Author Topic: Installation  (Read 20387 times)

GrimShadow

Re: Installation
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 05:16:13 pm »
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the update. Is there a possibility of getting the old beta version of the software to test with. I just need to do a proof of concept for South Africa using Skydemon and Airnav pro

GrimShadow

GrimShadow

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 05:17:17 pm »
Or an ADS-B version of the software I could use?

Admin

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »
Or an ADS-B version of the software I could use?

Hi I am travelling at the moment, drop me an email and I will follow up early next week

Thx
Lee

GrimShadow

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 06:02:48 pm »
Hi Lee,

Popped you a mail.

Regards
GrimShadow

Bill Maxwell

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 12:51:53 am »
I can't recall my own research at the moment but do you have the 868 MHz ISM licence-free frequency available to you in South Africa? Most of the world outside Europe, including Australia, Canada and the USA does not. We all need a 921MHz version.

GrimShadow

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 10:26:29 am »
Hi Bill,

From a quick review on the frequency usage laws in South Africa, yes we do.

Regards

GrimShadow

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 08:53:58 am »
Hi All,

Still need assistance with this. Any suggestions?

exfirepro

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 11:23:53 am »
Hi Grimshadow,

I take it Lee hasn't got back to you yet? I have also been away, but have been tracking the forum though not able to deal with enquiries. We now have several hundred PAW units in use in the UK and elsewhere, so the system definitely works. I have built several myself on a mixture of Pi B+, and Pi2 units as well as helping many others in person and via the forums and we now know most of the standard issues which can arise.

I appreciate you are trying a self-build and suspect that may be part of the problem. During the development phase it was established that the components selected are critical to effective operation, which was the principle reason the 'Classic' kit was developed and brought to market. If you self-build, you must stick to components from the known good hardware list or risk non-compatibility. You should also be aware that whilst the PilotAware project is 'open source', the software is not! Tinkering with this area will inevitably result in system failure.

So to summarise, the main areas to consider are:
Do all components match the spec for the known good hardware list especially WRT chipsets
Have you done a full overwrite card format with size adjustment 'on' using SD Formatter
Have you downloaded and copied the PAW software - and ONLY - the PAW software to the root of the card
Are you using a heavy enough power cable (min 20awg) and min 2 Amp supply
Are you leaving the system long enough to reconfigure/install/boot with the GPS having a clear view of the sky OUTSIDE so it can get a proper fix

If you can can confirm these points we can move forward from there.

Regards

Peter
Mode C/S Development Tester

GrimShadow

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »
Hi exfirepro,

I can confirm all points. Do you have a installed image available for me to test with? To clarify, a exact copy of an SD card's software that has already completed the PAW install. It would help me to debug any issues I am experiencing.

Regards

Admin

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 06:02:35 pm »
Back off vacation so can help with this, sorry for delays.

It seems there are 2 issues here.

1. Installation of PilotAware
2. Requirement of a PilotAware Bridge for software to run.

It is not clear to me whether (1) is solved or not, have you managed to install PilotAware on your raspberry Pi. ?
Once (1) is resolved, we can be concerned about (2)

Thx
Lee

GrimShadow

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 08:30:51 am »
Hi Lee,

1) No I have not. Nothing seems to happen on the pi when I power it on with the PAW software. I left it for 3 hours just in case but nothing.

I think for some odd reason the Pi cannot see the boot file of the PAW installation. Hence why I made mention of the missing config file which is present with all linux based OS for installations.

Regards

exfirepro

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 09:39:38 am »
Hi GrimShadow,

As Lee is now on the case and you seem convinced your problem is with the software side of things, he is by far the best person to advise you, so I will take a 'watching brief' on the side meantime.

As Lee says, getting the Pi to boot is the first priority before addressing anything else, though if as you say you are trying to 'prove the concept', you will really need to build two working units with 'Bridges' as the bridge is the core element of the PilotAware concept of 'See, Be Seen and Avoid' and is the only way to directly transmit and receive the essential 869MHz positional data between aircraft. Buying the Bridge is also currently the only way to obtain the relevant software licenses, which is probably what Dave and others meant when they said PilotAware won't now work without one.

Having been involved over a prolonged period, both as a user and development tester, I can assure you that the system works extremely well and is in my opinion worth every penny of its cost - and then some!

Regards meantime

Peter

Admin

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 09:42:31 am »
Hi Lee,

1) No I have not. Nothing seems to happen on the pi when I power it on with the PAW software. I left it for 3 hours just in case but nothing.

I think for some odd reason the Pi cannot see the boot file of the PAW installation. Hence why I made mention of the missing config file which is present with all linux based OS for installations.

Regards

Hi,
Firstly we need to understand issue (1)

Could you send a screenshot of the contents of the root folder of your Micro-SD card ?

What is this config file you are referring to, can you tell me the exact name of this file you are expecting to see and its expected location ?

Thx
Lee

GrimShadow

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 11:03:35 am »
Hi Lee,

The attachment is the root of my SD Card.

cmdline and config.txt files are missing on the root of the installation file. Normally this is present in all installations I have done however I am not certain if this is critical for the OS to install.

The fact that the OS installs and works on multiple kits and home built kits tells me that the OS should install no problem. The question is, why not on mine?

With regards to the Bridge, are they available to us here in South Africa or do I need to import one?

Regards

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 01:40:55 pm »
Having been involved over a prolonged period, both as a user and development tester, I can assure you that the system works extremely well and is in my opinion worth every penny of its cost - and then some!

Yes, but possibly illegal to use and may cause interference with something in South Africa.  :o