Author Topic: What's in the 20230228 software release?  (Read 2545 times)

Young_C

What's in the 20230228 software release?
« on: March 11, 2023, 04:12:41 pm »
Hi,
Please could someone help me to understand what is in the latest (20230228) software release. The PilotAware website appears to be out of date since it talks about "The second fantastic software release for 2022 is available now." and gives details iGRID features.

However, I cannot find any release notes for v20230228.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Young.

exfirepro

Re: What's in the 20230228 software release?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 08:37:50 am »
Hi Chris,

I don't know the full details, but I know it contains a number of very important bug fixes and a facility to allow PAW units to automatically download future software updates in the background - if you are running iGRID and your connection is live.

After loading this version, new software will automatically download to your unit over 4G and you will then get a prompt on the PAW Radar Screen (if you are using it or when you next log in to 192.168.1.1) to tell you that new software has downloaded and is available for installation. If you don't habitually use the Radar Screen, it is worth checking periodically for any notification, either there or on the 'Upgrades' Screen. You then simply select the appropriate option on the 'Upgrades' Screen to initiate the installation and await the reboot. Just don't power down the unit while installation of the new software is actually in progress.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Peter

grahambaker

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 02:03:30 pm »
It would be really useful to know what bugs have been addressed.

The 'over the air' update feature doesn't really interest me as the additional faff factor associated with iGrid is a step too far for me.

steveu

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 10:10:25 pm »
The 'over the air' update feature doesn't really interest me as the additional faff factor associated with iGrid is a step too far for me.

Over the air did my licence update, unless I imagined it.. Was well pleased.

iGrid is potentially complicated unless you have a separate Internet source - I do, and it's worked very well, turn Huawei Mifi on before start up procedure, turn off after shut down procedure.

SGS66

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 10:18:43 pm »
Had a flight today and saw the update notification on the radar screen at ‘on blocks’, so went to the update option using ‘go to’ and pressed a button, not being sure whether  the ‘reset’ option’ was going to be necessary, after a short while I was notified that the Rosetta was rebooting and as nothing further happened on my iPad, I checked with my phone using 192.168 etc and bingo my PAW was reporting the latest software on the home page. Bingo. No idea how the magic works. Great. Thanks Lee.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 11:52:00 am »
Hi All

Actually most of the changes are enhancements with iGRID, SkyGRID
in particular you will notice there is now an Airfields option, as a menu screen, and map annotation
If an airfield has a weather station this will uplink data about wind direction, speed, QFE etc
A number of airfields are now installing these weather stations to accompany their ATOM station.

Also a lot of telematics have been introduced, particularly useful for users of iGRID, this feeds back data to us so that we can identify any issues, with the software - and of course notify you when new updates are available as noted on this thread !

Thx
Lee

neilld

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 02:00:42 pm »
Any chance of a datasheet or one of Keith's slick youtube videos to explain the new features?

Young_C

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 07:21:19 pm »
Thanks for this info Lee. I understand that most of the changes are with iGRID.

I'm interested in whether there have been any changes to the audio alerts?

We find that there are an excessive number of audio alerts for bearingless contacts which come through even though we have disabled them (see attached settings picture). We get multiple alerts “TRAFFIC NOTICE”  “TRAFFIC ALERT” “TRAFFIC DANGER”- usually 1000'+ below, especially when near airfields. I'm not sure whether this is a bug or whether there is another way of disabling these?

Any help would be appreciated.

rhine

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 06:53:53 pm »
Noticed the ......

'airfields are now installing these weather stations to accompany their ATOM station'

I have 3 x ATOM stations and am interested as to the nature of this integration and how I can effect it.

Can someone educate me please? Thanks, Richard
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:13:33 pm by rhine »

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 04:41:48 pm »
I would like know more about that as well.

Ray McKeown

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 04:34:11 pm »
Weather station integration to ATOM......any info?

Whoops...... should have read further!!  It's Option 2 from the ATOM Shell menu. It asks for station name   and the API key. I have to do some further digging to find that ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:38:10 pm by Ray McKeown »

Keithvinning

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 06:57:47 am »
Thanks for this info Lee. I understand that most of the changes are with iGRID.

I'm interested in whether there have been any changes to the audio alerts?

We find that there are an excessive number of audio alerts for bearingless contacts which come through even though we have disabled them (see attached settings picture). We get multiple alerts “TRAFFIC NOTICE”  “TRAFFIC ALERT” “TRAFFIC DANGER”- usually 1000'+ below, especially when near airfields. I'm not sure whether this is a bug or whether there is another way of disabling these?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Chris

I notice that you have Mode-S/3D disabled? Did you mean to do this? This converts Mode-S bearing less into targets with a bearing. This is one of the key features of PilotAware!

Cheers

Keith

SteveT

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 04:58:23 pm »
For the weather, you need to have a weather station that links to WeatherUnderground. The one at Broadmeadow is setup here: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IHEREF95
You then configure the API Key in the Menu and point it to the API key for WeatherUnderground and it should connect.

Young_C

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2023, 06:17:14 pm »
Hi Keith,
Yes we were trying to eliminate all the bearingless contact alerts since we found them excessive. However if this option converts them into contacts with a bearing then that would be more useful. So we'll try turning this back on and see how we get on.

Thanks for the tip,
Chris.

neilmurg

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 05:29:12 pm »
.....we were trying to eliminate all the bearingless contact alerts.....
I connect to SD for voice alerts, it doesn't annunciate bearingless, reduces the number of contacts it warns for, includes airspace warnings and the runway you're entering. SD still displays the bearingless rings tho'.
We're lucky that the audio panel can receive the SD audio via Bluetooth or PAw audio from a phono cable