Author Topic: Collision aware software  (Read 15743 times)

Duckling

Collision aware software
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:47:06 pm »
I've built the box using the slice of pod method. It seems to work so far and I'm picking up traffic from about 35 miles away when on the ground, albeit all of it airline traffic on ads-b. Just a couple of questions if I may?

1.  The collision aware app only has the "p3i connected or disconnected" slider.  It connects all right but I can't see the icao code, power or region boxes which are shown in the construction guide. Has the software been changed or is something not working?

2.  I'm getting a slowly flashing red light on the Pi. I understand this indicates a power problem. Everything seems to be otherwise ok. Should I worry about that red light?

Appreciate any advice.

Roderick

N6010Y

Re: Collision aware software
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 11:05:56 pm »
Roderick,

The software has been changed.  The only thing you will see in Collision Aware is the On/Off slider.

The rest of the configuration is set via the web interface (http://192.168.1.1).

Log on with your PC or Tablet to the PilotAware network hotspot, then type in the above web address - you'll find the set-up option there.

Hugh

Duckling

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 09:56:43 am »
Thanks Hugh

Richard W

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 04:36:47 pm »
2.  I'm getting a slowly flashing red light on the Pi. I understand this indicates a power problem. Everything seems to be otherwise ok. Should I worry about that red light?

Yes, I think you should worry, especially if it is flashing at 2 second intervals (when the ARF is on TX).  If you have access to a multimeter, check the 5V, between the 5V and 0V 'busses' on the Slice of Pod, if that is what you are using.  Anything below 4.8V would be suspect.

Richard

bryannortje

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 11:17:35 pm »
something i feel needs pointing out regarding this reply from above:
'Roderick,

The software has been changed.  The only thing you will see in Collision Aware is the On/Off slider.

The rest of the configuration is set via the web interface (http://192.168.1.1).

Log on with your PC or Tablet to the PilotAware network hotspot, then type in the above web address - you'll find the set-up option there.

Hugh"

i spent a VERY long time on my PC trying all sorts of combinations of the web address: http://192.168.1.1 to find the set up options without any success. may be obvious to the IT and PC guru's doing this project, but to me it was not and i'm guessing I'm not the only one.... what I beleive may not seem obvious to a lot of my fellows is: to get to the web address and subsequent set-up options you have to A - be connected to the PA wifi on same device - then - with same device and while still connected via the wifi to the PA, use your devices 3G connection to go to the web page address:http://192.168.1.1 and as if by magic its all there. I used my iPhone to do this as my iPad does not have a sim card in it so can only be connected to internet by wifi.

Correct me if I'm wrong and i hope that perhaps I am, and that someone could advise, but you cannot be connected to the PA on wifi and then go onto the internet web page on same device on wifi - as you thus need internet access you have to do this as i did with 3g / 4g cellular connection ??

Cheers
Bryan

brinzlee

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:04 pm »
Bryan....the connection has nothing to do with 3G or 4G. You are merely using the PilotAware to act as a hotspot. So when you see it in the connection list(iPhone, iPad) it is the PilotAware you're connecting too and then interrogating the PilotAware module hotspot via you're web browser on 192.168.1.1. If you were to do this at home you may have other options to choose from(in the wifi list) like your home router....if you were to click on this and then enter the same 192.168.1.1 you might enter the admin screen of the home router....(not on all)
The fact that you are seeing 3G or 4G is confusing you......but has nothing to do with connecting to the PilotAware
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:20:16 am by brinzlee »

bryannortje

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 11:31:27 am »
brinslee
perhaps my info was misleading. I did not mean that you need 3g or 4g to conect to PA. what i am trying to make clear is for example. I use an Ipad mini without sim so to access internet i need wifi - thus if i am connected to PA wifi hotspot with my ipad i cannot then go into my web browser to type in the web interface and connect as i dont have internet access. now you cannot do this from another PC or ipad as you correctly say it then goes into that devices wifi network router setup stuff.

I thus think as i have not got it right any other way yet,  that your Ipad needs to have sim data connectivity to do this or else one has to do it from ones phone. perhaps if i am incorrect in this someone can in easy speak let me know hoe else to do this.

Cheers
Bryan

Russ_H

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 11:41:50 am »
Bryan, you don't need internet access, you connect to the webserver built into the PilotAware unit directly via wifi

ianfallon

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 12:44:20 pm »
The PilotAware has a web server running on it so when you go to 192.168.1.1 you're (correctly) going to a website running on the PilotAware. No need for Internet.

bryannortje

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 05:56:03 pm »
ah ha i think i follow this now (and hopefully hundreds of other newbies like me too)

rg

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 08:41:57 pm »
I really would urge you not to drop collision aware support and continue supporting Bluetooth, etc GPS devices already used via CollisionAware.  Frankly these are fairly expensive bits of kit to not be used, they can often be positioned in better places for sky visibility.  Eg.  In a 172 I might want my gps well forward of the wing whereas the pa might be attached via a modified ram mount to a rear window.  USB dongles are also very vulnerable as I discovered today with the distruction of my ads-b dongle while packing up the a/c.

Admin

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 08:50:44 pm »
I think the thing that concerns me about collisionaware, are the reports, of lockups. I dont believe anyone has seen this with a GPS, I could be wrong.
BTW Did you consider a G-Mouse ?
I have one of these on a long cable, must be 1.5 metres

Thx
Lee

rg

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 09:17:34 pm »
Is a £10 gps usb dongle as good as garmin glo?

Software locking up is obviously an issue (not something I've seen on iOS) but as long as paw can detect that and we get alerted to lost gps it takes a second to go fly with location services. 

jamespratt

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 10:11:48 pm »
I would like to second what rg said about not dropping collisionaware.

I am using skydemon on an ipad mini with an external GPS (Dual XGPS160) via bluetooth   - this has proved a very reliable combination and I really want to keep using it, rather than having to rely on a GPS dongle.

I have just built my pilotaware and all working well, but I have not yet had a chance to fly with it to see if there is any freezing.

Skyarrow

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 04:18:24 pm »
Hi,

Further to Ducklings post.  I too have been trying to access the PAW licence configuration page without sucess.
I am using an Ipad mini with Skydemon. When I switch on my PAW unit my Ipad shows the wording "CollisionAware is using your location" at the top of my screen.

However when I go into Settings on the Ipad and select the PilotAware hotspot all that happens is that the circular disc icon just keeps rotation and I don't get a green tick to show that it is connected to the dongle / Ipad!

I have tried opening Safari and typing in http://192.168.1.1 but after a long wait I get an error message stating that "unable to connect, the server stopped responding".

Anybody else in this position as I am all out of ideas and loosing confidence. Others have managed to get things working, what am I missing?

If you are close to Epsom and willing to help, please message me.

Regards Alan Powell