Author Topic: Bridge antenna / power consumption questions  (Read 4514 times)

buzz53

Bridge antenna / power consumption questions
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:17:08 pm »
Am I right in thinking the bridge does not come with an antenna as it is not mentioned or shown? If so what should I get and from where?

What is the continuous power consumption of the entire unit with the various models of RaspPi? I have seen 0.6/0.7 amps mentioned, presumbly at 5v, but it is also specified that a convertor capable of 2A is required. Is this just to cope with power-on surge?

TIA, Alan

Admin

Re: Bridge antenna / power consumption questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:28:56 pm »
Hi Alan

Good questions

You are correct, the bridge is not shipped with an antenna.
I think ATH will shortly be putting a number of accessories on the website, antenna types included.

The power consumption is not a constant, may sound strange, but power consumption increases with computation, so imagine decoding data for one aircraft transponder versus 100 transponders, and you can see in one case it is almost idling versus being pretty busy.

In tests I have run I have never seen the draw more than 1.0A, more typical is 0.7A, so as you quite rightly allow plenty of margin

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 12:06:54 am »
Hi Lee / Alan,

I originally ran my beta PAW in my plane on a generic (probably Chinese) USB power supply via the recommended 20awg power cable with no problems whatever, but on introduction of the audio alerts, I started to experience what sounded like 'processor' noise from the Raspberry Pi on my headset, (though it may have been from my power supply) which disappeared when I pulled the audio lead from my intercom.

I solved  the problem in the short term by changing to power PAW from an 'Anker 21000 mAh Self Contained Power Pack' (battery) from Amazon used with the recommended 20awg cable.

I have since ordered and received (today) one of J C's 'Charge 4' power supplies, which should allow me to get back on 'plane power'. Relatively expensive, but hopefully problem free. I will  report back once fitted.

Regards

Peter

design4p

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:50:09 am »
Hi,

Could you let me have the supplier details for the J C's 'Charge 4' power supply.

Regards John

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:42:55 am »
Certainly,

www.charge4.co.uk

(Jeremy Curtis is a forum member)

Regards

Peter R
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:47:04 am by exfirepro »

JCurtis

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:03:27 am »
Certainly,

www.charge4.co.uk

(Jeremy Curtis is a forum member)

Regards

Peter R

*waves hello*
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.