Author Topic: Extension leads  (Read 2989 times)

the_doc

Extension leads
« on: May 28, 2016, 09:16:01 am »
I noticed the aerial extension lead on the store. It is 3m long though. Is it possible for someone to explain what connectors (presumably gold SMAs), cable and techniques should be used so that users can make custom length cables for their aircraft?

(or buy a 3m lead and chop it down to length?)

Keithvinning

Re: Extension leads
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 10:22:11 am »
In my experience 3M is long enough and the attenuation is acceptable. You are correct that the connectors are SMA for P3I.

Regards

Keith

Admin

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 10:30:55 am »
Couple of things to be aware of.
Firstly coax, must be 50ohm, and at least rg174 quality to avoid loss, rg58 is usable but tends to be a bit thicker and less flexible.
Connectors are SMA, be careful not to acquire reverse polarity RP SMA

As Keith mentioned we have tested  the 3m extension and monopole in his A/C with excellent results

JCurtis

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 10:55:02 am »
It depends on how long you need, Rapid Electronics do a good value 30cm lead..

http://www.rapidonline.com/truconnect-rg174-300mm-sma-cable-assembly-sma-connector-16-1570
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

the_doc

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 01:51:09 pm »
Thanks Guys.  Sorry Keith, 3m is just too long, I was trying to reduce excess cable.

Thanks JCurtis - that's a great help.

I'm just mindful of wanting to reduce the amount of items on my glaresheild, partly to improve my view and lookout, and to regain a place for my coffee cup again!