Author Topic: Rosetta + FLARM  (Read 4126 times)

mmcp42

Rosetta + FLARM
« on: June 25, 2018, 06:35:04 pm »
I'm in the process of upgrading my Classic to new shiny Rosetta
thought I'd like to add FLARM
the link to FLARM documentation eludes me
so
a) which FLARM thingamabob do I need
b) how do I add it to my Rosetta?

cheers

Ian Melville

Re: Rosetta + FLARM
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 07:40:47 pm »
Hi mmcp42 and welcome,

Firstly, if you fly in an area covered by OGN-R then you will find that you get better notification of gliders and other FLARM traffic through that system. Not to mention fewer antenna, fewer cables and not need an additional 9v+ power supply.

If you want FLARM for other reasons then I would look at the FLARM Eagle, the cleapest version will be satisfactory. http://lxavionics.co.uk/lxcart/index.php?route=product/product&path=102_63&product_id=928
You will also need a USB- RS232 Cable.  I use the FTDI USB-RS232-WE-1800-BT cable, though cheaper ones may work as well. the FTDI cable is the most compact. And a connector to join the FLARM kit to the cable.

Plug the USB into a spare port, noting which one, then go into the PAW config and set that same port to FLARM and the same baud rate as your Eagle(4800?).

Although I have not mentioned which wire in the cable goes where, or how the ports are numbered, that is it. Job done. Cover that when you need it :-)

If you do fit a FLARM unit, you will still get notifcation of FLARM traffic through OGN-R, so covered both ways.

mmcp42

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 08:34:12 pm »
£792 for the CHEAP option!?!?!?!?
you've talked me into the OGN-R route :)
cheers

Deker

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:23:25 pm »
£792 for the CHEAP option!?!?!?!?

You could say their gear costs Flarm and a leg ;-)

Keithvinning

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 09:35:03 pm »
Hi Mmcp42

Yes the OGN-R really is a great innovation and at about £250 for an installation its a snip as it protects everyone.
Rather than spending on the FLARM kit why dont you and a few friends put a few quid in each and put an OGN-R rebroadcast antenna in your location. Helps you and helps everyone else

Cheers

keith

mmcp42

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 09:50:00 pm »
yup I'd be delighted to do that
have emailed, but
what do I have to do ...

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:50:52 am »
The instructions for installing an OGN-R are available here

http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/Building-an-OGN-PAW-Uplink-1.pdf

I will send you a PM

Cheers

Keith

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 12:20:05 pm »
Keith, in the light of our experience at Enstone, is the RG8x and P3i stock antenna still the recommendation?

Keithvinning

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 10:31:18 am »
Hi Ian

I will write up new instructions. This antenna when using LM400 or RG8 cable with Ntype connectors is giving great service as you know at Enstone and is within spec.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antenna-collinear-868-Mhz-869-mhz-LORAWAN-LORA-great-gain-SDR-USB-smart-grid-/302771320619?hash=item467e93b72b

It more expensive but much more robust and better performance all round