Author Topic: GPS via Garmin 430 + Rosetta upgrade vs DIY Rosetta  (Read 3028 times)

neilmurg

GPS via Garmin 430 + Rosetta upgrade vs DIY Rosetta
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:27:06 pm »
I couldn't find this in the forum:
Is it possible to use the Garmin 430 to give GPS data to Rosetta?

I've just plumbed the Rosetta into out share-o-plane using 2 dipoles and a USB extension lead - it looks great! Not a 'permanent' installation yet, but unobtrusive and working well.

Also, I did a homemade Rosetta upgrade as you were out of kits (and I was too impatient, they were available later the same day - doh!), it was WAAAY fiddly and ended up costing about the same compared to the official kit - I upgraded another one with the proper kit last week.

exfirepro

Re: GPS via Garmin 430 + Rosetta upgrade vs DIY Rosetta
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:46:55 am »
Hi Neil,

Nice neat job. PAW can only use GPS modules it has been programmed to recognise and in view of Garmin’s reluctance to share any of their protocols, I would guess that precludes theirs. Lee will be able to confirm.

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 02:10:49 pm »
It is possible to feed GPS strings into the USB port via a RS232 dongle. I think the limitation will be what the GNS430 can output.

This setup is used if you have a FLARM unit connected, and have removed the supplied PAW GPS.

JCurtis

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 06:08:56 pm »
I seem to recall that the GNS430 won't send 'valid' data stream out unless a route is active, but the GNS430W does. 

At least when connected to a transponder I had a friend with a 430 that the transponder wound't start ADSB-Out unless a route as active.  Comparing the 430 and 430W output the non W version set the GPS data as invalid without a valid destination/route active.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.