Author Topic: Funkwerke TRT800H  (Read 4777 times)

Dpark

Funkwerke TRT800H
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:46:53 am »
Will the system work with the Fukwerk TRT800H transponder

Keithvinning

Re: Funkwerke TRT800H
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 08:55:59 am »
Hi Dpark

PilotAware does not need a transponder to work. However if you mean can I use PilotAware to convert my Mode S transponder to ADSB-out

You can access the Funke document via the FASVIG website here: http://fasvig.org/funke-support-for-uncertified-gps-ads-b-out

Cheers

Keith

Dpark

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 10:31:09 am »
Thanks Keith.
Is there an advantage to using transponder.
When I was at rally yesterday there was some talk of connecting gps to transponder.
Is this something completely separate to the pilot aware ADSB or does the pilot aware take a feed from the transponder?

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 12:56:03 pm »
Hi DPark

PilotAware only receives ADS-B (1090MHz)  signals it does not transmit them as to do so would involve a lot more expense and regulation.

PilotAware transmits the same positional information as ADS-B but on the open 869.5MHz frequency which we call P3I (PilotAware third eye). This is transmitted at 500Mw and can be received by PilotAware units. If you have a transponder with extended squitter which you have in the Funke then by connecting it to the GPS in PilotAware this effectively converts your Mode s transponder into an ADSB transponder. This has the advantage that the Funke transponder will have considerably greater power output so you will be seen further by both ADSB-receivers including Pilotaware. Don't worry that you will then seem to be transmitting positional information on both PilotAware 869.5MHz and ADSB 1090MHz as this is taken care of in the PilotAware software, you won't be seen twice as it were.

Both Trig and Funke transponders can be connected to pilotAware and achieve this. Unfortunately this cannot be done to Garmin equipment as they are not so open with their information and have an approved Garmin method of upgrade involving an approved GPS with an approved price.

You will need to have the installation confirmed by your licensing authority usually the BMAA or the LAA who have a process to approve this.

I will write a paper on this and upload it onto the new PilotAware website which should be available in the next two weeks or so.

Hope that helps

Keith 

Keithvinning

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 01:24:22 pm »
Hi DPark

I realise that i didn't answer your question in full.

When I was at rally yesterday there was some talk of connecting gps to transponder.
Is this something completely separate to the pilot aware ADSB or does the pilot aware take a feed from

You don't need to have a feed from a transponder under normal circumstances. PilotAware has its own GPS.

Cheers

Keith

Moffrestorer

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 01:33:08 pm »
Hi Keith,

A typo crept into your reply. P3i output is 500mW max, in case anyone was worried!

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 03:39:07 pm »
Of course!
If we had managed to transmit 500MW (Megga Watt) from a USB input then we would be on our way to solving the energy crisis.
Thanks for pointing this out

Keith

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 02:09:06 am »
Is this something completely separate to the pilot aware ADSB or does the pilot aware take a feed from the transponder?

It's completely separate from the PilotAware, *but*, if you connect them, it's the other way round, the transponder takes the GPS feed from the PilotAware to send ADS-B out. In this respect the PilotAware is only acting as a GPS. All the stuff you receive and display on your tablet, and the PilotAware's own protocol is transmitted independently of any transponder you may have.

Dpark

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 04:11:20 pm »
All understood now thanks.