Author Topic: PilotAware Unit Trials  (Read 37234 times)

thearb

Re: PilotAware Unit Trials
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 11:04:21 pm »
Will anyone be flying near Northampton this weekend?  I am about a mile north of M1 J15, and I could leave my newly built PA (ICAO 406B99) running, I would love a range check, and to see something other than airliners.

Will be over you around noon.

Richard W

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2015, 12:45:31 am »
Will be over you around noon.

Your ID please?

thearb

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2015, 07:40:36 am »
40526F

GarethHorne

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2015, 08:02:27 am »
Hoping to take my PilotAware box flying for the time later today, don't think I'll get far from base ( Netherthorpe) but it'll be interesting to try it in the Eurostar (G-CCSR, Hex: 404B54)  and see what shows up on SkyDemon.

thearb

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2015, 01:10:30 pm »
Squawking like a good 'un, exactly where you said you would be.

Can't put up screenshot until later as the file size has to be reduced.

thearb

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2015, 06:02:50 pm »
Screen shots

thearb

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 06:03:45 pm »
And another

thearb

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 06:05:11 pm »
Finals for sywell

captchaos

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2015, 06:47:34 pm »
Flew up to Sywell today and saw the Award collected on Lee's behalf. Ran PA on both flights and seemed to work well other than the plane fix in SD froze and clearly wasn't tracking. Happens once on the way up and twice on the return. wifi dongle was still connected and collisionaware still connected. No adverse display in SD, it eventually seemed to clear itself. SD on iPad mini does not have this problem.

https://flic.kr/p/zAnJZy

https://flic.kr/p/zmaVzT
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:52:34 pm by captchaos »

GarethHorne

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2015, 09:30:55 pm »
Took my PilotAware box along to Netherthorpe today, and took it up for a local flight this in the Eurostar this afternoon. The pilot aware box was powered on for 4 hours continuously (running off a Portapow battery pack) with no issues. I simply strapped the box to a A4 file behind the seats as a first trial, don't know if this is optimal or not.

A friend was in the left hand seat which left me free to play with the Nexus 7 (2012, running KitKat 4.4.1 with PilotAwareAndroid and SkyDemon installed). Had the setup running for a couple of hours before we set off, plenty of commercial traffic detected flying at altitude over the airfield.

On departing Netherthorpe, SkyDemon did not detect we we moving, still giving our position as on the ground at the airfield, despite being 5 miles south of the field. The detected traffic continued to move on the display however, so the ADS-B side of things was still working. Quit PilotAwareAndroid and SkyDemon, restarted PilotAwareAndroid (let it detect the WiFi hotspot, and fix GPS position) then restarted Skydemon and connected to the PilotAwareBox. GPS position then correct and remained so for the duration (75 minute) of the flight.

Plenty of commercial traffic detected well above us but despite it being a busy Saturday afternoon for GA traffic, none of the other light aircraft we spotted showed up on PilotAware - an indication of the lack of take up of ADS-B I guess (its something we're looking at doing with our aircraft, but we've not implemented it yet). An interesting first test, I was getting a 'blip' every 2 seconds on 869.4 on a handheld scanner so I'm fairly sure the unit was transmitting, but I've no indication of how well the signal is propagating.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:26:04 pm by GarethHorne »

captchaos

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2015, 10:32:03 am »
Gareth, I had that "freezing" of position fix three times in two flights yesterday but with ipad solution rather than android. Like you the wifi connection and collionaware semed to be fine. One freeze was for around 95 seconds.

ianfallon

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2015, 11:23:34 am »
You won't see much GA with ADS-B out unless lucky enough to spot someone on the NATS trial or a big training operation like at Oxford with 7 Senecas I see at low levels on my unit shooting the ILS.

In terms of GPS I suspect having a uBlox GPS dongle might help - it's one less link in the chain as you don't need the collision aware app running.

rg

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2015, 01:21:21 pm »
It would be interesting  to see a map showing PA users. 

ianfallon

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2015, 05:27:48 pm »
Good idea - we could make a Google map and people can add themselves to it so you can then PM anyone local to you

GarethHorne

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2015, 07:36:46 pm »

In terms of GPS I suspect having a uBlox GPS dongle might help - it's one less link in the chain as you don't need the collision aware app running.

I've got one on order, it's on the slow boat from China though, so I thought I'd give the PilotAwareAndroid app a go whilst I'm waiting. The internal GPS in the Nexus 7 tablet has always worked fine with SkyDemon in the past, although I do agree having everything self contained in the one unit sounds preferable, functioning independently of anything else on board.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:32:46 pm by GarethHorne »