Author Topic: P3I not connecting. RED status when others are GREEN  (Read 1222 times)

DerekJ

P3I not connecting. RED status when others are GREEN
« on: April 23, 2023, 04:26:41 pm »
When I fly the PAW shows a red for P3I on the Home screen. Status, 1090, Barometer and GPS all show green. Doesn't pick up nearby aircraft although GPS location is ok on SkyDemon.

When I take it home to check all 5 go green. It's done this a couple of time so it doesn't seem to be a radio bridge problem or a loose connection.

What else could it be?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 04:32:19 pm by DerekJ »

exfirepro

Re: P3I not connecting. RED status when others are GREEN
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 11:29:38 pm »
Edited to improve clarity and provide a bit more detail

Hi Derek,

There are several obvious differences between the two screenshots, but it's extremely difficult to determine a cause remotely as we have very limited information available.

The term 'Unavailable' usually indicates that the device pertaining to the function is either ''not present' (for example it has been removed or accidentally become disconnected) or is defective in some other way. So although you say 'it doesn't seem to be a radio bridge problem or a loose connection', these are to my mind the most likely issues which would cause this response, i.e. something (in this case the Bridge) having come loose and moving in flight, yet not moving when on test at rest later at home. That said, there is a standard sequence of checks to try, to help pin down the fault.

The first is to confirm that you have a good solid reliable power supply. Up to around 90% of PAW faults can be traced back to power supply issues. This doesn't seem to be a problem in your case as the power status reports are all showing 'OK' in both screenshots - but I would still perform a 'wiggle test' of the power cable with the unit up and running to check the integrity of the microUSB connection at the PAW and the integrity of the power cable as a matter of course. Watch for any changes to the power reports or any change in the 'steady solid red' Power LED under the PAW antenna (difficult to see but usually visible through the slots next to the power plug). Another common power issue is that the power cable has been 'swapped out' (deliberately or accidentally) and the 'replacement' is of inferior quality to the one originally supplied by PilotAware - you'd be surprised at how often this proves to be the problem.

The next thing I would do is check that the microSD card is properly seated in its slot (between the two antennas) by carefully removing and replacing it (with the unit powered off). If that doesn't show up a fault, try powering up the unit connected to a monitor or TV via the HDMI socket on the PAW to see if this shows up any software loading issues. If it gets to the 'login prompt' without any errors or showing (in red) or freezing, all should be OK (you don't actually log in at the login prompt - this merely shows that the boot sequence has finished). Again I'd be surprised if this shows any issues in your case, but always worth checking anyway.

If nothing has shown up in the earlier checks my next step would be to check that the bridge is correctly mounted onto the Raspberry Pi inside the case, and that the connection between the P3i antenna and the Bridge is intact. To do this, you need to open the Rosetta case - which you may not want to do if the unit is still on warranty. If you do decide to do so, first remove the cap from the end opposite the antennas by gently pressing down in the centre of the cap next to the join to release the clip, then sliding the cap away from the main body of the Rosetta. It's worth checking at this point for anything out of place or loose in the USB sockets inside the end cap.

Next remove the P3i antenna from its SMA connector and remove the brass nut which secures the SMA (and Bridge) into the top half of the case. (You don't have to remove the nut from the 1090MHz SMA, but it would be advisable to remove the antenna) and remove the microSD card by carefully pulling it out of its slot between the two antenna connectors (if you don't remove it at this point, you risk physically breaking the card as you split the case). You are now ready to split the case itself. There are two hidden clips on each side holding the upper and lower halves of the case together. They can be released by carefully inserting a thin blade into the joint between the two halves of the case at the appropriate points and pressing it in firmly but carefully  - just enough to release each clip in turn. It's best to start with the clip which is located approximately midway between the 3.5mm Audio Socket and the now open end of the case as this is the easiest to find and release. Once this clip has been released it makes it easier to find and release the next one on the same side - which is midway between the power and HDMI sockets. The clips on the other side of the case (which are located at corresponding points to the ones on the first side) can then be released by gently inserting the thin blade or even a thumb nail, following which the top of the case can be removed by lifting and carefully slipping it off the P3i SMA connector.

Having opened the case, you then need to check two things - first that the SMA connector is still intact on the Bridge board (i.e. it hasn't become physically detached from the board - usually as a result of physical force having been applied to the antenna) and second that the Bridge is fully and squarely seated home on all 40 GPIO pins onto the Raspberry Pi motherboard. If either of these are incorrect, you have found your cause. If not, or if you don't want to disassemble the unit, I'd suggest returning the unit to PilotAware for further examination and testing (contact support@pilotaware.com to arrange this).

Best Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 08:20:20 am by exfirepro »

DerekJ

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 06:50:17 pm »
Thanks Peter for the very detailed reply. I had a concern it was related to the old transponder, but last flight it worked ok. Perplexing, but gives a higher likelihood that it's a connection problem relating to vibration in the a/c. Any more problems and I'll follow your suggestion of opening the case and checking for connection issues.
Derek

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 12:20:38 pm »
Hi Derek,

Great to meet up with you at Popham at the weekend. Glad to know it's now working OK. Investigations into exactly what caused the issue are in hand and we will post on here if we need to.

Best Regards

Peter