Author Topic: Do you need the GPS dongle to set up the unit first time, and USB question.  (Read 2771 times)

mo0g

I'm still awaiting the GPS dongle from China, but have everything else for the self build.

I have assembled the unit, do I need to have the GPS dongle attached, as per the instructions, for the first set up, or can I run and configure everything without it for now?

Second question; it states that the RTL-SDR dongle should go in the bottom left USB slot, and the wifi dongle in the bottom right.. is the software configured to use hardware on those ports, or can I move the wifi dongle to the top left USB slot?  I ask as both together on the bottom row is a tight squeeze and could be putting some stress/strain on the connection, especially if they get knocked about in use.

Thanks!

Admin

I'm still awaiting the GPS dongle from China, but have everything else for the self build.

I have assembled the unit, do I need to have the GPS dongle attached, as per the instructions, for the first set up, or can I run and configure everything without it for now?

Without the GPS the other interfaces will probably report failure.

Second question; it states that the RTL-SDR dongle should go in the bottom left USB slot, and the wifi dongle in the bottom right.. is the software configured to use hardware on those ports, or can I move the wifi dongle to the top left USB slot?  I ask as both together on the bottom row is a tight squeeze and could be putting some stress/strain on the connection, especially if they get knocked about in use.
The software for the 3 dongles (GPS, RTL-SDR, WiFi) is auto selecting, so these can go anywhere.

Thx
Lee

mo0g

Thanks, will it matter if they report failure the first time?  Assuming that when the GPS is connected at some point, everything will boot up without error.

Keithvinning

Without the GPS the ADSB and TXRX for the 869.5MHz will not work
Best wait for the GPS.