Author Topic: Sharing a Pilot Aware unit  (Read 5213 times)

pauldgardner

Sharing a Pilot Aware unit
« on: June 02, 2016, 10:09:38 pm »
I have a half share in a Zenair 601XL based at Compton Abbas and have just bough a PAW for our aircraft.
Does my flying partner just have to ask for a licence with his own MAC address to use it?
Are there any plans to incorporate dual setups for PAW so that we don't have to reconfigure each time we change iPads when flying?
All the best,
Paul

Richard

Re: Sharing a Pilot Aware unit
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:18:49 pm »
The simple answer is simply, no! You can both use it without changing any settings. You just setup your own iPad to your single PAW and your good to go. You can even both conect your iPads at the same time.  You just need to add your aircraft info in the settings.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:20:42 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 10:21:12 pm »
Good isn't it?  ;D ;D ;D

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 10:22:31 pm »
Hi Paul,

I think you are getting confused.

The MAC address to which the Licence is linked is the MAC address for the Raspberry Pi computer which forms the core of your PilotAware. As long as the unit is licensed, there is nothing to stop the members of your syndicate sharing it. They do not each need a licence.

There is no need to reconfigure the unit providing it has been configured for your shared aircraft and is still being used in the same aircraft. Each user only needs to connect their own tablet to your PilotAware WiFi in a similar way to what you would do with your home WiFi router, then connect from the navigation system on their own tablet as described in the 'Software and Configuration Setup Guide' in the 'Documentation and Getting Started' section of this forum (this and the information subsequently displayed can vary depending on which navigation system you each use).

In fact as Richard has said above, it is perfectly possible for more than 1 tablet (even with different Navigation systems) to connect to a single PAW at the same time. We regularly run multiple android and/or iPad tablets together in testing with different navigation systems with no problems.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:38:01 am by exfirepro »

pauldgardner

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:28:54 am »
Thanks guys.

Yes, I was confused which happens more and more these days.
Mentally I still feel as though I am eighteen but the brain and body disagree.

Yes, I thought that I had read that the mac address was for the tablet but of course is the mac address is for the Raspberry Pi.
A moments thought would have realised my mistake.

Bring the screens nurse!

Paul

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 02:16:22 pm »
No problem Paul. No spring chicken myself - now definitely the wrong side of 60. Keep up the good work.

Peter

thearb

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 05:32:38 pm »

Mentally I still feel as though I am eighteen but the brain and body disagree.

Paul

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what happened.

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 06:21:30 pm »
Yeah, that's about right!!

PS my wife Liz likes that and agrees  :) :)

Peter
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:39:14 pm by exfirepro »

AlanG

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 09:40:17 pm »
Mmmmm  No comment!!!!!!!!