Author Topic: RunwayHD not connecting to PAW  (Read 5681 times)

unixsystems

RunwayHD not connecting to PAW
« on: December 17, 2016, 09:27:10 pm »
I've had the PAW for a couple of months now, using it in an Ikarus C42. I've had no problem picking up commercial airliners but I've seen no smaller targets that ATC have asked me to look out for, even when they've come quite close.

Anyway, now it will not connect to RunwayHD. I can connect to the web interface on the same iPad using wifi and everything seems to look fine. For RunwayHD, I'm connecting with Port 2000 and Passcode 6001. I then select "Enable FLARM" but no "Data" icon is displayed. The status in settings always shows "Disconnected". I'm running PAW version 20161124 with RunwayHD version 3.6.0.20161027. I've attached a few screenshots to show what I'm seeing.

Any sensible advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
David Whiting

Admin

Re: RunwayHD not connecting to PAW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 09:28:11 am »
First thing to recommend. Try port 6000

Secondly, something must have changed, have the following updated ?
PilotAware?
RunwayHD ?
Operating System ?

Could also be worth contacting Tim Marlow at Airbox

Thx
Lee

stillstanding

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 04:01:24 pm »
I'm using RunwayHD too and have no problems connecting. My version is later though, 3.6.1.20161129 so worth updating RunwayHD, and perhaps trying restarting the iPad.

I've just installed iOS 10.2 and it seems to be working equally as well as 10.1.whatever it was.

unixsystems

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions Lee.

I've tried port 6000 with no joy - the documentation states 6001 for RunwayHD, so I've put it back to that for now.

Yes, IOS and RunwayHD have recently been updated - so, it is possible one or both of those updates have broken it. I'll contact Tim Marlow as suggested, to see if he can look into this further.

Thanks,
David

unixsystems

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:15:18 pm »
Thanks for confirming the versions stillstanding.

I've updated to the same versions as you but still it won't connect - I've also rebooted the iPad several times without success. Time to reach out to Tim Marlow I think.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 10:23:33 am »
Hi Guys,

Tried again this morning after updating iPad to iOS 10.2, but still same problem as you were having, so decided to 'fiddle' and see what happened.

First tried changing to port 6000 as suggested by Lee  - no change. Continued checking settings to no avail, then...

Switched OFF 'Enable FLARM' and 'Use FLARM for GPS'

Made sure the 'PilotAware' Device Option was selected.

Manually deleted and re-entered the PilotAware Device Configuration Settings exactly as they originally were, i.e. : -

IP Address.    192.168.1.1

Port.              2000

Passcode.       6001

Switched 'Enable FLARM' and 'Use FLARM for GPS' back ON

Bingo!!!!  'FLARM Connected' symbol now green and Runway HD now working with PAW.

Hope this works for you. Give it a try

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:32:37 am by exfirepro »

unixsystems

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 12:25:11 pm »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing the info, I'm pleased you're up and running! I'll give it a go later on today and see if I get the same - I'll post back on here with results. I've also contacted Tim Marlow at Airbox to see if he can give some advice.

Cheers,
David

stillstanding

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 07:46:47 pm »
Oops, I have had to flick 'Enable Flarm' off then on again a couple of times and forgot to mention it.

It seems necessary if the iPad has reverted to another wifi signal while Runway HD is running.

unixsystems

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 08:27:14 pm »
Well, thanks for the suggestions but mine is still not working.

I removed all the connection settings and inputted them all in again. Rebooted iPad, started again and reset all my network connections in the IOS settings with no luck. I even reinstalled RunwayHD without success!

I'm stumped at this point. I've sent a log file to Airbox to see if they can see any clues in that. I'll let you know how it progresses.

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 11:09:15 pm »
David,

Sorry to hear that. Like stillstanding, I have also noticed that Runway HD seems to 'lose' the 'FLARM' connection fairly easily - which I don't get when running SkyDemon from PilotAware in the same position using the same equipment. I will run another soak test tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Hope you get your connection problem sorted soon.

Regards

Peter

unixsystems

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 08:24:20 am »
Thanks Peter.

I also experienced the regular loss of FLARM connection when mine was working, which is extremely frustrating when you're flying and can't tinker with it. You've answered the question I was pondering about SkyDemon though. I really want to get this working reliably with RunwayHD - however, even if I get the connection working and it continues to be unreliable, it's enough of an issue for me to ditch RunwayHD and switch over to SkyDemon.

Regards,
David

unixsystems

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 08:54:28 pm »
An update with the RunwayHD to PAW connectivity issue.

I downloaded a free trial of SkyDemon and it is rock solid with PAW. It connected immediately, I can see targets and it's very stable (screenshot attached).

This proves to me that there is nothing wrong with the iPad or the PAW unit. I know that there are others using the same combination of IOS and PAW version with RunwayHD, but it doesn't work for me and I've no idea what the problem is - the issue must be buried somewhere within RunwayHD.

Thanks,
David