Author Topic: reboot needed to receive ADS-B traffic  (Read 3872 times)

Wadoadi

reboot needed to receive ADS-B traffic
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:35:04 pm »
I  have a slight issue with my PaW, the ADS-B traffic stops, or doesn't start after switching on, to receive any packets no errors seen. A reboot (or sometimes 2) from the web interface sees it receiving again...

the device shows up on the status page and on the config page.

Has anyone else experienced this? its intermittent and I only started to notice it following the Nov 2016 update. it could be hardware, I assume, but it feels more like a driver issue!

Any ideas?

Admin

Re: reboot needed to receive ADS-B traffic
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:59:41 pm »
Can you provide a screenshot of the home page, need to see hardware and kernel revision you are using.

Also have you tried unplugging and re-inserting the ADS-B dongle ?
It could be a contact or power issue.

When the problem occurs, take a look at the logging page to see if any messages have been output regarding the ADS-B dongle.

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:52:20 pm »
I get it sometimes when plugging in my PAW before start up. It seems to be the startup which breaks it, dropping the voltage on the bus I guess. I usually power the PAW off and back on again if that happens. It's one reason I keep my Sky Demon altitude band large, so I can check it's working by seeing airliners!

Wadoadi

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:49:43 pm »
attached is the home screen, currently running without issue. oh the fun of intermittent issues!

I was wondering about the connection with the vibrations too, but as a warm boot fixes it had ruled it out...

No not tried hot plugging the dongle as it is inside a single case, next flight (Sunday weather permitting) I will leave the lid off so i can try that too.

@Paul, thanks for the suggestion, but I run mine off a battery pack. Maybe a big issh Capacitor across your supply could help you!?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:20:13 pm »
Maybe a big issh Capacitor across your supply could help you!?

Hmm, yes, there's a thought. What I had wanted to do was a pass through on a battery, so charge at the same time as running the unit. But lithium cell power banks don't like that sort of thing apparently. May try it with my PoundLand one!  :o

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:07:00 pm »
If you have seen a Lithium battery fire, you will give that a miss :o

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 09:08:16 pm »
Meh, what's the worst that could happen?  ;D

Thinking about the capacitor thing, wondering if it should be on the 5V side or the 24V side. Either way I'd probably need a big diode (or diode substitute) as well to stop it discharging the wrong way back into the charger/aeroplane circuit (though it might give my starter motor a bit of a boost!).

JCurtis

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:53:22 pm »
Meh, what's the worst that could happen?  ;D

Thinking about the capacitor thing, wondering if it should be on the 5V side or the 24V side. Either way I'd probably need a big diode (or diode substitute) as well to stop it discharging the wrong way back into the charger/aeroplane circuit (though it might give my starter motor a bit of a boost!).

How low does your voltage go during a start? 
A decent 24v in to 5v out converter should work down to 10v-11v and have sufficient capacitance to either ride out the start or manage the 5v out to cycle it if the voltage drops below the level it could sustain an output.

If you put a cap on the 5v side, then it shouldn't feed back through the 24v to 5v converter, or I would hope it doesn't!
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 02:00:48 am »
I think it's probably more about spikes on the power bus than the actual voltage drop during start, but I don't really know. It could be the vibration for all I know!  ;) I know that the DVB-T dongle doesn't like antenna swaps while still on and stops receiving anything. Could be related.