Author Topic: Drone jamming trials  (Read 3336 times)

PaulRuskin

Drone jamming trials
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:28:13 pm »
Hi All

Just to let you know that there are plans for some military drone jamming trials in the UK Stanford Training Area (next to Lakenheath) this month.

They'll be jamming both GPS frequencies and 868 MHz - for up to 2 minutes at a time.  It will be NOTAM'd

I'd have thought that might be quite effective in interfering with GPS, Flarm, PAW and OGN-R.

Paul

Admin

Re: Drone jamming trials
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 05:39:08 pm »
Hi Paul

Jamming GPS will stop everything, as GPS is used as a position source for all EC devices

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 05:41:03 pm »
Hi Paul,

OK on the gps - they seem to do exercises with that quite often, but why would they want to jam 868? Seems a bit suspicious to me.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:09:21 pm »
OK on the gps - they seem to do exercises with that quite often, but why would they want to jam 868? Seems a bit suspicious to me.

Well the drones all seem to operate on
433Mhz, 868Mhz and 2.4Ghz
433 & 868 typically used for telemetry, so I guess they are trying to see if they could disable them

Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:51:36 pm »
In a previous life much "fun" could be had with a very low power GPS jammer / "adjuster", but the demos I had were more in the West Country rather than the Eastern region... Ah the memories...

I wonder how many automatic gates etc. they can disable at the time too  ;D
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Seanhump

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:20:22 pm »
..and tyre pressure monitoring systems too .. they run on 433 ...
Pilotaware user ...