Author Topic: Installation  (Read 20391 times)

Admin

Re: Installation
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 02:04:38 pm »
cmdline and config.txt files are missing on the root of the installation file. Normally this is present in all installations I have done however I am not certain if this is critical for the OS to install.
No they are not required for the installation, they end up in the boot partition after the installation

The fact that the OS installs and works on multiple kits and home built kits tells me that the OS should install no problem. The question is, why not on mine?
I cannot answer that question

Can I confirm you are using either a Pi1B+ or a Pi2B, and not a different version of RPi ?

Thx
Lee

GrimShadow

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 02:07:18 pm »
Correct,

In fact I have multiple ones at my disposal and none of them are working. I bought all of them from RS Components

Regards

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 02:16:17 pm »
You've definitely formatted the card with this? :

Select the “FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT” option and choose “ON”:

Admin

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 02:17:33 pm »
In fact I have multiple ones at my disposal and none of them are working. I bought all of them from RS Components

When you say multiple, do you mean multiple Pi1B+ and multiple Pi2B ?

What is the SD Card you are using and what size ?

An earlier post requested connecting to a monitor, have you tried this, if so were there any boot messages,
or did it remain on the rainbow screen ?

Do you have any peripherals connected to the USB slots ?

Thx
Lee

GrimShadow

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 02:27:43 pm »
"do you mean multiple Pi1B+ and multiple Pi2B ?" Yes and two Pi 3 b boards but I understand that they do not work with PAW.

Stays on Rainbow screen. I am using a Sandisk 16GB Micro SD Class 10.

Yes, a DVT dongle and a wifi dongle

Admin

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 02:45:14 pm »
"do you mean multiple Pi1B+ and multiple Pi2B ?" Yes and two Pi 3 b boards but I understand that they do not work with PAW.
Stays on Rainbow screen. I am using a Sandisk 16GB Micro SD Class 10.
Yes, a DVT dongle and a wifi dongle

OK, we generally use 4gb MicroSD, I dont think that should matter, but do you have any to use as a testcase ?
Please try this on a Pi1B+ or Pi2B - with no USB  dongles inserted during the install (shouldn't really matter)

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 04:37:42 pm »
Just A suggestion, But when you unzip the downloaded file to your SD card, did you drag the files from the download or did you extract them with the Unzip utility on you PC. I ask, as a friend just dragged the files but it did not unzip all the files correctly.
Richard.
Europa XS

GrimShadow

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2016, 08:02:14 am »
Hi Lee,

Still no difference.

Richard, I tried both methods

Regards

Richard

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 08:35:15 am »
Sorry I should have asked this in the post above... After unzipping the files to your SD card have you taken them out of the Pilotaware folder as the screenshot above does not show if they are in the folder or not. They should be out. I apologize if I'm suggesting something you have already dun.
Richard.
Europa XS

brinzlee

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 09:57:35 am »
Where are you based Richard.....I'm sure there must be somebody near you to give you a hand

Richard

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 10:29:27 am »
Where are you based Richard.....I'm sure there must be somebody near you to give you a hand

I dont have a problem Brinzlee, I think you meant to say "Where are you based GrimShadow.....I'm sure there must be somebody near you to give you a hand"
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 11:10:00 am »
GrimShadow is based in Republic of South Africa, so possibly not.

exfirepro

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 12:22:46 pm »
GrimShadow,

Lee is the expert here, which is why I decided to take a back seat once he got involved rather than hitting you with suggestions from all sides, but 'from the sidelines' I am starting to run out of options and as Lee can confirm I have had considerable recent experience tracking down weird boot issues which turned out to be due to a defective Pi rather than a PilotAware (PAW) issue, .....but you say you have tried more than one Pi2, so that should have eliminated a Pi hardware fault in your case.

Just to clarify the position, as I understand it, you have now tried the downloaded PilotAware (PAW) software in:

More than 1 different Raspberry Pi2s - without any attachments in any of the USB ports, and...

Using at least 2 different SD cards, both of which were pre-formatted using SD Formatter? with the format options set to 'Full Overwrite Format with Size Adjustment ON' before copying the software directly from the opened PAW software folder to the root of both SD cards.

...and you are still only getting the rainbow screen with the units attached to a monitor. Is this all correct?

If so, the common factors as I see it are:

Power Supply - are you certain it can supply 5v at 2 amps? Do you have an alternative you can try e.g. a 5v 2amp power pack?

Power Cable - this must be heavy enough to rule out voltage drop - can you try another cable?

Downloaded Software Image - What software version is it?  Have you tried doing a completely fresh download in case the original has become corrupted? - I have had one occasion where this resolved a boot issue - so worth a try. Also worth trying another freshly re-formatted microSD card (you presumably have spares available), to eliminate the possibility of faulty cards.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:21:05 pm by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 12:37:24 pm »
What is puzzling me is what GrimShaddow is expecting once the image is deployed correctly? He doesn't have a 'Bridge' unit so it won't work?

A quick Google did not show if RSA has an Scientific radio band or similar. Is the Bridge approved for use in RSA, On our frequencies?

exfirepro

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 01:19:42 pm »
Hi Ian,

Several have already raised that point. Lee want's to address the boot issue first. Grimshadow is aware of the licensing issues (see reply 20 above) and reckons 869MHz is ok in SA.

Regards

Peter