Author Topic: ARF Shield - Digole 5v-3.3v regulator board  (Read 13762 times)

TangoIndiaMike

ARF Shield - Digole 5v-3.3v regulator board
« on: September 07, 2015, 04:45:13 pm »
Hi

I am getting the components together to build a Pilot Aware.  I am not exactly sure which ARF Shield - Digole 5v-3.3v regulator board to get given the warnings posted on this site and the forum.  I have bought this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121444120528?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

Can someone confirm its the correct one?  if not can someone send me a link to the correct one?!

Thanks

Tim

Kevin W

Re: ARF Shield - Digole 5v-3.3v regulator board
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 04:48:40 pm »
Sorry, but I don't believe it is the right one.

It doesn't have the reg soldered on in the picture, it says "The supply voltage and interface should same with your xbee", and the killer, it says "The interface voltage should same with xbee, if you need convert 5.0v interface to 3.3v xbee, use our 3.3 to 5.0v xbee adapter"

You need the 3.3v version.

Thanks
Kev

TangoIndiaMike

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:10:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  Can anyone post a link n where to get one?

Kevin W

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 05:40:04 pm »
There is a link on the page you posted in your first post :)

"The interface voltage should same with xbee, if you need convert 5.0v interface to 3.3v xbee, use our 3.3 to 5.0v xbee adapter"

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Digole-Digital-Solution_3.3-xbee_W0QQfcdZ2QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfromZR10QQfsnZDigoleQ20DigitalQ20SolutionQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ170846678QQsofpZ0

Even though that is the right version, please do still check the JMP connection is not soldered as per the faulty batch.

Or buy a PowerPod when you buy your ARF and use that:

https://www.wirelessthings.net/powerpod-1117-3v3

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,6.msg218.html#msg218

Thanks
Kev

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:42:14 pm by Kevin W »

TangoIndiaMike

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 05:54:45 pm »
Hi Kev

Thanks for the reply.  Just after i posted that i read about the Power Pod and have just ordered one!

Plus wont have to wait weeks to get it!

Tim

BobD

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 07:30:27 pm »
I am building my third unit, and using the PowerPod (as I did on my second unit). However, when booting up, after 4 attempt at 9600 Baud, and then 10 attempts at 57600 Baud, I am getting the message ARF-RS232: Configuration Failed. I assume this is due to either a 'dry' soldered joint, or a faulty ARF Unit (although all the ARF Boot messages appear the same as on the unit that works). Before I attempt to re-solder all the joints, is there any other diagnostic I can try to narrow down the potential fault ?
TIA
BobD

trapdoor

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 07:43:49 pm »
Make sure it's not a faulty RPi - I had one, bought from Amazon. The three I have bought from RS all work as expected.

Have you swapped the suspect ARF onto a known working RPi and vice versa?

BobD

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 07:52:44 pm »
The Rpi was bought from RS. I can't swap out the ARF from the previous two units I have built as they are now glued in.

ianfallon

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 09:08:01 pm »
Or buy a PowerPod when you buy your ARF and use that:

Or buy one of these instead of the POD:

https://www.wirelessthings.net/slice-of-pod-raspberry-pi-to-i-o-pod-plug-and-play-board

Unsolder the 2 extra headers from it so it fits in the box (if required), solder 4 wires to the ARF from it, stick the ARF to the underside of it, plug it into the Pi and you're good to go. Plus you can move it from Pi to another as you don't need to glue it to the box 8)

BobD

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 11:15:46 am »
I am building my third unit, and using the PowerPod (as I did on my second unit). However, when booting up, after 4 attempt at 9600 Baud, and then 10 attempts at 57600 Baud, I am getting the message ARF-RS232: Configuration Failed. I assume this is due to either a 'dry' soldered joint, or a faulty ARF Unit (although all the ARF Boot messages appear the same as on the unit that works). Before I attempt to re-solder all the joints, is there any other diagnostic I can try to narrow down the potential fault ?
TIA
BobD

In case this was a dry joint, I re-soldered all the joints, tested it and it worked ! I then glued up the parts, and assembled the case, and re-booted. Guess what .... "Configuration Failed".............Grrrrrrr   >:(

Admin

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 11:55:01 am »
TIA
BobD

In case this was a dry joint, I re-soldered all the joints, tested it and it worked ! I then glued up the parts, and assembled the case, and re-booted. Guess what .... "Configuration Failed".............Grrrrrrr   >:(

Hmm
Bob, can I ask that before reassembling, try and run a number of boots to ensure this is not exposing a software timing issue.

I have made a slight change recently regarding the baud rate between the ARF & RPi.
Previously it was always 9600 baud, where as now it boots up at 9600 baud, then it is reconfigured to 57600 baud.
This was to overcome a potential issue of data arriving over the RF faster than it could be processed.

I don't believe I have introduced an issue here, but I would like to know for sure.
Unless you can say that it reliably failed on all reboots before your re-solder ?

Thx
Lee

BobD

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 06:08:49 pm »
Hi Lee,

I am fairly sure its not a software issue that you have introduced, as until today, I still had the other two units I built, and they are working fine. I swapped several components to try to isolate the fault, and by a process of elimination, I am sure it is in the ARF/IDC/POD assembly. After re-soldering, it worked fine on a couple of boots, and before I assembled the box, so it has to be either a bad solder joint or a dicky ARF/POD. I am pretty busy over the next week, so I may wait until Jeremy has the plug&play unit available before completing this PilotAware.

Best Regards
BobD

BobD

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 06:35:33 pm »
Having seen @ianfallon's neat set-up in his thread, I have just ordered the Slice of POD to give this a try. It looks more robust that separate ARF and POD.

Exraf

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 08:24:20 pm »
Thanks for this thread as I couldn't track this regulator down either, now just have to wait to complete assembly 😎

Exraf

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 08:47:40 pm »
hi Lee

Need to check with you about the regulator?
I've ordered the following: xbee/pro/ciseco XRF breakout board to 0.1" DIP adaptor 3 LED indicator.
Is this correct ?
Best regards
Neil