Author Topic: Hardwiring USB components to Pi  (Read 3803 times)

onkelmuetze

Hardwiring USB components to Pi
« on: October 13, 2015, 07:01:20 am »
Has anyone put some work or thoughts into hardwiring the USB-components and put them all in one case? For use in an aircraft, I would really like to get rid of every loose connection and cable possible.

I spent some time thinking about it, should not be a big problem. I am pretty good at soldering, but I have concerns about the heat beeing produced by DVB-T and WiFi dongles cooking each other (and the Pi...).

Richard

Re: Hardwiring USB components to Pi
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 12:30:55 pm »
Im currently working on this very thing.... At present I'm awaiting Parts from Jerramy. Once they arrive I will put Photos together and post on the forum for anyone wanting to do the same thing. There is no need to hard wire in the GPS with my method. If you can hang fire a few more days I should have it all put together. The case I'm using is off the shelf so nothing special at all.
Richard.
Europa XS

the_top_pilot

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 12:46:43 pm »
On my version 1 everything is plug and play. For my second version I have removed the plastic case from the DVB-T module and removed the USB connector, I have done the same for the GPS. I have then placed out all on a Humble Pi board ARF, Baro and psu on the face that is towards the Pi the DVB-T and GPS on the outside face. The only thing I have not bothered with is the USB Wireless adaptor (Not much use splitting the atom it's already small enough). You have to saw the end off the board as it is not meant for the B+

Steve
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:25:23 pm by the_top_pilot »

onkelmuetze

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 01:03:37 pm »
C
On my version 1 everything is plug and play. For my second version I have removed the plastic case from the DVB-T module and removed the USB connector, I have done the same for the GPS. I have then placed out all on a slice of Pi board ARF, Baro and psu on the face that is towards the Pi the DVB-T and GPS on the outside face.

ould u please post a picture of your build?

the_top_pilot

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 01:26:02 pm »
Next time I have the box apart I will post photos

Steve