Author Topic: Voltage error message on iphone  (Read 1231 times)

Dave jones

Voltage error message on iphone
« on: September 17, 2023, 02:45:11 pm »
I’m getting a Voltage error message on iPhone, while using it as hotspot for the radar screen/ I grid.
Everything is green on the Pilotaware Home Screen except red showing voltage error. However the radar screen seems to work very well with all the targets showing and any rain in the vicinity visible.
Also I can get the met and aircraft info up when needed. Any thoughts from the experts out there much appreciated

steveu

Re: Voltage error message on iphone
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 04:14:25 pm »
I think the iPhone is a red herring. The PAW just monitors voltage and complains if it is too low.

How does the PilotAware get its power input?  Via an Anker 12V to USB converter, a Charge 2/4 or a power pack, or something else? If a power pack is it low?

If something else then this is very often the problem. There are recommended power sources for a PAW and using other things is often the source of problems.

Is anything plugged into the PAW USB ports other than the GPS, Wifi dongle or the SDR modules? If so, unplug it, as charging something over and above the standard complement of modules is also a known point of failure.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 05:51:52 pm »
I have also seen issues with multiple devices sharing a power pack

Dave jones

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 06:23:10 pm »
I’m using Rosetta. The following in the USB ports : dongle, GPS, aircrew, and Wi-Fi. The PAW is powered from the 12 volt cigarette lighter using an Anker QC adapter. Even with the voltage error message on the iPhone the radar screen seems to be giving me all the info it’s supposed to and generally works very well

steveu

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 06:39:12 pm »
I’m using Rosetta. The following in the USB ports : dongle, GPS, aircrew, and Wi-Fi. The PAW is powered from the 12 volt cigarette lighter using an Anker QC adapter. Even with the voltage error message on the iPhone the radar screen seems to be giving me all the info it’s supposed to and generally works very well

With all due respect, the "it is working so what is the problem?" approach has a slight flaw in the logic.

When the voltage is low, the processor may throttle itself in terms of processing speed/power and whilst things will work, they will not necessarily work how they are meant to.

The voltage alarm is most likely caused by the Aircrew device, if it is powered via its USB port, unplug it and the problem will probably go away.

If you need a data link to the Aircrew device to display traffic, then see if you can power the device directly with 12V in and just use the USB for data input.

There is a 12V input on the back.

I think you'll find elsewhere on this forum that people have been advise against powering Aircrew from a PAW...

Lee can give you precise details about how much throttling affects the PAW, but if you continue to use it whilst throttled you are asking for  other problems to arise at some point.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 10:00:53 pm »
I am not so concerned about throttling as the PI is hugely powered for its tasks

I would be more concerned about triggering brown outs and reboots
The warning is there for a reason

As Steve says, I would unplug the aircrew and see if the issue resolves

Thx
Lee