Author Topic: When willl the PAW be ready?  (Read 55392 times)

SteveHutt

Re: When willl the PAW be ready?
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2016, 10:39:50 am »
Hi Ian,

Started this reply before Alan and Moffs responded but have posted anyway as it adds a little more info.

The key thing is that most Mode S transponders out in the field today (in GA aircraft) were not design to broadcast ADS-B , i.e. are not ES capable (Extended Squitter). And of those that are ES capable, the vast majority of those will not currently have a connected GPS to provide position data to the transponder and so will not be broadcasting ADS-B data. So, right now there are relatively few GA aircraft which are broadcasting ADS-B data.

The main reason why basic Mode S was introduced was to reduce the rates of transmission. With Mode S the ground station can interogate individual transponders by including the ICAO hex code of the target transponder and only that target will respond. With mode A/C the problem is that all Mode A/C transponders respond to every interrogation.

So.... PAW needs to calculate threat distance for non-ADS-B Mode S transponders based on signal strength plus can see relative height separation from the target's broadcast altitude. PAW also calculates threat distance and bearing and relative height from Mode S that is broadcasting ADS-B data but that is far simpler using the broadcast GPS position data. PAW can ignore any 'pure' Mode S broadcasts from the ADS-B broadcasting aircraft because it can correlate the same ICAO hex ID in the ADS-B messages and the 'pure' Mode S messages. I also believe that same Mode S transponder also outputs some  'pure' Mode A/C style messages (with no ICAO hex) and these are ignored too.

The difficulty as I understand it with trying to assess threat distance based on signal strength for Mode A/C broadcasts is to do with trying to correlate the Mode A/C data and Mode S data from the same aircraft, which I have been advised is almost impossible and hence presents the problem of systems showing two discrete threats when there is actually only one.

Steve
Steve Hutt

Ian Melville

« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2016, 10:47:03 am »
Thanks Alan,
You haven't told me anything that I didn't know and much of it I posted above. In fact my understanding of Mode S and ADSB was pretty close to the mark all along. What has confused me is where we had referred to non-direction transmissions and mode A/C transmissions, are now being referred to as Mode S on this forum.

Ground stations, air traffic etc, obtain positional info from mode S only aircraft via the primary radar.
Not sure that is correct. My understanding is they use ADSB transmission if available, and verify it is bonafide against the Primary return. Otherwise they would not have needed to upgrade the radars?

Thanks Steve, that does make one thing I had forgotten, that Basic Mode S does not have positional data. Makes total sense now.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:54:34 am by Ian Melville »

exfirepro

« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2016, 11:18:03 am »
Hi Ian,

Sorry, this was supposed to come before Alan, Chris and Steve's replies and your update but decided to post it anyway in case it helps others.

Yes, that (your second last post) about sums it up, though it's not quite as straightforward.

For many months non-directional bearingless transponders have been referred to as mode A/C in all posts and it was the aim of PAW to try and provide some warning of these. Keith's news post is the first time I have seen these being called bearingless mode S.

As I explained above, the transmissions from all transponders, whether mode A, C or S are 'bearingless', because they contain no position location information (except altitude in mode C or S), which is why it takes a very expensive ground radar system or 100K commercial TCAS to work out where they are. Even then, the accuracy of that information is dependent on a number of factors including geography and the density and type of radar stations. What Lee has been trying to do is provide us with warning of the presence of these aircraft by extrapolating from the basic information that transponders provide. In an ideal world, we would like to know the location of all transponder equipped aircraft, but this of course gets much harder the less information the transponder provides,  viz Mode S is 'easier' than mode C, which is significantly easier than mode A (which only transmits a squawk code).

It is important to note that, contrary to popular belief, transponders are 'passive' devices, which ONLY transmit in response to a ground radar or TCAS interrogation.

Most recent mode S transponders (the newest and most technically advanced versions of transponder) are capable of being 'adapted' to also work as more precise active ADSB transmitters by providing a suitable gps position input as Alan and Chris describe, but very few have actually been 'converted' principally due to cost, though as Chris says, this is now much cheaper and easier for permit aircraft as cheaper non-certified gps sources (including PAW) can be used to do this.

As you are aware, ADSB then transmits accurate positional data, making it 'relatively' easy to display their position on screen ( if you can do the magic software bit). This therefore is the 'easy bit' hence it is already fully implemented.

Since getting this part working, Lee has done considerable work to develop the programme to provide reliable information for transponder contacts (unreliable information simply discredits the system and leads people to distrust it), whilst at the same time being heavily committed to developing the replacement RF Bridge for PAW's own 'mini' version of ADSB. I and others in the Engineering sub group have been assisting him with the mode S testing and the new Mode S and audio alerts are the result.

Mode S transponders have co-located ADSB transmitter, which periodically transmits ADSB packets which contain data of interest to PAW such as Aircraft code, height and position. ADSB packets can also be transmitted without a Mode S transponder.

Why would PAW need to try and figure the threat distance from a Mode S transponders Bearingless transmission when it can also see it's ADSB packet? Which is why I am puzzled by Keith referring to them in his news update.

Most Mode S transponders do not transmit ADSB for the reasons explained above. If they do, PAW uses the ADSB signal and effectively 'ignores' the mode S one. But there are an awful lot of mode S transponders out there not transmitting ADSB which would otherwise remain invisible.

Ground stations, air traffic etc, obtain positional info from mode S only aircraft via the primary radar.

Not sure that is correct. My understanding is they use ADSB transmission if available, and verify it is bonafide against the Primary return. Otherwise they would not have needed to upgrade the radars?

Not the case Ian - According to reports no UK ATC units currently use ADSB! Scary or what!!

In practice ATC units now use very expensive Secondary Surveillance Radar (SSR) to determine the location of transponder equipped aircraft (search Wikipedia).

Alan/Chris/Steve, Sorry to cross post - it obviously took me a lot longer to type out and check such a complicated reply on a mini iPad! Especially as every time I went to post another one of you had got in before me!!

Best regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:24:24 pm by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2016, 12:14:07 pm »
Thanks you guys for taking the time to explain this to me. Much of it I already understood, however Steve put his finger on it when he mentioned Basic Mode S, which I had totally forgotten did not include positional data. All the documentation I have bee reading, including some very high brow papers refer to Mode S standard in which ADSB features. No mention of a Basic Mode S anywhere.

I think we can lay that question to rest now. My other question has not been responded to regarding License upgrades should I want to upgrade to a Pi2
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:42:46 pm by Ian Melville »

Bill Maxwell

« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2016, 01:51:57 pm »
Ian has neatly summarised the debate about ADSB in its various guises - and equally brought us back to my theme of earlier today. Over to a spokesman for the team, please.

Bill

GarethHorne

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2016, 06:22:57 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm only guessing, but obviously the beta licence is specific to the MAC address, so probably not migrateable (is that a word?). As Keith says in his News post, the B+ units still run with original ADSB functionality and as the whole ethos of see, be seen and avoid relies on the P3i Bridge part, new licences are being sold (once the shop opens - hopefully soon!!) with either full kits or Bridges. In the meantime, I see Lee has provided a link on the Licensing and Downloads page for a 28 Day Demo Licence. I haven't tried it, but this might be the answer to getting your Pi2s going until Bridges are released. Worth a try and please post to let the rest of us know if it works (or not).

Regards

Peter

Did as you suggested Peter and registered by Pi2 MAC address for a demo license. All went smoothly but it appears the demo is a 7 day, rather than 28 day as the website says. The 192.168.1.1  homepage now says 'PilotAware Version(20160502) License Expires(20160513)' after I enter my new licience code.

Anyhow took it flying this afternoon from Netherthorpe and it functioned as expected, detecting the airliners way above me. Didn't encounter any bearingless Mode-S targets, despite spotting a few other GA aeroplanes out and about. Hopefully the demo license is longer than a week, that doesn't give long for folk to get is set up, book an aeroplane and go fly it a few times.

How much more power is the new PilotAware Classic going to draw? With my old Pi1 the PortaPow battery pack seemed to last for ever, I'm not certain it was fully charged today but running the Pi2 it was out of juice by 5PM, and that was in ADS-B configuration, without it powering a bridge. Might be time to think about a bigger battery for it.

Admin

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2016, 06:42:12 pm »
Hi Gareth

Did as you suggested Peter and registered by Pi2 MAC address for a demo license. All went smoothly but it appears the demo is a 7 day, rather than 28 day as the website says. The 192.168.1.1  homepage now says 'PilotAware Version(20160502) License Expires(20160513)' after I enter my new licience code.

Thats a mistake, I will take a look

Anyhow took it flying this afternoon from Netherthorpe and it functioned as expected, detecting the airliners way above me. Didn't encounter any bearingless Mode-S targets, despite spotting a few other GA aeroplanes out and about. Hopefully the demo license is longer than a week, that doesn't give long for folk to get is set up, book an aeroplane and go fly it a few times.

Mode S detection, is disabled by default, did you enable this under the 'configure' menu ?

How much more power is the new PilotAware Classic going to draw? With my old Pi1 the PortaPow battery pack seemed to last for ever, I'm not certain it was fully charged today but running the Pi2 it was out of juice by 5PM, and that was in ADS-B configuration, without it powering a bridge. Might be time to think about a bigger battery for it.

Very little difference, depends upon activity, but typically less than 1.0A

Thx
Lee

GarethHorne

« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2016, 06:49:11 pm »
Thanks Lee - In my haste to take it flying I'd missed that configuration setting for Mode S detection on page 2! Now enabled. Good to hear its not significantly more power hungry, I'll recharge my battery pack and see what results I get. Looking forward to getting a 28 day demo licence and giving it another go :)

exfirepro

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2016, 08:23:10 pm »
Hi Gareth,

Glad to hear the Demo Licence option worked, if only for 7 days. I'm sure Lee will sort it.

Just in case you don't know, Mode S contacts are indicated on screen (SkyDemon) by a small white aircraft symbol piggybacked on top of your aircraft and showing a relative altitude above or below you. Obviously, the nearer the contact is to your altitude the higher the potential risk. If this is the case look for the aircraft outside, not on the screen. The Pi2 also outputs audio which can be fed into your intercom, though the method depends on your system. ADSB alerts follow the format 'Traffic, 'X o'clock, level,  y kilometres'. Mode S alerts will be of the form 'Traffic Notice', Traffic Alert', and finally 'Traffic Danger' as the contact gets closer, though it obviously may not do so e.g. if it is passing across or parallel to you, or if it comes close and then moves away. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Regards

Peter

GarethHorne

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2016, 08:35:53 pm »
Thanks Peter, that's useful information, I'll have to investigate how to get the audio output wired into the headsets.

Bill Maxwell

« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2016, 08:17:29 am »
Hi Peter

Can the audio alert be configured by the user? I would prefer consistent use of the same measuring system rather than mixing them, i.e "Traffic, X o'clock, level in feet, distance in miles"

Bill

gvpsj

« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2016, 08:50:12 am »
Morning All

Agree in keeping to standard aviation units all round

Cheers

John

Alan Walker

« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2016, 09:26:16 am »
Wot the previous two posters said.

Standardisation is all.

Al

exfirepro

« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2016, 09:48:26 am »
Hi Bill / John / Alan,

Units are fixed. I don't know why Lee has used kilometers to show distance - this may be a feature of the original source information.

Bearing in mind that ADSB equipped aircraft can appear 'on screen' from up to 100 miles/km out or more, audio warnings for ADSB aircraft are only given for traffic which is 'Level' - i.e. at or near your own altitude, 'Above' or 'Below' at a point where the aircraft is near enough to be a potential hazard, but far enough out to give sufficient warning to see and avoid. No specific altitude is given in the audio warning, merely the term 'Level', 'Above' or 'Below', but the relative altitude displayed on screen is given in feet above or below your aircraft.

In practice as the audio alert is only bringing the presence of aircraft already visible on screen to your attention, I haven't found the units a problem in testing, though I must say I did wonder (but didn't ask) as I would also normally use 'miles'.

The Mode 'S' warnings simply state 'Traffic Notice'...'Traffic Alert'... and 'Traffic Danger'... in order, based on received transponder signal strength from predetermined triggers as a mode 'S' aircraft approaches. No distance is given, because it's not accurately known. Again, relative altitude (+ or - to your own) is displayed in feet next to the piggybacked 'Mode S Aircraft' symbol which appears on top of your own aircraft.

The relative altitude information helps identify whether you need to look up, down or otherwise to see the other aircraft and helps identify whether you might need to climb or descend to avoid conflict. As the pilot, however, it's of course up to you to interpret the information, identify the traffic (in the case of a Mode 'S' 'Traffic Notice...', if you can't see it after a thorough 360 degree check it's probably a high powered CAT transponder too far out to be a problem) and take any action necessary to avoid.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure Lee will come back to us to clarify why kilometers are used.

p.s. Post updated in response to Lee's later post (below) to avoid potential confusion

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:23:56 am by exfirepro »

gvpsj

« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2016, 10:01:51 am »
Hi Peter

Thanks, I am old enough to be pretty ambidextrous with units (groats, chains, perches etc. are a bit of a problem to convert in my aged brain?). But ATC (ICAO) and all do give separation distance in miles (Nautical).

No problem, looking forward to buying devices and bits.

Cheers

John