Author Topic: Won't connect after installing latest software  (Read 9735 times)

design4p

Won't connect after installing latest software
« on: June 29, 2018, 11:03:35 pm »
Hi,

I have installed the latest software and now I cannot connect my Pilot Aware to my ipad Sky Demon.

I have the ipad wifi connected to the Pilot Aware and I have (in Sky Demon) Third Party as Pilot Aware ticked.  When I click - Go Flying in Sky Demon I get a message - "No data has been received from your GPS device for some time and the connection is therefore lost.  Check your device settings to ensure connectivity then try again".

Can anyone help with a solution. - Regards John

exfirepro

Re: Won't connect after installing latest software
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 11:13:41 pm »
Hi John,

Is this a PilotAware Classic or Rosetta?

What software version did you update from (approximate date will do)? and what update method did you use?

Have you checked the status on the PilotAware Home Screen via 192.168.1.1 on your browser? Are you getting 5 Green Status ‘lights’ or at least 4 x Greens + Red ADSB? Can you post a screenshot of the Home Screen please. This can help diagnose what the problem might be.

Try changing your Third Party Settings in SkyDemon to ‘FLARM’ with ‘Air Connect Key’ 6000 - does it now connect using ‘Go Flying - Use FLARM’?

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:17:53 am by exfirepro »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 08:18:33 am »
I think there have been other problems with iPads reported here on the forum. I think Lee has suggested clicking to forget the PilotAware network and then reconnecting again? Something like that.

The other thing, if you're connecting on "PilotAware", can you try connecting on "Flarm"?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:21:04 am by Paul_Sengupta »

design4p

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 08:48:20 am »
Hi,

Thank you for the assistance I did look at my 192.168.1.1 and noticed that it said Licence expired. So tried to log on to my account  Pilotaware but that said my email was not recognised.  Anyway I have emailed Pilotaware to check my account.  It seems strange that my subscription is due just when I updated the sofware.

Thanks again for the advice.  John

Keithvinning

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 10:20:17 am »
Hi John
How did you do the upgrade? Was it manual if so you will need to re enter your Key

I have checked the records and find

The software key for your unit with MAC address B827EB5794F1 is : 5D9F-C6F8-9270-29B0
This is valid until 17-May-2019.

Regards

Keith

design4p

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 01:21:47 pm »
Hi,

I have attached a screen dump of my main page.  Only one green box remainder red.

Does this help with the solution.  Regards John

Ian Melville

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 04:01:52 pm »
It helps. Your PAW cannot see a GPS dongle. Can you confirm that it is plugged fully into a USB port and that the ports are all configured to auto (screenshot of config page).

design4p

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 04:38:43 pm »
Hi,

Yes the GPS dongle is fully inserted and I have uploaded the Config page which shows Auto for the USB settings.

Regards John

Admin

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 04:51:52 pm »
It’s definitely a GPS issue, the dongle was not listed in the devices

Can I ask what power source you are using

Thx
Lee

design4p

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 05:52:29 pm »
Hi,

My power supply is a Power Pack (Anker) PowerCore 20100 (20,100mAh - 5v).

I have always used this power pack in the aircraft.

Regards John

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 11:50:32 pm »
Hi again John,

I'm confused :-\

Your first post in this thread was on June 29th, effectively stating that... 'having installed the latest software I now cannot connect my PilotAware to SkyDemon on my iPad'. Your screenshots - posted in response to requests for further information - however, clearly show the date on the Home Screen as 'Wed May 23' and indicate that the update to 20180520 had already taken place by that date and that following the update, your licence was correctly installed and valid until the 17th May 2019 (PilotAware Version (20180520) License Expires (20190517)). This means that your previous license would have expired on 17th May 2018 - at least 3 days before the update was released. You would therefore have had to renew the license and insert the New License Key either before or at the time of installing the update for it to take effect.

This morning, however, you said  that...

I did look at my 192.168.1.1 and noticed that it said Licence expired.

When was this? For the reasons I have given above, I'm guessing just before (or during) the download and application of the update.

The screenshots show that you are running a Pi2 based unit - presumably a Classic - but as others have indicated, they show no GPS device attached to the unit at the time the screenshots were taken - viz. 'GPS  Unavailable' on the Home Screen and no reference to any GPS Device in the 'USB Devices List' at the bottom of that Home Screen. (The 3 devices listed are the Raspberry Pi Linux USB Controller, PilotAware SDR Dongle and WiFi Dongle). The absence of a GPS device would automatically stop the PilotAware Transmitting and would also mean that position data could not possibly be sent to your Nav Device, - hence the earlier queries as to whether you have (had) a GPS connected correctly.

If the GPS Device was there at the time the screengrabs were taken, we need to find out why it wasn't (isn't) being recognised / reported.

The most likely reasons for this are either that the GPS device (or Raspberry Pi) has developed a fault, or that there is a software conflict stopping the device being recognised.

Your screenshot indicates that your PilotAware is running a fairly old Raspberry Pi 'Kernel' (Model B Pi 2, Kernel=3.18.7-v7+). IMO it would be worth updating this by carrying out a Full Manual Software Update as described in the Full PilotAware Operating Manual here... http://www.pilotaware.com/180520-Operating-Instructions.pdf 

This should eliminate the possibility of a software conflict, though it WILL require reformatting the microSD card before downloading a copy of the Full Installation Image from  https://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/ and copying the content of the folder onto the re-formatted card as per the instructions. If you are unsure or feel you are unable to carry this out, we could probably arrange to help with this.

You will also need to re-configure your setup, including reinserting the License Key (which Keith has quoted above) and also insert the correct ICAO Hex ID and Flight ID (Reg ID) for your aircraft and we may need to review your other configuration settings as well as those on your Nav System.

Let us know how you get on.

Best regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 11:57:52 pm »
Possibility: 1) Faulty GPS, 2) The port is configured to be something other than "Auto" 3) Faulty port.

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 12:03:56 am »
Paul,

Ports were certainly correctly configured when the screenshots were taken, so unless something has been changed....

Regards

Peter 

Admin

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 10:54:00 am »
Hi John

I think we should get you to try another GPS, I will email you directly
Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 12:48:40 pm »
Lee, what's the power error message "Command not Registered" tell you as I have not seen that before?