Author Topic: Flarm-in - Beta  (Read 8546 times)

Admin

Flarm-in - Beta
« on: September 11, 2016, 03:16:47 pm »
Successfully picking up Gliders with the Flarm-IN USB, and Flarm-Mouse.
Together with ADS-B, P3I, Mode-S, Mode-C

Traffic screen and skydemon screen

gvpsj

Re: Flarm-in - Beta
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 03:35:52 pm »
Great news, just need my PowerFlarm back from the repair shop as I managed to put +12v on wrong pin - oops ;-( What are the pin outs and ins from the RS232 on the Flarm to the USB on the PAW (with suitable chipped lead)?

Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 05:35:31 pm »
Great news, just need my PowerFlarm back from the repair shop as I managed to put +12v on wrong pin - oops ;-( What are the pin outs and ins from the RS232 on the Flarm to the USB on the PAW (with suitable chipped lead)?

This info is in your flarm manual, basically just need GND and TX, connected to a USB/RS232 GND & RX, then configure the port as Flarm-IN @ 19200

gvpsj

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 05:41:04 pm »
Thanks for the info but on my connectors the RS232 is Rx & Tx whilst the USB are Data+ and Data- Does it matter which way round they are connected, bothered as I managed to connect a +ve to the wrong pin on an RS232 yesterday!!!!

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 06:09:35 pm »
Hi John, wasn't able to get to Enstone today, to pick up your lead. I suspect your lead is either a USB lead with free wires (no RS232), or you have been given the wrong instructions.
I can check this safely without letting any smoke out of the hardware. Hope the bill didn't hurt:-(

Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 06:10:08 pm »
you need one of these cables that convert RS232 to USB
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/301730733908

then connect the (RS232) RX & GND on the DSUB9 to the (RS232) TX & GND from the Flarm unit
http://www.db9-pinout.com/

I used one of these to make it easier
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400633979505

To make things easier in the future, we are looking at having specific cables made up directly from PAW to Flarm
but you can do it in a Heath Robinson style with the above.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:13:15 pm by Admin »

gvpsj

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 06:33:52 pm »
Thanks for all that. I have two types of cable kicking about the workshop. Both have the same 'recommended' chipset but one is in the RS232 and the other type has it in the USB, both have fly leads at the other end. I would prefer to use the cable with the chip in the USB with the 4 ends, +, -, Data+ and Data-. I will await Ian's comments when he has seen a lead. Cheers. John

Deker

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 06:19:54 pm »
Has anyone got details on the Flarm OEM module, their website lacks any technical information.
I'm thinking it might be a lower cost option to the £400 mouse that some of us home-brewers could play with.

Deker.

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 06:41:12 pm »
This might start the investigation.
https://flarm.com/products/oem-module/
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

JCurtis

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 08:52:26 pm »
From what I've read before, details are only available under NDA.  However I'd expect modules to be in the £100's, plus you'd need to also be able to feed it software updates when required too.  It isn't plug and play.

I would also expect a minimum order quantity too.  The Mouse is probably the cheapest, complying with the rules, module available at the moment...
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Deker

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 09:18:43 pm »
From what I've read before, details are only available under NDA.  However I'd expect modules to be in the £100's, plus you'd need to also be able to feed it software updates when required too.  It isn't plug and play.
I would also expect a minimum order quantity too.  The Mouse is probably the cheapest, complying with the rules, module available at the moment...

Hi,
I didn't expect for a moment that a bare OEM module would be plug an play, just wondering if anyone had hard facts about the OEM module.
In keeping with the low cost approach of PAW, it would be good to know if the OEM board was a viable lower cost option than the mouse, even if for just the "home brewers" among us.
Deker.

Admin

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 10:28:09 pm »
Hi Deker

The OEM module is transmit only, it acts as a beacon to make you visible, but does not provide you with any traffic information.

Thx
Lee

Deker

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 07:25:29 am »
Hi Deker
The OEM module is transmit only, it acts as a beacon to make you visible, but does not provide you with any traffic information.
Thx
Lee

Thanks Lee,
My soldering iron will have to stay lonely and unwanted :-)
Mouse it will have to be.
Cheers,
Deker.

Pete

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 12:12:18 pm »
Could you tell me where to purchase a Flarm Mouse please?
The mind is like an Umbrella, it only works when it is open!

Admin

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »
Could you tell me where to purchase a Flarm Mouse please?

Hi Pete,
I purchased through NavBoys, alternately LX Avionics at Turweston sell Flarm Mouse

Thx
Lee