Author Topic: New bridge with pi b+  (Read 3274 times)

barne_as

New bridge with pi b+
« on: June 15, 2016, 08:09:01 pm »
So I built a PAW with a raspberry pi b+ but didn't buy the arf bridge as the advice was not to use them.  My PAW was all working nicely in the aircraft picking up ADSB traffic around.

I have now just received the new bridge through the post.
- can I install it in the PAW I have built with (Pi b+), is there an issue with updates using this pi?
- besides audio out, is there any other reason to get a pi 2b?
- will I encounter any other issues in sticking with my pi b+ and bridge?

With regards

Andy

AlanG

Re: New bridge with pi b+
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 08:42:45 pm »
Hi Andy

Not only will you miss the voice alerts but you will also miss out on the Mode S alerts, (i.e. non-ADSB Transponder alerts) and these make up quite a lot of the Commercial and GA traffic.  Sorry if you already know all this but not obvious from your post.
For the extra cost of a Pi2B you will have the full functionality of the unit.  If you choose to do this please do not redeem your bridge licence until you get the Pi2B as you only get one shot at the licence and it is tied to the Mac address of the Pi unit that you install it in.
I feel fairly certain that this will not be the end of the development of this fantastic unit and therefore you may find later that you are missing out on even more.  You pays your money and you takes your chance.   :D

Regards
Alan

barne_as

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 01:47:48 pm »
Thanks. Pi 2b ordered. Just need to sort out antenna solution now!

AlanG

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 05:12:18 pm »
Hi
Alternative antenna available now on PAW Hardware web store.   ;D

Alan