Author Topic: Reading traffic information PAW (API)  (Read 3822 times)

gwyn_carwardine

Reading traffic information PAW (API)
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:19:27 pm »
So having got my PAW I now wish to get raw data out of it so that I can use this within my own code.

So for example somehow SkyDemon is able to get the information - how do I have to program an interface to also get access to the information?

Thanks

rv12uk

Re: Reading traffic information PAW (API)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:33:33 pm »
If it is the same as my old one you simply telnet to the PAW unit (normally 192.168.1.1 on port 2000) when connected to it on it's wifi network.
When prompted use the password 6001 and you should start to see the data streamed to the console.

gwyn_carwardine

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 01:10:05 pm »
Great thanks... that works...

Any idea what the data is?
$GPGGA,120708,5100.113,N,00010.729,E,1,08,1.0,104.7,M,45.3,M,,*4D

I can see the N & E positions. What's the rest of it? Do you know if this is defined somewhere in a standard?

gwyn_carwardine

rv12uk

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 01:29:10 pm »
No idea sorry, I haven't received any real data from mine yet so haven't looked into decoding it. There should be plenty of info out there though (searching google for NMEA messages will throw up some specs).

A quick google threw up this page http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm#GGA with this on it

Code: [Select]
GGA - essential fix data which provide 3D location and accuracy data.

$GPGGA,123519,4807.038,N,01131.000,E,1,08,0.9,545.4,M,46.9,M,,*47

Where:
     GGA          Global Positioning System Fix Data
     123519       Fix taken at 12:35:19 UTC
     4807.038,N   Latitude 48 deg 07.038' N
     01131.000,E  Longitude 11 deg 31.000' E
     1            Fix quality: 0 = invalid
                               1 = GPS fix (SPS)
                               2 = DGPS fix
                               3 = PPS fix
       4 = Real Time Kinematic
       5 = Float RTK
                               6 = estimated (dead reckoning) (2.3 feature)
       7 = Manual input mode
       8 = Simulation mode
     08           Number of satellites being tracked
     0.9          Horizontal dilution of position
     545.4,M      Altitude, Meters, above mean sea level
     46.9,M       Height of geoid (mean sea level) above WGS84
                      ellipsoid
     (empty field) time in seconds since last DGPS update
     (empty field) DGPS station ID number
     *47          the checksum data, always begins with *

If I ever get round to getting my receiver system setup (I need to get another PAW unit or something to play out real data first) I will look into the messages more and decoding them

Admin

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 03:19:58 pm »
Hi All,

Can I ask what you are trying to decode the data to do ?
maybe there is a better method.

For example do you want the data over WiFi-TCP/IP, Wired-TCP/IP, RS232 ....

And what data are you looking for in what format.

Thx
Lee

rv12uk

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 04:18:04 pm »
Not sure if that was directed at myself as well as the OP, mine is wifi (telnet) but I don't really know what I will be doing with the data yet until I start seeing how much processing I can do and what kind of data is available (my project is on hold for a while until I get an up to date PAW unit later this year).

My current project will be very limited in processing/storage so I need to play with the data to see what I can achieve.

The upgrade to it would add more processing/memory/speed to allow some real processing of data but I haven't looked at that yet (it will need breadboarding some chips but I have to learn the electronics to do that, something I'm looking at doing at the moment for a hobby)

I guess one option would be to focus on close target/threat and creating some lightweight display/alerting system from that (possibly a compass style display simply pointing to the direction of the nearest target etc).

I've not looked at the data output yet (was more interested in getting something to connect and display with the kit I was playing with), the next step was to look at what data is available and make a choice from that (now on hold as per the other thread).

gwyn_carwardine

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 06:19:46 pm »
I haven't decided yet!

I simply want to access the location data that is coming out of PAW and to understand what it is - but the pdf I posted earlier has the information. And it seems that telnet is the way to get the data. So all good here so far :)