Author Topic: Not getting Mode C/S warnings  (Read 6300 times)

Joe M

Not getting Mode C/S warnings
« on: January 15, 2019, 12:36:13 pm »
Hi, had a Pilot Aware Classic for a year now and very useful it was in the summer showing me the many FLARM equipped gliders that were about. I'm also happy that it is picking up PAW equipped aircraft. However, it does not show Mode C/S aircraft.

I'm using it via SkyDemon on a Nexus 7, or on an iPhone - both have the same problem.

I've been through the configuration pages of both Pilot Aware and SkyDemon and I can't see an obvious mistake.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Joe

exfirepro

Re: Not getting Mode C/S warnings
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:50:43 pm »
Hi Joe,

First check is to ensure that Mod C S is selected in the PilotAware/Configure Screen - it is ‘Off’ by default to prevent new users becoming overwhelmed. If you run a transponder as well, you need to select Mode CS + Filter BTW.

Next thing is to check that you have ‘Show Bearingless Targets’ selected in SkyDemon/Settings/Navigation Options (near the bottom).

Lastly, Have you updated your PilotAware Software since you got it? Version is reported on the ‘Home’ and ‘Configure’ screens. Latest version is 20180520.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter

Joe M

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 02:03:44 pm »
Hi Peter

Thanks for the very prompt response.

Mode C/S selected,  + filter (we have a mode S Transponder).
Bearingless targets selected in Skydemon.
Software version 20180520.

Are there any other settings that I should check?
I am beginning to wonder if it is a hardware problem.

Regards, Joe

A_Vinning33

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:16:08 pm »
Hello Joe,

If you are receiving ADS-B packets and the ADS-B light is Green on the Homepage, then we can confirm that you do not have a hardware problem.
Please, can you take a screenshot of your Home page, Configuration page and Traffic page?

This will give us more information to work from.

Kind Regards,

Ash

Joe M

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 05:02:08 pm »
Hi Ash

Screenshot of Home attached, there is a Red against ADS-B.

I will send the other screen shots separately to stay within file size limits.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards, Joe

Joe M

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 05:03:35 pm »
Hi Ash

The other two screenshots are attached.

Regards, Joe

Seanhump

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 05:38:15 pm »
Evening

As has been mentioned on a recent post, what protocol are you using to connect SkyDemon to your PAW .? (when you select 'Go Flying', what options do you have ..?)

If you're using the GLD90 method then you'll not get bearingless targets - ie, Mode C/S

Cheers
Pilotaware user ...

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 06:34:29 pm »
Hi again Joe,

From your screenshots, I can see that the ADSB indicator is Red, but that just shows that no ADSB messages have been received during the last 5 seconds or so, not WHY. There is no record of receipt of any ADSB signals, which could indicate a hardware issue (SDR or Antenna), BUT at the time the screenshot was taken, the ‘Uptime’ row indicates that the unit had only been running for 5 minutes.

You need to set it up outside, with a good view of the sky and leave it running for a reasonable period of time to collect meaningful data.

I can see no other significant issues from the screengrabs you have provided. As per Sean’s post, can you confirm what connectivity Mode you have been using.

That said, it does sound like you might have an antenna or SDR fault. You can try replacing the antenna/cable with a length of fine wire. This is a fairly quick and easy test. Any fine wire will do and length isn’t critical, but it has to be a fairly good fit into the centre of the MCX connector on the SDR and mustn’t touch the outer part. This will be good enough to receive high power commercial ADSB for a test. Let us know how this goes - again screengrabs are extremely helpful..

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:41:16 pm by exfirepro »

Joe M

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 11:21:32 am »
For a variety of reasons I wasn't able to put much time into faultfinding this over the last couple of months.

I managed to borrow a friend's antenna from his working Pilot Aware Classic and fitted it to my unit and sat outside at the airfield. I still don't see any transponders.

It looks like hardware to me. Is it possible to return it for review/repair? I am happy to pay for that.

Regards, Joe

ps re Seanhump's question above, I am not using GDL90.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:40:34 am by Joe M »

Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 02:30:55 pm »
Hi Joe,

I think as Ash highlighted earlier in the thread I think you have a faulty RTLSDR

When you say you tried your friends antenna - can you explain exactly what you did - because of course their are 2 antennas
I would have tried replacing the USB SDR and antenna at the same time (that is the antenna on the end of a wire if using classic)

Thx
Lee

A_Vinning33

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 04:53:09 am »
Hi Joe,
Does the RTL-SDR in your PilotAware get warm at all? Or does it remain at room temperature?
BR,
Ash

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 10:59:29 am »
For a variety of reasons I wasn't able to put much time into faultfinding this over the last couple of months.

I managed to borrow a friend's antenna from his working Pilot Aware Classic and fitted it to my unit and sat outside at the airfield. I still don't see any transponders. [My bold - exfirepro]

It looks like hardware to me. Is it possible to return it for review/repair? I am happy to pay for that.

Regards, Joe

ps re Seanhump's question above, I am not using GDL90.

Hi again Joe,

Just re-reading back through the thread.

Don’t expect to automatically see returns from ‘Transponders’ when testing. These only occur when the transponder is being interrogated by a Secondary Surveillance Ground Radar or aircraft TCAS type system, so are much less visible - especially as you (presumably) still have your Mode CS Range set to ‘Medium’ and+/- 2000ft. That’s why I suggested looking primarily for commercial (CAT) ADSB returns, which are far stronger and transmitted automatically from all altitudes. Setting all receive ranges as wide as possible will also help. Where (in the country) are you testing by the way?

I agree with Lee that the fact that swapping the antenna hasn’t improved things is certainly pointing to an SDR failure, though your best option for testing would be to try swapping your SDR (presumably one of the standard black ‘Realtek’ ones used in the Classics) and the 1090 ‘twig’ antenna as a set, which should prove this definitively. The Realtek SDR’s in the Classics often run warm to hot BTW, so this isn’t always a definitive indication of a fault, though this definitely sounds like the most likely probability here.

Regards

Peter

Joe M

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 10:43:18 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

With Lee's (much appreciated) help I will be trying an SDR replacement.

I'll let you know what happens.

Regards, Joe

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 11:16:50 am »
Joe,

Thanks for letting us know. I am pretty sure that will fix it.

Yes, please let us know.

Best Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 04:09:20 pm »
dispatched this morning
Thx
Lee