Author Topic: SOLVED! - LED interrogation  (Read 15043 times)

AerialRob

Re: LED interrogation
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 10:21:26 am »
Hello Lee

Just powered up device away from any possible satellite signal and the gps green Led flashes so I don't think it flashes to indicate satellite acquisition .

So for some reason the initial power up this morning failed to start the gps .

I will continue testing.

Thanks
Regards
Bryce

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 10:22:44 am »
I've set up a PAW with two people who have this type of glass. With one I just hung it on the power lead, with the other we strapped it to some counterweighted ruler or something.

The GPS only flashes when it's receiving a signal, well on the way to obtaining a lock. If it's downstairs indoors, away from any windows, it won't flash.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:24:42 am by Paul_Sengupta »

AerialRob

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 10:25:57 am »
Hello Lee

Just powered up device away from any possible satellite signal and the gps green Led flashes so I don't think it flashes to indicate satellite acquisition .

So for some reason the initial power up this morning failed to start the gps .

I will continue testing.

Thanks
Regards
Bryce

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 10:42:44 am »
Ah, repeat posts. In which case...

"The GPS only flashes when it's receiving a signal, well on the way to obtaining a lock. If it's downstairs indoors, away from any windows, it won't flash."

;D

I can see one of mine not flashing at this very moment!  ;)

I've spent many an hour trying to get my GPS to flash. When attached to the unit and downstairs, even near my window, it doesn't flash. The signal even by the downstairs window is very patchy, maybe suffering interference from my TV/AV gear. Upstairs in my paper house, it seems to work even when away from the window, though gets more satellites when near the window. I also get more ADS-B near the window. I don't receive EGNOS even next to a window - my house is east/west facing, I really need south facing for EGNOS but my next door neighbour's house is in the way! Might try it out in the garden in a mo.

For consistency, always try it outdoors.

AerialRob

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 11:19:43 am »
Just undertook another test inside the house with the gps dongle covered with a metal saucepan.
Powered up device and gps dongle green led did not flash. No satellites shown on homepage.
Moved powered device into garden and gps green led commenced flashing and 8 satellites shown on home page.
Without the saucepan shielding the gps I manage to receive satellites in the house and away from windows.
I must have thin walls and basic glazing.

Bryce

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 11:27:22 am »
I've just experimented with a couple of my GPSs. One of them doesn't flash if it's not got a lock. Another one seems to flash all the time though. I even put it on an extension lead and dangled it down the fins of a radiator and it was still flashing! Must be ultra sensitive, or the extension lead was acting as an aerial.

How did you see inside the saucepan?  ???  :)

DaveStyles

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 11:38:15 am »

We'll add that to the operating instructions

"Do not cover your device with a metal saucepan, this will affect the GPS"  ;D  ;D  ;D

I wonder if anyone else can place the conversation....

"It doesn't say 'DON'T pour washing up liquid into it"

"Well, it wouldn't would it, it doesn't say 'Don't chop it into little pieces, put it in a paper bag and flush it down the toilet' "

"Maybe that's where we are going wrong"

"Vivian, put the video down"

;D

Admin

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 12:00:59 pm »
Young Ones !

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 12:19:50 pm »
"Have we got a video?"

What I want to know, as a Welshman, was it a big saucepan or a little saucepan, and did the cat scram young Johnny?

Admin

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2016, 12:59:53 pm »
"Have we got a video?"

What I want to know, as a Welshman, was it a big saucepan or a little saucepan, and did the cat scram young Johnny?

well as a welshman, then it would be 'Sosban Fach'

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2016, 01:38:43 pm »
Sosban fach yn berwi ar y tân,
Sosban fawr yn berwi ar y llawr,
A'r gath wedi sgrapo Joni bach.

A little saucepan is boiling on the fire,
A big saucepan is boiling on the floor,
And the cat has scratched little Johnny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXLlMTgfsrU

Anyway, I assume AerialRob has got everything working now?  ;D

exfirepro

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2016, 05:00:30 pm »
You guys are cracking up! You need to get out flying more often  ;D ;D

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2016, 05:46:37 pm »
The aeroplane's in having an oil leak checked at the moment, so I'm having a weekend of gardening, interspersed with forum reading.

I think it's that way round.

AerialRob

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2016, 06:48:43 pm »
Hello
Well not sorted but making progress.
Weather not suitable here for flying so we undertook a test in the car parked in a relatively clear sky area.
4 green flashing led's on the device , gps green led flashing with 8 satellites listed on the home page and all green flags.
Skydemon showing ADB-S contacts around the local area.

When a second tablet was connected gps signal kept dropping out on Skydemon requiring the "fly" button to be selected again . GPS drop out occurred quite frequently but reduced when mode s range was reduced in both distance and height.
Any thoughts ?

Regards
Bryce

Admin

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2016, 07:06:06 pm »
When a second tablet was connected gps signal kept dropping out on Skydemon requiring the "fly" button to be selected again . GPS drop out occurred quite frequently but reduced when mode s range was reduced in both distance and height.
Any thoughts ?

Q. You say gps signal dropping out on SkyDemon, do you really mean connection ?

Is the message
"Connection to GPS is lost" - this means a WiFi connection issue
or
"Seeking GPS Satellites" - this means a GPS Fix issue

Q. Was the dropout occuring on both tablets or just one ?

Q. What are the types of the tablets which were failing and/or working ?

When reconnecting to PilotAware please go back to the homepage and take a look at UPTIME, if this is a low number it means that the unit rebooted, if it is increasing monotonically, then the power has remained up.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:13:26 pm by Admin »