Author Topic: Another PAW Drop out!!  (Read 2487 times)

SimonM

Another PAW Drop out!!
« on: July 30, 2019, 11:04:16 am »
So, after several successful flights through France with no issues I yet again start to get issues with PAW.

No change to my kit or set up...Samsung Tab 3 8.0 (T315)running SkyDemon and powered by Anker PowerCore 20100 with genuine cable.

The tablet lost connection with the PAW just after climb out. Rather than mess around, I went to the tablet location services and used the built in GPS and continued enroute.

On landing I checked for:-
wifi connection to the PAW...All Ok.
Config web pages...Unable to connect
GPS dongle in situ and flashing... All Okay
There were some Green lights working on the board but couldn't ascertain which ones with the cover still on. (Think i'll drill some holes in the top so I can see them)

It's almost as if the software froze....but why should it if it has run successfully on previous trips?

The unit had been sitting on the coaming throughout the flight and following a reboot I accessed the config pages and noted that the temperature was 78.3 degrees...( hot but not excessive I thought)

Is there anything I can do to assist in the fault finding process as I love the unit when it works but I'm getting pretty disillusioned with the reliability at the moment?

Admin

Re: Another PAW Drop out!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 01:58:47 pm »
Hi Simon

Seems you have started a new thread but possibly entered lots of information elsewhere
So apologies for asking again (best to keep related queries in a common thread)

Which software version are you running on PilotAware ?

you say
No change to my kit or set up...Samsung Tab 3 8.0 (T315)running SkyDemon and powered by Anker PowerCore 20100 with genuine cable.

Do I understand from this it was working, OK, previously ?

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 04:04:31 pm »
Is it a Pi 2 or a Pi 3? The Wifi dongles can be a little flaky on the Pi 2. I recently had connectivity issues with my Classic, so I swapped the Wifi dongle and it was fine after that. I then tried the (suspected faulty) Wifi dongle on my home PC, connecting to my home router, and it kept disconnecting. I threw it in the bin.  :o

Good thing is they're only now 99p on AliExpress.  ;D (though I have a few at home so didn't order any more - had a few issues with them in the past hence the spare stock!)

SimonM

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 11:43:38 am »
PAW software installed is 20190621.
RPi 3b not the 3b+

I started a new thread as I believe this issue is different from my previous reporting whereby the wifi would drop out.
On this issue the wifi continues to work and (looking at wifi connections on the tablet) the tablet stays connected. However, despite apparently being connected to the wifi, I am unable to access the config pages to check the status of the PAW and either the PAW does not send information to SD or SD does not receive it. (I suspect the former due to lack of access to status pages on PAW)

This problem manifested on this particular flight but it was only 2 weeks ago I flew into France and back, about 7-8 hours over 5 flights without an issue.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 12:27:50 pm »
Hi Simon,

First my stupid question, I think you upgraded from an RPi2 to an RPi3 yourself
please confirm you are no longer using the WiFi Dongle (as the WiFi is internal)

Also, could I get the track for that flight - it may possibly include some useful information

Thx
Lee

SimonM

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 12:26:11 am »
Hi Lee,
No problem asking the question, I would have done the same. Yes I did upgrade from the Rpi2 to the Rpi3B myself and I've just got the 2 dongles installed, GPS in top left and 1090 in bottom right.
I've emailed you a copy of the track as requested but can you clarify if this is the date and time stamp?
$PALOG,20190729,090302

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:15:34 am by SimonM »

Admin

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 07:10:29 am »
Hi Simon
Yes it is
Thx
Lee