Author Topic: Length of Antennas  (Read 3145 times)

Kittyflyer

Length of Antennas
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:01:48 am »
Dear Colleagues,

I just installed the system within my Cherokee-235 and faced a problem with the lenghts of both antennas.
The space on my glareshield is too small to fit the antennas in a straight up position.

Are there any alternative antennas (ADSB + DVB-T) available, which are shorter?

Thank you for assistance.

brinzlee

Re: Length of Antennas
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:16:46 pm »
These are both the same antenna.....but if you haven't already this can be considerably cut down, there are some posts on this already for optimum length. I believe its around 60mm but please check before cutting anything.
As for the other antenna that connects to the bridge, there are also many discussions on this, mainly using the remote dipole which can be attached away from the PilotAware with the long cable and sma connector. There is also mention of a PUK type antenna but I haven't heard any feedback on that type yet. The low profile dipole is available in the store
http://pilotawarehardware.com/product/dipolecouplet-antenna/

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 03:40:51 pm »
Dear Colleagues,

I just installed the system within my Cherokee-235 and faced a problem with the lenghts of both antennas.
The space on my glareshield is too small to fit the antennas in a straight up position.

Thank you for assistance.

The small antenna (which is the ADSB Antenna) can be cut to 68mm which is the optimum size (will work better) and will allow you to fit it on the glare shield. It is also is not so sensitive to location so can be fitted in much more places in your aircraft.

The P3i Antenna cannot be shortened and must have line of sight of other P3i Antenna. Try and find somewhere else in the aircraft where the Pi unit can be located so that the antenna can see the outside.

By far the best option is to fit external antennas
There are articles available on
  • Antennas
    Permanent installations
    Carry on installations
Available on pilotaware.com 

Regards

Keith

Kittyflyer

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 05:18:00 pm »
Thanks for replies ... to clarify it ... I speak about the Dipole RF antenna and RTL-SDR antenna/dongle.

What I actually did, was to tilt the Dipole RF that it fits under the middle brace of the window, wheras the RTL-SDR was placed right at the beginning of the glareshield, where the space is the highest.
At that position the top of the RTL-SDR has a free "view" outside ... it is not nice, but, I think, it will work (did not tested it yet in flight).

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 06:36:46 pm »
KittyFlyer,
I was looking at a PA28 installation at the weekend, and the option are a bit limited if you don't want to go down the CAA mod route. There is no perfect solution.

In discussion with the owner, who had the P3i antenna horizontal on the coaming, we decided the best location was stuck vertically to the windscreen, just in front of what would be called the 'A' pillar in a car. On the port side as that would be the least obtrusive to the pilot. Use rubber suckers like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suction-Cups-Any-Type-Wide-Range-Clear-Plastic-Rubber-Window-Suckers-/200790859945?var=500253280499. I have on order the smaller side pilot hole ones.

You current location willl be affected by the middle brace, not to mention your compass (I assume you mean the join between the left and right screens on which the compass is mounted)

The RTL-SDR antenna can be shortened as is mentioned elsewhere in the forum, and should easly fit between the screen and coaming.