faffing to ensure the stick is formatted to the FAT32 file system (you select this during the formatting process on your laptop or pc) and then to ensure that you delete the previous version of software from it prior to downloading the new version.  Oh, and it must be in the root directory, not in a folder.  You also gain the ability to be able to download your track files for your own analysis or to send to Lee in times of trouble. ;D  I should add that your current software version must be 20160820 or later for the USB update to work.  ???
No doubt someone will be along with the tricky answer soon.

Alan
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:07:43 am by AlanG »

daveb

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 08:32:46 am »
Thanks Alan,
Nobody came along with the tricky answer  :(
Thought I'd go down the USB route instead but I can't find the download on the website, anybody like to point me at it please?

Cheers

Dave

brinzlee

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 09:33:49 am »
Press the update file at the bottom of the page, then save that to your USB Stick
http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/

exfirepro

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 09:39:40 am »
Dave,

Log in to www.pilotaware.lode.co.uk and the update link is at the bottom of the page.

Make sure you copy it to the root (top level) of your stick - i.e. not inside a folder and make sure your software hasn't changed the name. Power up your PAW, insert the stick, go to the 'Updates' tab and the new version should appear. Click install and in a few minutes you will have the new version. You can then remove the stick without needing to power down PAW.

Remember to remove this version from your stick before you try to install the next version as the update files all use the same name, so Windows will change the name of the newest download and PAW won't recognise it.

You probably knew most of this, but wil help others who read this.

Regards

Peter
p.s. Sorry Brins, you beat me to it again, but my 'extra' bit might help others
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:43:19 am by exfirepro »

daveb

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 09:41:20 am »
Thanks Peter.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 11:59:22 am »
Message deleted due to being thick and forgetting that I had used the USB method before. Now have new version installed! Doh
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:05:28 pm by Sean McDonald »

straightline

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2017, 04:01:29 pm »
Unable to download the Feb 2017 release. On the Updates page,where it says Check for Updates, underneath it says No Software Updates Available.
I've connected the PA unit to my router via an Ethernet cable, powered up and typed in 192.168.1.1 on my iPad and have got to the Home page - but when I press Updates and go to the Updates page nothing seems to happen. The "Checking for updates" message appears for a fraction of a second and then disappears.

Latest version still says 20161124.

Baffled.     

Ian Melville

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2017, 04:42:59 pm »
Have you removed the WiFi Dongle?  Would also set your network settings to DHCP as well.

straightline

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 09:15:32 am »
But if I remove the WiFi dongle, how does my iPad talk to the PA unit? The only WiFi connection available then is my BT home hub.
This is what I've done so far:
1 My PA unit is connected to the BT home hub via the ethernet cable (taken out of the back of my PC - so PC not connected to the home hub) and the PA unit is ON via the USB cable (red lights showing and GPS blinking...). WiFi dongle is in the PA unit so that my iPad can connect with the PA unit. (If I remove it, I get a message on Safari saying that the 192.168.1.1 page cannot be found because the iPad is not connected to the internet).   
2 On my iPad I can connect to the PA unit via the WiFi (not selecting the alternative BT home hub) and then on my iPad using the Safari browser I get the PA Config etc pages e.g. showing latest version as Dec 2016.
3 When I click Check for Updates, I get a blue line flashing at the top of the page - which suggests something is happening but after 10 mins or so nothing seems to have changed.

What am I doing wrong or missing? (Don't say brain cells...!)

straightline

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 09:44:44 am »
Success!

I downloaded the update file from the PAW lode website to my PC, copied it to a USB stick, connected the USB stick to my PA unit and then via my iPad (with WiFi dongle!) saw a new software file to install - which I did. Took about 5 mins.

So now (at last), I have the latest version (21070223)

So, the USB stick route was much easier. 

"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken..."

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2017, 11:02:03 am »
Excellent. The answer to your question about how you talk to it if you remove your Wifi dongle has two answers.

1) You don't. It goes off and retrieves the software itself. Once you've given it time to do that, you power it off, plug the Wifi dongle back in, then connect and click to update the software with that which it has downloaded and stored locally.

2) You can if you really want to! If you look at your router, you'll see the PAW has been given an IP address by the router's DHCP or as a static IP address configured on the PAW. You can connect using this address.

But yes, the USB dongle method is quite easy.

Ian Melville

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2017, 11:05:41 am »
Adding to Pauls two points.
Without the WiFi dongle you connect using a LAN Cable networked PC, and connect to the homepage if you wish. No iPad required.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2017, 11:07:14 am »
Yes, regarding my point 2, you can connect to it using any device on your home network.