Author Topic: WiFi issues  (Read 23425 times)

Admin

Re: WiFi issues
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 09:27:05 pm »
Yep, that looks good

Tony T

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 11:24:20 am »
Has there been any update on the wi-fi dongle issues - I have been trying to get the wi-fi on mine to work for 2 weeks now and have followed all the advice in the various threads - new power supply and 20 gauge cable, replacement wi-fi dongle from a source that 'works' but still have similar problems to others - pi boots up and starts to display the licence message with the correct mac  address but neither my PC or ipad can connect to it - also sometimes after 5 lines of the correct mac address the pi reverts to a mac address of all zeros.

Tony

Admin

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 12:06:32 pm »
Has there been any update on the wi-fi dongle issues - I have been trying to get the wi-fi on mine to work for 2 weeks now and have followed all the advice in the various threads - new power supply and 20 gauge cable, replacement wi-fi dongle from a source that 'works' but still have similar problems to others - pi boots up and starts to display the licence message with the correct mac  address but neither my PC or ipad can connect to it - also sometimes after 5 lines of the correct mac address the pi reverts to a mac address of all zeros.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Can I ask where you bought the WiFi dongle from ?
Thx
Lee

Tony T

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 12:21:57 pm »
Hi Lee - the latest one came from uk-lightszone on ebay - I just followed one of the links on the forum. 

However I have made some progress this morning as I had an old Pi B (not a 2) and so tried that instead and everything fired up correctly.  It therefore suggests that the Pi B 2 is faulty - looking at the network stats for either the wi-fi or ethernet my PC never sees any received data from it.  However I seem to remember a note in the forum somewhere about the v1.1 PI (which this one is) and just wonder if there is a compatability issue given a number of people have had the same issues?

Admin

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 12:33:09 pm »
Hi Lee - the latest one came from uk-lightszone on ebay - I just followed one of the links on the forum. 

However I have made some progress this morning as I had an old Pi B (not a 2) and so tried that instead and everything fired up correctly.  It therefore suggests that the Pi B 2 is faulty - looking at the network stats for either the wi-fi or ethernet my PC never sees any received data from it.  However I seem to remember a note in the forum somewhere about the v1.1 PI (which this one is) and just wonder if there is a compatability issue given a number of people have had the same issues?

Hi Tony
I think you have answered your own question.
PilotAware does not run on a "Pi 2", the target hardware is "Pi B+"

If the documentation says "Pi 2", this is wrong, could you point me at a reference ?

Thx
Lee

Tony T

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 12:56:42 pm »
That explains it  - I was taken in by the claim that the Pi 2 was 'fully backward compatible' with the B+ - obviously not the case.  I wonder how many others have had a similar issue?  Will order a B+ and hopefully that will resolve this.

Thanks

Tony

Admin

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 01:12:26 pm »
That explains it  - I was taken in by the claim that the Pi 2 was 'fully backward compatible' with the B+ - obviously not the case.  I wonder how many others have had a similar issue?  Will order a B+ and hopefully that will resolve this.
Thanks
Tony

Hi Tony
A few people have fell into this, although I have said explicitly PiB+, unfortunately some of the drivers are not yet ported.
I may try to put an early boot check to generate an error, this might help spot this problem

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2015, 12:27:53 am »
I've found another working Wifi USB dongle, a bit by accident!  :)

I was given a non working dongle that a friend of mine bought for his PAW which claimed to be the correct chipset but wasn't. I thought I'd give it a go on my old Pi B to see what it did. Sure enough, it didn't work on that either. But laying on my coffee table was an old Belkin Wireless G USB dongle. I'd brought it out as I was building a new desktop PC and wanted a quick way to connect to the internet before installing a proper card.

Anyway, I thought no harm in trying, there's probably no chance of it working, but let's have a look. I plugged it into the Pi, plugged my monitor in and booted it up. To my surprise the boot screen got past the point of failure and appeared to set up a Wifi hotspot. I got my tablet out and now I'm happily connected to it!  :) It's the Belkin F5D7050. It's a bit large but hey, this is experimental anyway!

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support-product?pid=01t80000001qJZtAAM

Doing a bit more digging, this dongle was available with several different chipsets.

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_part.php?brandname=Belkin

I've got two revisions of this dongle and they both work, with the Intersil ISL3887 chipset and also the Ralink RA2571W chipset.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:27:43 am by Paul_Sengupta »

ianfallon

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 02:19:31 pm »
If you're confident in it - add it to the Known Good Hardware thread, although looking at the form-factor of it I think you'll struggle to plug anything into the adjacent USB socket ??

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 03:05:40 pm »
It's old hardware, old chipsets now, but people might have things lying around that they might want to use just to play with/check while they're waiting for the £2 ones from China to arrive (yes, also proven to work). Yes, it would need to be in a row on its own or on a little extension lead. On my Pi B I've put in a non-powered hub which seems to work ok, I've got the GPS, the Wifi dongle and the ADS-B dongle all connected. I don't have another ARF though!  :) It's a bit unwieldy. My "proper" PAW is a B+ in the standard case with the standard dongles and an ARF.