Author Topic: Windows 10 & SD Formatter  (Read 22671 times)

Richard

Windows 10 & SD Formatter
« on: November 11, 2015, 07:21:41 pm »
    I have been having problems Formatting the SD cards with SD Formatter V4 using windows 10. It appears to not be supported, The SD Format seems to work OK but after installing the Zip file of PilotAware onto the SD card and after installing the card to the Raspberry PI B+ It seems to crash on the first boot and install. I have not had a problem with Windows XP works OK

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:30:07 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

ianfallon

Re: Windows 10 & SD Formatter
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:54:11 pm »
Did you definitely format with "FULL (Overwrite)" not FULL (Erase) or other options and with the resize option ON ?

It's critical to use those settings. If the formatted ran OK I'd be surprised if it was a Win 10 issue.

Also can you define "crash" ? If you have a monitor connected to the HDMI what do you see ?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:56:27 pm by ianfallon »

Richard

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 08:08:32 pm »
Hi Ian, Yes Tried it both ways....
Full Erase & Format Size ON...  Comes up with a Error message " Format Fail Remove card and try again"
Full Overwrite & Format Size ON  Takes longer and appears to work says " Format Complete"

It is when the PI installs on first boot, it fails. With the monitor it starts displaying the codeing and not the PilotAware Logo and the % bar., Some times it just Hangs with a blank screen.

I have updated the versions many times now on Windows, This only appears to be Windows 10.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:13:45 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

ianfallon

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 08:32:53 pm »
Very strange - sadly (or fortunately) I don't have Windows 10 to try here.
There might be other drive partitioning software you can try.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:35:38 pm »
Are you copying the zip file onto the card? Is that how it should be done? I've always gone into the zip file and copied and pasted all the files therein to the card.

Richard

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 08:49:40 pm »
The correct way is to select the zip file and then press the extract option at the top of the window. Point to the SD card and extract. Once extracted copy the files to the root. Easy takes just seconds to do. The problem is that Windows 10 does not format the SD card correctly. There is another post by EricC who had the same problem.
Richard.
Europa XS

EricC

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »
Re previous posts.     Tried again, reloaded the formatter4.  No success.
The micro sd card I used has been previously formatted with my samsung andriod tab.
l asume this may be the reason why.

I am to long in the tooth regarding computers so always asume I have screwed up.

EricC

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:26:09 pm »
Screen pictures during format.

colinmackenzie

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 10:26:42 pm »
I am a Windows 10 user, to date not had any problems.

I have successfully formatted and loaded 2 Kingston 8GB cards and 1 Sandisk 16GB card on a Dell with on board card reader/writer.

I'm sure I follow the instructions on Lee's 0.3 document...I may have taken shortcuts whilst doing so!

If requested, I will try the process tomorrow and document exactly how I do it, though I'm pretty sure I mostly follow the manual.

EricC

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 10:29:13 pm »
Result of format.

Richard

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 08:55:39 am »
EricC, Yes This is the same results I'm experiencing. It did work OK once for me with no problems.

I just had a thought. Are we formatting under the Administration privileges on widows 10. Or are is it because we are signed into our own account on the windows 10?

I will try this latter today to see if it make a difference.
Richard.
Europa XS

EricC

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 11:40:29 am »
Sorry not a clue.  I am using a sd card formatted for me by a colleague
and working ok in my pilotaware unit, so no panic regarding update.
Thanks.

Ian Melville

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 05:41:39 pm »
You cannot run SD Formater without admin rights. If you account does not have admin rights you will be prompted for the admin password.

Just testing this myself as I have both Win7 and Win10 boxes

Ian Melville

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 06:12:12 pm »
Worked fine for me on a Win10 account without admin rights. I was prompted to use admin password to run the SDFormatter application.

Richard

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 06:41:45 pm »
Ian the problem seems to be when you extract the Pilotaware files onto the formatted sd card and try to run a new setup on a pilotaware pi. Can you try this as though you were setting it up for the first time or a version updates using Windows 10. See if it installs on the pi.
Richard.
Europa XS