Author Topic: PilotAware Unit Trials  (Read 37029 times)

stephenmelody

PilotAware Unit Trials
« on: September 09, 2015, 08:50:20 pm »
Hi all,

I'll be out this weekend trialing my PilotAware system around the east midlands.

On Saturday i'm planning a trip from Nottingham, zone transit of East Mids, zone transit of Birmingham and inbound to Shobdon.

Sunday is undecided yet and it's all weather dependent.

Thought it would be good to keep a thread open on people who are planning on trialing their device so others could look out for them (but not fly so close as to cause an airprox...  :P :P)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:54:50 pm by stephenmelody »

BobD

Re: PilotAware Unit Trials
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 12:16:15 am »
Good idea Stephen.

I will hopefully be flying from Gamston to Leicester between 11-12, and then returning between 2-3 on Friday 11th September, and will have my PilotAware unit with me.

BobD

stephenmelody

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:41:33 am »
BobD, you're not too far away from me...

If I can get my device built this evening, I'll put it in the window of my house tonight and leave it running all the way through tomorrow. You should be able to pick me up, my location is just to the south east of Hucknall disused. Depending on how close you come to Nottingham, you might get me.

I'll PM you if I've got it built, would be good to get some feedback from you as to if you found me at all!!

Cheers,

SM.

trapdoor

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 10:02:14 am »
If anyone is flying down the Bristol Channel coast from The bridges to W-s-M or perhaps even across to Cardiff may see my 'ground station' as I'll be running mine over the weekend - unfortunately not flying. If you are under the Bristol CAS (base at 1500) with the standard SD filter on, you should be able to see me.

I'd be interested in any feedback if you do.

thearb

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 12:25:04 pm »
here's a link to the early pilotaware history and some of the trials.

http://www.microlightforum.com/showthread.php?10804-New-gadget-what-s-it-worth

stephenmelody

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 08:09:47 pm »
Took my PilotAware out tonight to give it some trials, went to fly over where BobD lives, but couldn't pick him up.

He was in his garden and I flew literally over the top.

I was having problems mounting the device within the cockpit of the PA28, difficult to get a good place to put the aerials due to the slant of the screen.

How much effect does the angle of the aerials have? At one point I had to have it laying horizontally - where's the best place to mount the device?

Cheers.

SM.

trapdoor

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 08:47:23 pm »
Flying directly over the top probably wasn't ideal - lot of airframe to shield the relatively low power of the ARF(s). Did he pick YOU up?

In relation to antenna position, again, vertical is best (read that as vital) due to the way these antennae propagate the wave. Which antenna are you using for the ARF? Is it the one supplied with the module (that's about 6" long?). I don't use that but a small 45mm helical antenna which is the only thing that will fit on the coaming of my Pup.

One other thing, are you and 'BobD' sure your ARF's were transmitting?, as I have had two occurrences of mine NOT transmitting - I think the common factor was that I connected to the PilotAware unit too quickly - basically as soon as the SSID came up - and I wonder if that stops the ARF config happening (need to look on the console to verify). I check mine with a comms receiver but not everyone will have one. I am looking to fit a Tx on LED on my kit to confirm the transmitter is running.

stephenmelody

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »
Ok... I over exaggerated. I don't know where BobD lives, but I flew up towards where he lives, turned overhead the general area and tracked back on a reciprocal.

Vertical is really difficult to do in a PA28, I need to find somewhere else to affix it to, I think at one point it was interfering with my radio (or not... hard to say, but it's the first time it's done it).

I'm using the 6ft aerial (hence my issue placing it in a good place) - Neither of us were connected to monitors I don't think so I can't confirm if we were transmitting and neither of us saw each other.

The Tx LED mod would be good, would be interested to know parts and instructions for that.

I'm not sure if the iPad connects immediately it finds the SSID - are you talking about connecting to the wifi, or connecting PilotAware?

You're not in the East Midlands by any chance...???  ;) ;) ;)

Alan Walker

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 03:42:43 pm »
I'll be tootling in an area between Cheddington (Halton) - Daventry - Westcott tomorrow (Sept 13th) between 1100 and 1400 subject to weather.

Anyone else in my neck of the woods around during those times?

Al

peastlake

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 03:54:17 pm »
PilotAware seemed to work well last weekend to France and back. Plenty of what I assume were CAT seen on SkyDemon. I even eyeballed some of them! But they were all rather higher. Don't think I saw any PilotAware hits?

Is there anyway of testing that the radio unit is transmitting and receiving properly, other than finding someone else with one!

bendavis

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 09:42:08 pm »
I'll be tootling in an area between Cheddington (Halton) - Daventry - Westcott tomorrow (Sept 13th) between 1100 and 1400 subject to weather.

Anyone else in my neck of the woods around during those times?

Al

I'll be out testing mine about the same time near Buckingham / Aylesbury depending on wx

ianfallon

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 04:01:05 pm »
Message me if anyone is likely to be over the Banbury area, ideally over Bloxham just to the south  :)

falcoguy

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 11:08:25 am »
See the fly in at fenland on Saturday 19th Sept John Parker and I will be there (weather permitting) with PilotAware units.  We are hoping to have something in the tower too!
A separate topic raised in general discussion
dave t

ianfallon

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 07:16:52 am »
Anyone likely to be flying near Banbury over the weekend ? If so will leave mine running ...

thearb

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 10:10:10 am »
yes probably this evening or tomorrow, can you give me a postcode.