Author Topic: Old registration showing  (Read 2201 times)

Martino

Old registration showing
« on: May 19, 2021, 10:14:00 pm »
Hi there;

We have PilotAware Rosetta and currently no other hardware of relevance (half way through a transponder change).

The aircraft was recently reregistered - the new details are correctly setup in the configuration but the aircraft is still appearing to ATOM stations (eg Turweston) as the old registration.

Any ideas please?

In particular I’m worried that we will have future ghosting issues once our new mode s txpdr is installed

Thanks for any advice!

exfirepro

Re: Old registration showing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 10:32:16 pm »
Martino,

PilotAware (and AFAIK, ATOM) calculates aircraft RegIDs from an installed database by reference to the transmitted ICAO Hex ID for each individual aircraft. I presume this HexID has changed with your reregistration, so can’t understand why the ATOM station should still be reporting it as your old RegID. Can you please post a screenshot of your current PAW Configuration.

Regards

Peter

Martino

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 10:40:42 pm »
Thank you for the response Peter

The HexID stays the same across the registration change - so it appears that the new registration needs to be updated in any databases to be associated with that hex

I’ll post a config screenshot next time at the aircraft

Thanks for the help

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 08:06:37 am »
Hi again Martino,

Thanks for the quick reply. That certainly explains why the system(s) are still displaying your old RegID, but I’m confused. Are we talking about a UK Registered Aircraft? It would be helpful to be aware of the background (reason for) the reregistration.

I have just dealt with a couple of cases where UK Flexwings had changed from GT450 wings to new QuikR (topless) wings and were still reporting as their ‘old’ RegID because they hadn’t changed their HexID to the new one in their PAW and/or transponder. This type of ‘upgrade’ is fairly common in the Flexwing world - and only two of many such changes over the past few years at my local airfield alone. In each case, changing the wing requires reregistration of the aircraft - as the original registration stays with the WING (which is often ‘sold on’ for use on another aircraft). In each case, the aircraft then takes on the Registration of the ‘new’ wing and its associated ‘new’ ICAO HexID.

Best Regards

Peter

p.s. - you shouldn’t have any ‘ghosting’ issues as long as the HexID in your PAW and transponder are both the same.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:12:50 am by exfirepro »

Vince

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 08:39:02 am »
Two different things:
  • First is change your reg to another but the aircraft stays the same so hexid does not change
  • Second change your wing hence its a different aircraft so requires a new reg and hexid

Hexid is assign to the aircraft and not the reg. The aircraft database on each PAW and station will need to be change to reflect the new reg.
Sign up to Stranded Flyer to assist your fellow aviators in those difficult situations.

www.strandedflyer.net

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 09:53:13 am »
Hi Vince,

Thanks for the info. That obviously makes sense and would explain why @Martino’s HexID hasn’t changed. It’s the same in principle as changing the registration plates on a car - the VIN number of the car doesn’t change.

My experience (in this regard), however, has been mainly with flexwings - where wings are ‘swapped’ fairly frequently, especially since the introduction of the lower drag ‘topless’ (i.e. no upper rigging wires) style of wings. The CAA have decreed that in such cases the Reg and HexID always stay with the wing and a new Reg (and Hex) are issued to the new wing. This has always struck me as weird - as the trike / engine of a modern flexwing forms (arguably) an equally significant part of the ‘aircraft’. Nonetheless, that’s the way the CAA have decreed it, so we are stuck with it I guess!

I’m not sure how easy it is to update the RegID on the database we use, but Lee will no doubt advise once he sees these posts.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 10:06:52 am by exfirepro »

Martino

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 10:18:56 pm »
Hi Peter and Vince;

Thanks for the replies

Vince is correct, our change is scenario “1” - UK registered 3-axis aircraft; we just changed the registration to one we preferred shortly after we purchased the aircraft.

So it’s clear that the issue here is a database issue. It does sound like there’s a bit more digging required to understand where this data is stored and how it ends up being updated. Are you suggesting every PAW and ground station literally has this data native on it?

Thank you for the helpful responses so far, appreciate the progress already and will look forward to any further expansion from Lee et al

Martin

Admin

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 07:27:01 am »
There is a database on both PAW and ATOM
the database on ATOM is updated on a weekly basis
PAW is ad hoc when installed

The database is an amalgam of sources, there is no “golden reference” available from any provider, so no guarantee that this update has propagated
The real identifier, is the ICAO code, and the FLIGHTID, both of which are emitted from the transponder, and are unrelated to any database lookups

Thx
Lee

Martino

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 08:15:31 am »
Ok, thanks Lee, all understood

In short it sounds like the issue may propogate itself out over time, or may not ever!

No dramas, doesn’t affect us directly as long as we don’t get ghosting once our Mode S is installed

Was mainly querying it as we keep getting told by people with ground stations that our “Reg is still wrong”!

Thanks for the kind help

Admin

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 11:16:45 am »
Hi Martin
Please try registering on glidernet, we merge that database with our data

Thx
Lee

Martino

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 12:15:23 pm »
Great info thank you Lee