Author Topic: Sharing Internet Connection  (Read 1152 times)

cfarrell

Sharing Internet Connection
« on: January 22, 2023, 02:08:16 pm »
I'd like to ask a question that I asked a few years ago, in case a new solution has been found since then!

I am using a Pilot Aware Classic and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Tablet.

My Tab S6 is wifi only and so when it's connected to the Pilot Aware via Wifi, it has no internet connection. This means that I can't update weather inflight on my tablet.

The Tab S6 is connected to my aircraft via Bluetooth, so that I have aural warnings through the aircraft intercom. So Bluetooth to my phone for internet connection isn't possible either as Bluetooth is already in use.

So my question is, is there a way to either:

1. Have the Pilot Aware act as a router, with my phone as the gateway. So anything connected to the Pilot Aware network, when requesting internet access, is directed to my phone (which is also connected to the Pilot Aware network). In essence, Pilot Aware sets up the network, and my Tab S6 tablet connects to it, as does my phone. When my tab S6 (or Pilot Aware itself) wants internet access, the request is routed to the phone which has a GSM connection. Is that possible?

or alternatively,

2. Is it possible that the Pilot Aware, instead of setting up its own network, can simply join another network as a client? In that case, I could set up a mobile hotspot on my phone, and have the Pilot Aware and Tab S6 Tablet connect to it. The other devices would have internet access from the phone's hotspot, and the Pilot Aware would broadcast the traffic info to all devices on the network. This would involve Pilot Aware being a client rather than a host. Is that possible?

Hopefully there is a way of doing this since I last asked  :) If not, then sorry for the repeated question!

Colm

Admin

Re: Sharing Internet Connection
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 02:26:57 pm »
Hi Colm

I think what you are asking is possible with iGRID
Take a look at piloaware.com to read up
If you connect pilotaware to a router/hotspot, it can be enabled as a router itself, so any client can access the internet

Thx
Lee

cfarrell

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 03:21:36 pm »
Thanks Lee. I'll give that a read.

cfarrell

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 06:08:43 pm »
Thanks. I've a new wifi dongle ordered from your website. Hopefully this can make all this work for me  :)

cfarrell

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 08:03:36 pm »
Hi Lee,

Just to let you know that the iGrid dongle arrived today.

It's achieved exactly what I want it to do.

My setup is:

Android tablet (wifi only) is connected to my PAW Classic.
My PAW Classic is connected to a hotspot created on my android phone.

Now my Android Tablet can see all the traffic from PAW (including iGRID traffic downloaded from the hotspot on my phone). But crutially for me, my Android Tablet (which is only connected to the PAW) now has full internet access. So EasyVFR4 can also download it's weather data, Airspace Plan, Notmas (not that I'm likely to be downloading those in flight!) etc. I've full internet access now (even emails/web browser etc).

Brilliant. That's worth for more to ME, than the iGRID data. I appreciate others might have different priorieties, but for me this is perfect. You should market that as a further benefit of the iGRID system. Not just traffic but now pull internet access!

For anyone else trying to do this, there is a setting on the network page called "Router". For me this was initially disabled and while I could get iGRID traffic, I could not get internet access. Once I changed that to "Enabled" it worked perfectly.

Thank you for the support!