Author Topic: Receive Only  (Read 5754 times)

Pwwuk

Receive Only
« on: December 12, 2016, 11:08:12 am »
Will probably adopt however ...

Would be great if PilotAware allowed for a 'receive only' version.

Whilst the broadcast function is of interest, it is never going to be universal.

Enabling ADS-B ES via the linkup of a PilotAware or other  to the Mode S give the visibility to show up to other PilotAware users.

Just wanted to put it out there as a suggestion.

Ty

Peter 

Keithvinning

Re: Receive Only
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 11:44:52 am »
Hi Peter

The philosophy of PilotAware is see and be seen so we dont make a receive only.
Of course if you buy Pilotaware and set it as a receive only base station then you have it.
Seems not to be a good idea though.

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 11:45:33 am »
Peter,

PilotAware can be set to receive only by selecting 'Base Station Rx'  in the Aircraft Type field on the 'Configure' page. We obviously don't recommend this setting in the air, as the whole point of the project is to ensure aircraft which don't have transponders (perhaps due to power or cost issues) become visible to each other at minimal cost.

Regards

Peter

(Sorry Keith, didn't mean to cross-post.)

Pwwuk

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 02:53:20 pm »
Keith & Peter,

Could not agree more .. great to be 'seen'

However .. IF the A/c has jumped though all the hoops & got their MODE S + GPS linked to send extended squit .. that would then seem reasonable to allow users to use PA as receive only without the Tx board?  given the awesome integration with the mapping systems would be good to have as many people as possible receiving alerts, esp if they are already transmitting with position information in a manner other  PA users can see ..  just an idea ..

All the best,

Peter

DavidC

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:52:15 pm »
I'd agree that ADS-B is likely to be a better choice to transmit your position than PAW because it would almost certainly use an external antenna and can thus operate at higher power than P3i (which is limited due to regulations of the unlicensed frequency it uses). But you'd still want to receive P3i to pickup those aircraft equipped with PAW but not ADS-B out. Hence the RF bridge is needed in either case.

Agree that in your situation, transmitting PAW as well may be superfluous, but it seems the software can be configured to cater for that.

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:29:54 pm »
Also you need the Bridge as it contain the Baro for height and altitude conversion so that you get a more accurate separation.

Easy Cruising

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 03:19:55 pm »
I operate with a 'terminator' instead of the p3i aerial, which cost a pound or two. Effectively read-only. No problems ever.

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 07:01:47 pm »
Do you mean a dummy load? How can that receive anything?

Easy Cruising

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 08:26:22 pm »
Maybe I didnt understand this thread. I just wanted to say that I have the ADSB receiver aerial but the 'transmitter' aerial is not attached, I just use a metal terminator in place of it. So I don't transmit the paw protocol.

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 08:42:45 pm »
I'm pretty concerned about that EC. I fully understand the arguement about not needing to transmit P3i if you are transmitting Mode S/ ADSB Out, but as DavidC says above, you need the RF Bridge to be able to 'see' all the aircraft who have invested in PilotAware because they either can't afford or can't fit a Transponder for technical reasons and hence can't go down the ADSB Out route.

Fitting a 'terminator' (AKA a 'dummy load') will certainly stop the P3i Bridge transmitting very effectively - perhaps permanently if the load fails and causes the transmit RF to be reflected back into the Bridge, but it seems a terrible waste as transmitting P3i won't cause you any problems, whereas not receiving it could potentially cost you your life one day.

I don't mean to sound melodramatic - I'm just VERY concerned

Peter

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:03:15 pm by exfirepro »

Easy Cruising

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 08:05:12 pm »
Concerning the 'terminator' component, it was a suggestion from elsewhere on this forum. Works ok for me during 60 hours of flying, although I am not technical enough to know what 'risk' if any there is to the other components.

Concerning not transmitting : I am based in Germany, not UK. I am going for adsb-out ,which is obviously the better 'out'  solution, albeit expensive. There's not much use of paw here and probably never will be since adsb-out is the true international standard and seems to be what light aircraft are moving towards here, given that most new transponders support it. Flarm is also used a lot.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 08:34:12 pm »
No harm in transmitting and receiving it though, just in case one of us ventures over!  :D