Author Topic: State of the Nation Address...  (Read 4372 times)

Etheav8r

State of the Nation Address...
« on: October 16, 2015, 10:50:28 pm »
Firstly I should like to thank Lee and the PAW team for having the courage to make a very difficult decision and put a stop to more people building the current ARF equipped PAW, due to severe limitations with the ARF, rather than let the issue drag on and on.

It is a pity that the message being given out at the LAA Rally seemed to be that the hardware was good to go and well sorted with impressive distance operational numbers, and that software updates would only improve the unit further.

However I am pleased that the message not to build further units with the existing ARF and associated ARF Shield - Digole 5v-3.3v regulator board has been clearly given.

So just to be clear Lee, should we now be disconnecting and removing the ARF and associated ARF Shield - Digole 5v-3.3v regulator board, and just leave the Barometric Pressure Sensor MPL3115A2 connected, and then we have a PAW capable of detecting ADS-B traffic until sometime in the future when the ARF issue will be resolved?  This is less useful in the short term to most LAA flyers, as most of the ADS-B traffic is way above us, and the real potential benefit was being seen, and able to see other PAW units, which might reasonably get a big uptake within UK Light GA, plus as ADS-B gets a greater take-up with 'high end' GA, PAW users would reap increasing benefit.

I take it we can continue for the moment to use the external GPS (I use the GNS 1000 which has worked faultlessly with PAW via Collision Aware), but at some time in the future the PAW software will no longer support this and we will need to add a USB GPS directly to the PAW?

Paul_Sengupta

Re: State of the Nation Address...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:25:40 pm »
I would suspect for the moment that it does no harm in having the ARF board, and it will also do some good. it will also help testing, possibly with positioning or antennae, or maybe just as is between aircraft. I think the idea to stop building them with the ARF boards is to save us money and time doing something which may be changed in the future. I, for one, am happy to build a unit with the current ARF and go out and have a play with friends who have similar to see what's what.

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:23:27 am »
Yes
Keep using the ARF to gather crowd data on performance range etc

The Westmorland Flyer

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 11:22:37 am »
Yes, there is no reason to disable P3i on existing ARF-equipped PAWs. I am just finishing my second PAW and certainly intend to do some flight trials of the ARF/P3i capability, if only to test my opinion that using licence-free ISM band transmitters such as ARF is not likely to be the solution.
John
G-JONL, Sportcruiser, Carlisle

ianfallon

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 03:15:14 pm »
Don't panic about the ARF just yet.
We did some air - air testing today - results coming soon.

DavidC

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 04:11:20 pm »
Timely. My ARF board has blown up/failed and I was just about to order a replacement.

Will use as GPS location source and ADS-B receiver for now, waiting for further announcements.