Author Topic: Setting up a dual Wi-fi on PA?  (Read 2606 times)

russp

Setting up a dual Wi-fi on PA?
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:38:21 am »
Wonder if any of the Raspberry Pi geeks on here can answer this question, (using a pi3+ not Rosetta if it matters) is it possible to use the internal Wi-fi as normal to create a network for tablets to connect to and then add a Wi-fi dongle to create a second Wi-fi network to connect to a device broadcasting a GPS signal. And if so how?

The issue I have is I have a permanent install in my aircraft and the gps module is located in a less than ideal position and I’ve seen the odd gps accuracy issue. However I do have a dynon skyview with a SIL 1 gps which outputs a gps feed over its own ‘skyview’ Wi-fi network. I can use this feed for EasyVFR but then can’t connect to PA. The iPad internal gps seems better than the one feeding PA and I’ve been using that but AIUI I can’t do that with sky demon. It seems if I can get PA to use the Wi-fi gps feed in place of the usb one I’ll save a lot of problems and / or rewiring the pa gps or a wired feed to the pa from the skyview.

Admin

Re: Setting up a dual Wi-fi on PA?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 08:58:20 am »
Russ, are you using the integral GPS or remote (mouse) GPS with PilotAware ?
Can Dynon, not output GPS over RS232 ?

Ahh, didnt read the full description about not wanting wires.

Thx
Lee

russp

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 05:13:52 pm »
Currently using the original gps dongle on a usb cable to get some view of the sky - It's not rosetta so no integral gps. Pi3+ is still on the table (the old classic is in the plane (mounted under the pilots seat with external aerials) but will be replaced by the Pi3+ next time I'm at the field). When I wired in the feed from PA to Skyview I wired up the rx and tx but looking at the PA it seems I can either set the usb port for traffic out or gps in but not both simultaniously (I think the skyview is the same) ? So I'd need a second usb cable with serial port adaptor and would have to pull the panel apart again. Was hoping this would be an easier solution.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 05:51:09 pm »
Hi Russ

a long standing todo is to accept bidirectional comms on the RS232
but it sounds like this is not worthwhile if the SkyView is not capable of providing GPS-out and Traffic-in simultaneously

Thx
Lee

russp

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 06:16:51 pm »
Seems I was wrong about the Skyview - from their install manual ...
SkyView serial ports are configured in the Serial Port Setup Menu (SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > SERIAL PORT SETUP). SkyView serial ports have four parameters that must be defined:
• Input Device
• Input Function
• Baud Rate
• Output Device
Note that sometimes a parameter will be defined as NONE on the screen. For example, when a serial port is configured as only an output, the input device and input function will both be set to NONE.

So bidirectional comms would be fantastic ... :) (Happy to beta test it...)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 06:20:01 pm by russp »

Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 06:40:12 pm »
OK, to be clear you are basically looking at (from pilotAware perspective)
IN = GPS
OUT = Traffic/Flarm

this probably needs a bit of a rework for in/out of all message types

Thx
Lee

russp

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 06:44:33 pm »
OK, to be clear you are basically looking at (from pilotAware perspective)
IN = GPS
OUT = Traffic/Flarm

Exactly :)