Author Topic: I new to this but think this is a great project but have a few things I'm not on  (Read 10799 times)

Moffrestorer

Also just to clarify, my Trig TT21 transmits around 130W Pulse power (I think that is the correct term).
The actual DC current drawn by the transponder when in operation is between 0.4 and 0.5A.
I only have a 12V 4.5AH rechargeable battery in my aeroplane which I have to charge at home (no aircraft charging system). I get around 7-8 hours of "flying time" out of the battery and that is powering a Becker AR3210 radio and my Trig transponder.

Tony

Hi Tony,

If you're worried about battery capacity, might I suggest using a power bank to power the PAW and your Samsung. There was discussion  in the "Power Supply and USB Power cable thread" (on P7 of General Discussion). On 9 November at 01:00am Paul Sengupta posted about the Anker 20100 power bank together with a link to Amazon. I bought one on the strength of his recommendation. It's truly excellent, though may be more capacity (and hence weight) than you might actually need. I bought it to power the PAW at home for setting up/testing, but it's also great for recharging mobiles, IPad etc especially when on the move.

julianwebb

Message for Paul

hi Paul,

This is what I was meaning when I said "last resort for NATS" As you probably know if there is an infringement by an aircraft without a Transponder NATS have no idea at what level its flying so they have to treat it like a vertical cylinder moving across the surface and direct aircraft around it maintaining I think 5 nm at all times. If there was a broadcast on 1090 of just the ES although its from a non-certified source NATs could use it as a "last resort" as mentioned below. Also we would have a standardized frequency at 1090 which many other TAS would be listening to. Not sure if we are too late to transmit on 1090 in this project or if its possible?

Interview with NATS:-

We have quite a large airspace infringement issue across the NATS operation and particularly in the Southeast of England,” Jonathan Smith, NATS general aviation lead told Avionics Magazine, noting that thus far the ANSP has implemented a range of measures to mitigate the airspace intrusion by GA pilots who might wander into controlled airspace. “But one clear facet of these events is that we are far better able to mitigate the risk if we have electronic emission off the airframe. Now, I’m not necessarily saying a transponder, for obvious reasons, but what I [as an air traffic controller] need to be able to do is to detect the presence of the airplane electronically at which point I can enable all kinds of electronic safety nets, which I know can deliver genuine protection from the risk of the incursion taking place.”

According to Smith, the riskiest events that occur as far as airspace intrusions often come from aircraft for which Air Traffic Controllers (ATCs) cannot detect vertical extent. This means that ATCs often has to assume that a GA aircraft is operating below controlled airspace based on a radar return without information on how high the plane is flying, but if this isn’t the case, then safety takes a huge hit. If the transponder is able to provide a more pinpointed location, an ATC can enable safety nets to keep GA operators separated from commercial airliners or other aircraft that may be operating nearby.
- See more at: http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/topstories/NATS-ADS-B-Transponder-Trial-Tests-GA-Operators_84118.html#.Vv59GfkguUk

Regards

Julian

Moffrestorer

I'm sure I've read in a number of places that NATS do not (will not?) make any use of our ADS-B 1090Mhz ES transmissions. Conversely, CAP 1391 section 6.12 says the ANSPs (NATS) can use 1090 ES from an EC device for visibility of GA. I'm a trifle confused by the apparent contradiction.

AlanB

I'm sure I've read in a number of places that NATS do not (will not?) make any use of our ADS-B 1090Mhz ES transmissions. Conversely, CAP 1391 section 6.12 says the ANSPs (NATS) can use 1090 ES from an EC device for visibility of GA. I'm a trifle confused by the apparent contradiction.

NATS do not currently provide the 1090 ES date to ATC although they have a system on trial across the south of England which currently is receiving and recording ES data for analysis and has been used to validate and analyse those transponders that have been used to broadcast non certified GPS position date.

The ES data is additional to the Mode-S response that is transmitted by the transponder and the Mode-S data also Contains the aircraft ICAO address codes as well as the Aircraft I'd. ATC do have visibility of the Mode-S data hence they are able to see your Callsign if you have the SSR Monitoring SQWAK set and they want to talk to you because you are telling them you are monitoring that frequency.

There are currently some countries, mainly where conventional radar sites are few and far between, where ADS-B is used by ATC and I have seen these in my professional travels, I used to work for NATS.

Currently in Europe the only country that mandates a Mode-S transponder with ES is Holland for their North Sea operation where radar is unable to provide the low level coverage. I am am sure, personal opinion,  that will change as the reliability and integrity data for the ES information is gathered and demonstrated to provide information to meet ATC requirements.

Hope that helps

Alan
Europa XS Mode-S ADS-B out enabled.

scsirob

NATS do not currently provide the 1090 ES date to ATC although they have a system on trial across the south of England which currently is receiving and recording ES data for analysis and has been used to validate and analyse those transponders that have been used to broadcast non certified GPS position date.

It's funny to see how technology moves so much faster than reality in the established organisations. I work in IT, and when the traditional IT departments can't or won't deliver certain functionality, users work around it and start using Dropbox, Onedrive etc. We call this 'shadow IT'.

Same is happening in aviation now. Here in The Netherlands, Dutch Mil is so understaffed that they don't even deliver basic service anymore (as stated in NOTAMs). They also do not provide access to their data streams from 1090 ES. So when I arrived at EHTX (Texel) yesterday, the tower guys have a nice big screen with FlightRadar24 on it. Real-time ADSB 1090 ES tracking, not bound to any official organisation, but entirely usable. This is 'aviation shadow IT'. And so is PAW. PAW is 'give me TCAS, but not at the cost and rigidity of real TCAS'.