Author Topic: Rosetta upgrade - completed and some helpful tips - hopefully!  (Read 2131 times)

RobertPBham

Hi folks,

I received my Rosetta upgrade kit today and decided to set to work - not knowing what to expect, here are my thoughts and hopefully some helpful tips as I did encounter a couple of issues along the way.

First off, everything is packaged nicely and the guide you download is very easy to follow for all parts!

One of the initial difficulties I had was that I wasn't expecting to have to punch holes in the supplied case - this is not a big deal as the holes are already 'precut' but as I don't have any decent tools this was a little challenge. In the end I used a Stanley knife and slow cut around the holes - when you get your kit you will see what I mean if you opt for this method. As the case is small, it can be a little fiddly.

The next difficulting is that the holes are not big enough for the connectors - all mentioned in the guide. I used a small flat head screw driver and slowly went round the holes in a circular fashion - this took a while but eventually the holes were big enough!

The connectors have screw on parts and a small set a pliers really helps with tightening these up!

Everything else was really easy to put together - the case can be a little fiddly to take apart and but I've found that with all Pi cases!

The next part was installing the PilotAware software and this was where I had my main issue - the guide explains the steps and I won't go over that here but I did find the following:

The guide references SD Card Formatter v4 - this does not appear to be available anymore and only v5 is. v5 does not have the options available that v4 appears to have.

Initially I decided to use a new memory card as I wanted to keep my old PAW functional so I could copy the settings.

I used SD Card Formatter on a new 32GB SD card, copied the PilotAware software and then tried to boot the PAW - I instantly received an error stating that it was unable to resize the FAT partition. Thinking the issue was the SD card, I got my original PAW SD card and did the same - same error. Convinced I didn't have two corrupt SD cards, I set about finding other tools to format the SD card. I found a tool called GUIFORMAT - http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm and this is the procedure that worked for me:

Formatted SD card with SD Card Formatter - full format - took a long time
Formatted the SD card using GUIFORMAT, set the allocation unit size to 32768 and made sure not to select Quick Format
Format took a long time
Extracted files from PilotAware download and copied to SD card as per PilotAware guide
Waited 15 seconds before ejecting the SD card from Windows to confirm all file copy operations had completed
Booted Pi......
Everything worked and this was using the new 32GB SD card

PilotAware is now up and running in the new Rosetta format - all very painless once I'd got the above sorted.

The only other piece of advice I would mention is to make sure you look at the pictures carefully in the Rosetta upgrade guide - I initially removed the holes in the wrong part of the case - no issue - but parts of the case look very similar to other parts of the case and if you don't pay full attention to the pictures, you will make the same mistake as me! :-) There aren't any issues making this mistake and you do have a couple more ventilation holes!

Good luck!

Thanks
Rob