Author Topic: Adding USB switch  (Read 1324 times)

a.alexeev.p

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
Adding USB switch
« on: June 08, 2022, 03:04:41 pm »
Hi,

I know that power supply quality and cables is very important, so any tweaks need to be made very carefully, but may be somebody had luck using a USB switch, so that PAW could be easily switched on and off? If so, are there any recommendations/links to amazon you could share?

Thanks!
Alex

steveu

Re: Adding USB switch
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 03:15:43 pm »
Hi,

I know that power supply quality and cables is very important, so any tweaks need to be made very carefully, but may be somebody had luck using a USB switch, so that PAW could be easily switched on and off? If so, are there any recommendations/links to amazon you could share?

Thanks!
Alex

If it's a permit aircraft then the install SMM suggests a power switch on the dash and a fuse. This would switch the +12V to the Anker 12V/5V converter...

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 04:18:50 pm »
sorry, I mean for portable use :-D My PAW and power bank are both always in a bag, so I wanted to add a usb switch to outside of the bag, so I do not have to go inside to power up or to recycle power say...

steveu

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 04:50:59 pm »
sorry, I mean for portable use :-D My PAW and power bank are both always in a bag, so I wanted to add a usb switch to outside of the bag, so I do not have to go inside to power up or to recycle power say...

There are loads on Amazon but you will need to check the cable is of the same diameter as the Juicebitz or similar cables provided with the PAW.

Spec is:

American Wire Gauge (AWG): 20C/28D (C=Charge, D=Data)

So the AWG 22 cables on Amazon like this are too thin:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PNGKNYOCN-Computer-Peripheral-Low-Power-Electrical/dp/B09JNRHSLN/

This looks like a better idea in AWG 20:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UCTRONICS-Switch-Raspberry-Supply-Extension/dp/B08C7HZ97L/

Good luck, report back?

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 10:44:14 pm »
thank you, will do! I tried one in the past actually and it worked ok, but I did get some issue eventually and removed it... But thought may be I could find something that actually suits. Will advise once test :-) Thanks again!

Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 07:11:29 am »
All of these I have seen in the past have under performed due to the cable quality
Thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 09:09:54 am »
All of these I have seen in the past have under performed due to the cable quality

I agree.

I would suspect that the claims for the cable quality/diameter are optimistic at best, and the switch longevity will play a part. After a few cycles the cheap switch will either go intermittent or develop some resistance.

At least the PAW will be able to complain in its own way if the power is poor.

Ergo the good luck. My experience with power packs in PG flight decks is to plug and unplug, before and after flight, and leave well alone in between...