Author Topic: PilotAware Latest Release 20150911  (Read 11189 times)

Kevin W

PilotAware Latest Release 20150911
« on: September 12, 2015, 12:39:17 pm »
Hi

Thanks for the new version,  I note the added UDP functionality, does this break the ability for IOS to use Cellular for Internet whilst connected to the PilotAware WiFi network?

Thanks very much
Kevin

Admin

Re: PilotAware Latest Release 20150911
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 12:48:00 pm »
Thanks for the new version,  I note the added UDP functionality, does this break the ability for IOS to use Cellular for Internet whilst connected to the PilotAware WiFi network?

Yes this is very annoying  >:(
Anybody with networking experience please give me some advice.

In order to get UDP broadcasts to work from the iOS device to PilotAware, it seems I have to
define the PilotAware as both router and dns. This then causes the iPhone to stop accessing
out of its 3G connection data connection.

If I cannot get a good solution for this, I think I need to go back to Chris and rather than issue a broadcast, we will have to send the UDP data specifically to 192.168.1.1

Thx
Lee

rg

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 01:06:56 pm »
Is upgrade process simply reformat and fresh install?

Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 01:23:21 pm »
Is upgrade process simply reformat and fresh install?

Yes, but remember your license key, you may need to submit again.

thx
Lee

peastlake

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 03:52:09 pm »
Does the addition of support for the NMEA app remove the need for CollisonAware? I think I remember this being discussed.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 04:25:21 pm »
Does the addition of support for the NMEA app remove the need for CollisonAware? I think I remember this being discussed.

Currently I still need a GPS sharing App, so you can use CollisionAware, or GPS/NMEA.
The purpose of putting in the NMEA parser was a halfway house to incorporating a GPS directly
without the need of having GPS in the iPad/aPad

I recall you have another requirement as part of paramotoring, or is my recollection wrong ?

Thx
Lee

stephenmelody

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 08:26:31 pm »
Hi Lee,

Excuse my ignorance, was this new release also trying to combat the dropout on wifi / Collision Aware?

I only ask as I've been running it tonight and it's dropped out after about 20 minutes.

Cheers,

Steve.

Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 08:39:00 pm »
Hi Stephen

I followed up with this patched version
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,48.msg675.html#msg675

I have had mine running for hours
Is it always 20 mins ?
Thx
Lee

peastlake

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 08:50:14 pm »

I recall you have another requirement as part of paramotoring, or is my recollection wrong ?

Er, wrong I think! I fly a P&M Quik flexwing. I did download & run the NMEA app - so I don't need to run Collison Aware too?

stephenmelody

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 08:54:45 pm »
I'm running the 12 version not the 11 version, guessing they're full releases and not incrementals as it all installed fine.

It's not always 20 minutes, seems sporadic around time. Was fine in the sky again today as far as i could tell (I was P2 and it wasn't infront of me), so we could be chasing a problem that isn't a factor.

I'm wondering if it's potentially a power issue, still using a crap cable, rather than a 20AWG one.

Cheers,

SM.

JCurtis

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 11:09:59 pm »
Lee,

Spent more years than I can remember as a network bod, if you drop me an e-mail explaining what you are doing I might be able to help.

Jeremy.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Kevin W

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 04:29:42 pm »
Lee,

Spent more years than I can remember as a network bod, if you drop me an e-mail explaining what you are doing I might be able to help.

Jeremy.

Hi Jeremy

I am sure Lee will articulate it further, but basically....

IOS will use its cellular connection for Internet traffic whilst also connected to a WiFi network, but only as long as the DHCP service on the WiFi network doesn't give it a Default Route or any DNS entries for the WiFI connection.  As soon as the DHCP server on the WiFi network gives out a Default Route, or a DNS server, then IOS thinks it should be an Internet connection and sends all the traffic to the WiFi network - even though there is no Internet through it.

So, just "don't publish a Default Route / DNS entries from the PilotAware DHCP server" you say - the second half of the problem, is that UDP Broadcast traffic does not seem to be accepted by IOS over its WiFi connection, unless that connection has a Default Route and DNS servers defined.  One of the apps Lee is trying to support has 'CollisionAware' built into it, and send the GPS data over a UDP broadcast - hence the need to accept it...

Cheers
Kev

Admin

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 09:54:38 pm »
Perfectly articulated Kev, this is exactly the problem
Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 08:22:17 am »
Lee,

Jeremy.

Hi Jeremy

I am sure Lee will articulate it further, but basically....

IOS will use its cellular connection for Internet traffic whilst also connected to a WiFi network, but only as long as the DHCP service on the WiFi network doesn't give it a Default Route or any DNS entries for the WiFI connection.  As soon as the DHCP server on the WiFi network gives out a Default Route, or a DNS server, then IOS thinks it should be an Internet connection and sends all the traffic to the WiFi network - even though there is no Internet through it.

So, just "don't publish a Default Route / DNS entries from the PilotAware DHCP server" you say - the second half of the problem, is that UDP Broadcast traffic does not seem to be accepted by IOS over its WiFi connection, unless that connection has a Default Route and DNS servers defined.  One of the apps Lee is trying to support has 'CollisionAware' built into it, and send the GPS data over a UDP broadcast - hence the need to accept it...

Cheers
Kev

You could go "round" the DNS by issuing the likes of OpenDNS addresses, which would still be valid to be used.  It's tricky over the route, as you could use RFC3442 to send a specific route via DHCP - but this can be "seen" as an attempt at a man in the middle attack but could be worth a try.

Would multicasting the data cause the same problem with iOS?

I have seen one product create a hotspot for devices then not issue addresses, so everything picks a random number in the 169.254.0.0/16 range as per the spec.  Then they used multicast and unicast to pass traffic around.  You can set the PilotAware to a specific address, so it's still accessible.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

rg

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 09:17:00 am »
Does this version now support use of BlueNMEA?