Author Topic: Distinguishing PAW, ADS-B and Mode S  (Read 10926 times)

gilest

Distinguishing PAW, ADS-B and Mode S
« on: May 23, 2016, 04:00:10 pm »
Is there a way to distinguish the type of traffic received in the PAW traffic interface (not on SkyDemon or RunwayHD)? I assume the traffic with no distance is Mode S but how does one distinguish between PAW and ADSB? Also can anyone explain the various columns displayed in the PAW traffic interface. I would like to know when I am seeing another PAW transmission.

Similarly does Sky Demon or Runway HD differentiate between ADSB and PAW when it displays traffic?

Admin

Re: Distinguishing PAW, ADS-B and Mode S
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 04:17:22 pm »
Firstly, you are correct about the Mode-S / ADS-B difference.

A PAW Transmission will NOT have a Signal Strength displayed
Also the SQ(uawk) code will be the PAW Group-ID of the transmitting Aircraft

The NAV tool does not distinguish, because it is not told there is a difference, it is just told there is traffic.
The one reservation is where your PilotAware, and another Traffic item have the same Group-ID, in this case
the Flight-ID is enclosed in '#', so if your Flight-ID is G-ABCD and we are in the same Group-ID, your A/C
will be displayed as
#G-ABCD#
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:20:34 pm by Admin »

gilest

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:49:33 pm »
Thanks. So the main indicator of the traffic detected being from a PAW transmission is the SQ column displaying Group-Id which by default will be set to PAWGRP?

What about the other columns? Assume these are not displayed if PAW but I have noticed that most transmissions that I have seen do display a SIG - so I assume ADSB - but most have no data in the other columns. What are these transmissions? Why do some AADSB have SIL/SDA etc but other not?

SIG - Signal strength? 0- 250??
Vers - Version.  0,1,2
NACp - Navigation Accuracy Category for Position. 0 - 11
SDA - System Design Assurance. 0 - 3
NICa - Navigation Integrity Category. 0 - 11
SIL - Source Integrity Level 0 - 3
SILs - SIL supplement. 0,1
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:21:58 pm by gilest »

SteveHutt

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:19:58 pm »
See definitions in Part 3 here:
http://www.icao.int/APAC/Meetings/2016%20ADSB%20SITF15/IP08_USA%20AI.4%20-%20ADS-B%20Avionics%20Performance%20Report-2.pdf

SILs - Source Integrity Level Supplement
This is a one bit field that informs the system if the SIL is being given on a per hour or a per sample basis, assigned as 0 or 1 respectively

There are two reason I know of why SIL or SDA may be empty:
1) ADS-B is not just one single message. It is a set of discrete messages with differing content sent at different times. For a given aircraft, your PAW may not yet have seen the message from that aircaft that contains the SIL or SDA.
2) ADS-B version 2 is the most recent version. I am struggling to remember the detail (I have posted it here previously) but if I remember correctly v0 does not support SIL or SDA. V1 does not support SDA but does support SIL, though the v1 definition of SIL is different to the v2 definition of SIL.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:46:55 pm by SteveHutt »
Steve Hutt

Moffrestorer

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 08:50:59 am »
Sitting in the Eurostar yesterday, in the the hangar with doors open, during the Shobdon Vintage Fly-In. I was setting up the audio PAW connection to the radio integral intercom. Very encouraging to both SEE and HEAR the various types of traffic warning detected from Mode S and PAW equipped aircraft joining the circuit, landing and their ground movements. I use Easy VFR so obtaining "banner"  indications with purely Mode S, rather than overlaid aircraft symbol as would be the case with SD.

Lovely job Lee and team!

The PAW audio at max volume is just about adequate (compared to RTF volume) when directly connected to the radio, though I didn't actually get to run the engine. I'm going to have to add an LM 386 amplifier to my audio mixer to get more "oomph".

Richard

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 09:33:25 am »

The PAW audio at max volume is just about adequate

I found this the same!! Can the Volume be turned up within the software, as my volume on the PAW buttons was also at max.
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 10:42:11 am »
Hi Guys,

The first time I did an audio input to my 'Flycom' intercom (for testing just prior to full release), it was through a 3.5 mm jack designed for connection to a mobile phone and the audio was really quiet. I spoke to Lee about this and he advised that the Pi Audio was already at full output. I then made up a new lead to connect into my Flycom via a specific 'audio in' 'mono' phono plug and this has since been fine with plenty of volume even at the default (middle) setting on the PAW Config.

I have a colleague who doesn't have an audio in socket on his Flycom, so input the Pi audio directly into the P2 headset socket via a 3.5 mm jack socket to 1/4" jack plug adaptor and this also works fine (though obviously only for solo flying).

I have seen several options for making connections e.g. leads to parallel the input along with the input from a headset, but can't obviously advise on specific applications as there are so many variations.

Hope you can get this sorted out

Best regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 11:16:56 am »
Hi Chris (moffrestorer)

I saw you at Shobden yesterday  :D
G-CBJR ?
So your PAW is definitely working, you must have departed early we could not find you when on the ground

Edit:
Just re-read, you were in the hangar !

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:40:10 pm by Admin »

Moffrestorer

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 01:07:48 pm »
Hi Lee,

Would have been nice to have seen you on the ground.

I was in the Eastern hangar at the far end of 09 sitting in "JR". Were you in a Rans S6 that was showing up as #AIRNG# on PAW? Unfortunately I forgot to save the traffic data so presumably lost it when I turned the PAW off. Glad to know my PAW P3i etc is transmitting OK.

Thx,

Chris

Admin

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 01:34:01 pm »
Hi Chris

No we were in G-PAWZ

Actually, now I think about it, I think it was set as AIRNG, from one of our testing days
Ooops, must remember to change back.
There was an RV landing just before us, who we managed to spot on PAW before he joined the circuit

Btw, the latest software auto saves the tracks  :D
Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:38:28 pm by Admin »

Moffrestorer

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 02:54:52 pm »
Love the reg Lee. That surely can't be a coincidence! Yep saw the RV and the plane symbols turning red as you came closer to my location. Brilliant. Also great to hear about the auto track save feature.

Thx,

Chris

thearb

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 03:07:47 pm »
Hi Lee,

Would have been nice to have seen you on the ground.

I was in the Eastern hangar at the far end of 09 sitting in "JR". Were you in a Rans S6 that was showing up as #AIRNG# on PAW? Unfortunately I forgot to save the traffic data so presumably lost it when I turned the PAW off. Glad to know my PAW P3i etc is transmitting OK.

Thx,

Chris

amazing coincidence, I was with Lee in G-PAWZ, we saw you as G-CBJR from quite a way out, but by the time I had gone back to the aircraft after landing to retrieve the unit to track you down (a bit like the iphone  location tracker, the PAW applications seem almost limitless!) you had gone off line, we checked the signing in book but couldn't find G-CBJR of course, what a shame.

We were probably showing #AIRNG# as it was one of the test units, must get that changed.

The RV in front of us was something like G-GORV.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 12:20:24 pm »
I've been in Sidcup last couple of days visiting my daughter and her new baby.

They are on the flight path into London City airport. It's surprising how much of the CAT traffic is only Mode S, including biz jets bound, presumably for Biggin Hill.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 12:21:32 pm »
None of the FlyBe aircraft seem to have ADS-B either.

Pegassusuk

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 10:11:00 pm »
Flybe use a different system -its MLAT !