Author Topic: Another Enclosure  (Read 5158 times)

Deker

Another Enclosure
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:02:20 pm »
Hello all,

My effort at a all-in-one box while the weather is naff and the scareoplane in in for 50hrs check.
The enclosure is from RS 401-9963 £4.27
I'm lucky to have access to CNC so drilled all the cooling holes, but the same effect could be made with careful use of a hand drill.
Mini 5v fan also from RS on the back face.

The audio and power connectors and RF pigtails (all from @bay) were taken out to sockets on the side of the case as well as the ADSB and P3i SMA bulk-head connectors.

I used the Pilot Aware GPS mouse and stuck this to the top of the box.
in order to do this it needed a bit of brain surgery. The mouse case was opened up, cable "hacked" to length and soldered back onto the mouse PCB. I guess it would be easier to cut and re splice the USB cable  or fit a re-wireable USB plug. But while i was inside the mouses brain, i noticed it has a nice bright green LED that blinks when GPS locked. So drilled a hole in the top of the mouses 'scull' and added a clear plastic plug so that Mr blinkie led can be seen and thus the status of GPS lock.

Pot wired in series to the audio (think it was about 100 ohms?) to provide front panel volume control. It's a bit sensitive so might need to experiment with lower resistance.

Just need an aeroplane and weather to give it a flight test.
ATB
Deker

exfirepro

Re: Another Enclosure
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 12:08:15 pm »
Hi Deker,

Looks really neat. Well Done!!  :D

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:46:53 pm »
Nice one.
How did you shorten the GPS mouse lead? is the GPS dismantlable?

I'm working on a similar case in folded aluminum. Whould make a good project if you have done the LAA Metalworking course. Now have 90% of the bits I need so construction may start this afternoon.

Deker

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 01:35:14 pm »
Nice one.
How did you shorten the GPS mouse lead? is the GPS dismantlable?

Hi Ian,

Yes, peel off the underside label to expose 4 small self tappers.
The two halves of the shell split to expose the small pcb / patch antenna.
USB wires +screen are soldered to surface pads on the edge of the pcb.
I just cut to length and resoldered to the pads 10min job.
While I was at it, I redrilled the cable entry hole to the underside face so that it's hidden.
If you do that, you'll need to leave out the water proof gasket, but shouldnt be a problem as I'm intending it to stay dry.
ATB
Deker.

Keithvinning

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 01:37:03 pm »
Nice Job Dekker

Where did you get the ADSB antenna? is this 1090 or just close like a GPS antenna

Regards

Keith

Deker

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 01:53:51 pm »
Hi Keith,

It's this one eBay item number:290703232263 900mhz GPRS antenna.

Deker

Seanjd

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 06:09:54 pm »
Very neat job  8)

I only wish I could solder to that standard  :-[

neilld

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 12:49:19 pm »
Hi Keith,

It's this one eBay item number:290703232263 900mhz GPRS antenna.

Deker
Hi,
I purchased one of these hoping it would plug in directly to the PAW unit but now it's arrived I see that the connector is different. (didn't look closely enough at your photos).
Where did you get the mating connector (fitted to your case) and/or is there an adapter to mate the antenna directly to the PAW?

Deker

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 06:47:46 pm »
Hi Neil,

You need a MCX to SMA adaptor such as 262116776458
or  151356650638,  but the small MCX connector can't support an antenna directly.
Deker.

neilld

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 08:29:14 pm »
Thanks

DFN