Author Topic: Downloading track log file  (Read 5372 times)

DavidC

Downloading track log file
« on: August 23, 2016, 09:30:03 am »
I saw there is a Java program to analyse track log files for previous flights.
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,535.0.html

Could someone explain how to download/access track log files in your PAW and whether these are overwritten for each new flight or deleted after a set time/disk space/other factor?

Thanks

AlanG

Re: Downloading track log file
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:28:36 am »
Hi David

I'm sure Lee or someone will be along to fill in further detail on this but to get you started if you log on to the home screen of the PAW whilst it is running (http://192.168.1.1) you will see an option along to the right hand side for View/Save Track files.  If you open up the view you will find several track files, (assuming you have had some journeys with the PAW) listed as Date & Time stamped .trk files, beside each file is a download button.  You should then be able to find the file in your "Downloads" folder.  You can then open it with the Java program or a simple text editor.
I'm not sure how many files will be available on your device before it begins to overwrite them but I'm sure Lee can answer that one.

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:35:04 am »
In 20160820, you can now sync to a USB memory stick
Insert memory stick and press sync

Thx
Lee

Deker

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:34:51 pm »
In 20160820, you can now sync to a USB memory stick
Insert memory stick and press sync
Thx
Lee

Just tried that, much easier and works a treat :-)

Moffrestorer

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 08:45:15 pm »
Hi Lee,

Is there any way to tell when the sync of a single file, or all files, has been completed?

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 09:10:20 pm »
Chris,

I'm using an iPad Mini, so it might be different for you. After going to 'List Tracks' and plugging in the memory stick, the 'Synch' button comes 'live'. After pressing the 'Synch' button, the progress bar moves fairly slowly across the top of the screen. When it got to the right hand side, I unplugged the memory stick and on checking it on my laptop all the files are there.

Hope that helps

Peter

Admin

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 12:31:06 pm »
Hi Chris

The web page blocks until the sync is complete, so if you try to sync a file, then the web page becomes unresponsive
it is still busy.

If you can hit the home page, and get to it, then the writes have completed.

Thx
Lee

The Westmorland Flyer

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 07:20:23 pm »
It took me some time to discover that the USB memory stick must be formatted as FAT32. NTFS it does not like!
John
G-JONL, Sportcruiser, Carlisle

AlanG

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 03:32:45 pm »
Hi All

I'm resurrecting this old thread to update some info to hopefully save someone else the hassle I gave myself last night.
Lee, if you feel this needs moved to a separate thread please feel free to do so.

There has been a fair bit of discussion and advice on various threads regarding the file format for USB Flash Drives (Memory Sticks) for updating the PAW software.  It has generally been stated that the USB stick needs to be formatted as FAT32.  I am not advocating that this is wrong but i have come across an anomaly which might save someone else  the same grief I experienced.   

Since the option became available to update via USB I have successfully updated several units on quite a few occasions from a memory stick I have had for quite a long time.
Last night i tried to download some track files from one of my units to send to Lee using the same USB stick but after several attempts and what appeared to be normal activity on the screen, the USB stick remained stubbornly void of any track files.  I tried several other USB sticks with the same result.
On the web browser,  the PAW Track Management page reported recognition of two of these sticks but the third one remained at "No USB Memory Detected"
Having read the various articles on here about the file system requirements for the Memory Sticks I checked mine.  Both of the older, smaller (250MB) sticks which had successfully updated the software were formatted as NTFS.  The larger (2GB) stick that was not recognised was  formatted as FAT.
I then tried re-formatting the FAT drive as FAT32 but this was still not recognised so I re-formatted one of the NTFS drives to FAT32 and "voila" I was able to sync the track files to this memory stick. I added the software update file to this stick again and was still able to update the software on an older version memory card.

The morale of this story is don't be lulled into thinking that because a USB stick has successfully updated the software that it will necessarily work for the track file sync operation.  According to much of the wisdom on here NTFS formatted flash drives will not update the PAW software but I can assure you they can.  So there must be some other explanation for the success or failure of updates.  All of the drives I have had for a long time and I know that the USB IO system has gone through several changes since its inception so maybe that has an effect.
I would not change the advice to people that FAT32 formatted drives are the way to go because that is the only way i got "updates" and "TrackFile Sync to work on the same memory stick.

Sorry for the long winded read but it might just save you tearing your hair out, I would have been bald this morning if my hair was long enough to get a grip of.   ;D