Author Topic: Bluetooth GPS, FLARM from SDR stick  (Read 3629 times)

JimGulliver

Bluetooth GPS, FLARM from SDR stick
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:15:16 pm »
Hello,
I have a couple of questions regarding the PAW, before buying one
- At present I use a bluetooth GPS (Garmin GLO) which is typically better (update rate, accuracy) than a lot of usb dongle GPS units. Is it possible to use this with the Pilotaware unit?
- You mention use of a FLARM mouse to provide FLARM contacts. I have not been able to find a cheap (affordable, even...) FLARM receiver, except one based on a RPi and SDR dongle. Is it possible to plug a second SDR dongle into the Pilotaware unit, and have it control the dongle to provide FLARM inputs. I fly not far from Lasham, so FLARM would be a great idea!
- Are there typically any issues using antennae with magnetic bases in a cockpit (mag compass??)
- What is the bandwidth of the P3I end feed antenna? Could I use one (another one...) to successfully pick up ADS-B traffic (Otherwise I will make a J antenna myself...but for 9.99 it is hardly worth the effort!).
- How widely used is P3I? Is it catching on....?

Many thanks...and great work!
Jim

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Bluetooth GPS, FLARM from SDR stick
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:31:38 pm »
1) It depends on your nav software, some will take the tablet GPS input from a separate source to the traffic data. Sky Demon doesn't, it takes them from the same source. The dongle won't be any less accurate than the GLO (the dongle has WAAS/EGNOS), but I think it has a 1Hz update rate.

2) No. The problem with using another DVB-T dongle to receive FLARM isn't a technical one as such. FLARM don't want to be decrypted, so if they found that PAW were hacking their protocol, they'd probably change the encryption to stop it.

3) Depends how close you put the magnetic base to the compass!

4) You don't need much in the way of an antenna to be able to pick up ADS-B from transponders, though with new Low Power ADS-B Transceivers (LAPT) now being sold, the antenna might be more critical. I use a "chilli" type antenna which is good enough for traffic purposes. The P3i type antenna works well, as do some GSM antennae.

5) There are over 800 units around now. If you're near Lasham, you're probably not far from me, I fly with a PAW from Bourne Park, just north of Andover.

JimGulliver

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:34:23 pm »
Many thanks, Paul for the quick and comprehensive reply. Great shame about the FLARM...I guess the open glider network must have come to a deal with them....or do they own it?
One further question regarding Bluetooth GPS....do most USB GPS dongles actually convert from USB to serial internally....and so look like a UART to the firmware? If so, maybe I could use a bluetooth serial port emulator to plug in to the USB on the Pi, and talk to my GLO that way (It is probably just my Scottish ancestry that doesn't want to sideline my GLO...)?

regards

Jim
BTW...I fly from Farnborough

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:42:54 pm »
Because OGN is ground based FLARM seem to be 'cutting them some slack', though I don't thnk it has gone as far as a formal agreement.

Looking at the prices of BT to serial adaptors it would be a lot cheaper to buy a new USB GPS mouse. It hurts doesen't it (also Scottish ancestry  :'()

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:23:43 pm »
The OGN are tolerated as long as they agree to not show any pilot who doesn't want to show up, as I understand it.

Interesting concept on the bluetooth thing, I guess you could try it! The USB ports on a PAW will take an RS232 GPS input through a USB to serial converter, but it has to be a recognised chipset. I know the PL2303, FTDI and one other which I've got work. I don't know what USB-serial-bluetooth adaptors exist. It would be more economical to sell the GLO though! Or perhaps keep it as a backup, just in case.

Ah, you're in the flying club at Farnborough? I live in Guildford. If you fly over Guildford you'll see my PAW ground unit show up. At least until Dave S insists on me giving the module back!  ;D Will maybe be used for future developments.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:27:00 pm by Paul_Sengupta »

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:44:11 pm »

;D Will maybe be used for future developments.

You know too much  :-X