Author Topic: First Time Booting  (Read 75749 times)

Bartonflyer

Re: First Time Booting
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2015, 12:38:22 pm »
One question - it may seem overkill but when I go flying both me & my co-pilot who I usually fly with take our Nexus 7s with skydemon - can we connect both tablets to the PilotAware application? Is it just a matter of doing the same configuration on both?

Oh yes !

Oh yes indeed!!

Worked first time - two Skydemons sat in my kitchen in Bolton (raining too much to go in the garden so we can only see out to the North West) and we are happily seeing commercial traffic to a range of around 30 miles - Just stunning!

Bartonflyer

« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2015, 02:54:34 pm »
But perhaps I spoke too soon ...... Powered the unit down then tried to restart, Pi seems to start OK, wifi connection is there but no activity at all on the GPS dongle and Skydemon just reports "Seeking GPS satellites"

Is there any particular procedure for shutting down? I just pulled the power.

Unfortunately I don't have an HDMI monitor to see what may be happening

Any

Ian Melville

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2015, 03:00:32 pm »
If it's still in the kitchen, I suspect your GPS dongle needs to get a better view of the sky, they can sometimes take a while to get a fix.

Admin

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2015, 03:17:46 pm »
But perhaps I spoke too soon ...... Powered the unit down then tried to restart, Pi seems to start OK, wifi connection is there but no activity at all on the GPS dongle and Skydemon just reports "Seeking GPS satellites"
Is there any particular procedure for shutting down? I just pulled the power.
Unfortunately I don't have an HDMI monitor to see what may be happening
Any

The first time it boots I think (the GPS) can take upto 15 minutes to get the ephemeris data,
did it run for this long with a good view of the sky ?

Also, go to the web page (on your tablet) to see what is reported from the GPS device

http://192.168.1.1

There is an sntry for GPS/USB

Thx
Lee

Bartonflyer

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2015, 03:36:07 pm »
Thanks Ian & Lee - On initial boot the GPS with a fix came up very quickly after the wifi connection was established, but it had taken about 15-20 minutes to do that boot.

It is now working - just my impatience I think together with a combination of being indoors with a limited view of the sky, perhaps just lucky 3 hours ago with the alignment of the satellites in view?

Ian Melville

« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2015, 04:33:03 pm »
My first boot with previously built card, but new GPS took a few seconds to get a lock. The second boot took about 5-10 minutes. Both indoors. I guess we were both lucky, though I was expecting a long boot time, so was not surprised.

The GPS dongle also has an LED, assuming you got the recommended kit, which gives a regular green bleat when it has a lock.

Deker

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2015, 09:44:33 pm »
Hi,

My PAW was put together using parts detailed on the recommended list.
Booted and worked first time, after carefully following the excellent set up instructions.
Android device has XCSoar TE loaded for testing the PAW and  ADS-B.
Very good range, receiving commercial aircraft 30miles+ and interesting to get confirmation using Flight Radar24. Antenna was sat on the bedroom window ledge.
Using an inline USB ammeter, this indicates a current draw of ~650mA.

Hopefully get chance this weekend to do some airborne testing.
Just waiting for the PAW RF shield to become available  8)
ATB
Deker,

Brooklands

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2015, 12:14:27 pm »
Like Deker I built the PAW with parts from the recommended list.  I got the RPi from RS and found the rest of the bits on Amazon.

Booted up without any problems and I was able to see traffic using XCSoarTE on my Nexus 7 tablet, with the unit placed next to a downstairs window.

I had some fun and games re-formatting the SDcard before installing the Dec 5th update, but managed it in the end.

I managed a quick airbourne test on 17th and was picking up a lot more traffic.  I had the unit in the baggage compartment (PA38) and DVB-T aerial 'hung' from one of the re-inforcing struts by  its magnetic base.

I've put my name down for one of the new RF modules, although looking at the lenght of the list perhaps I should have had my parents put my name down at birth :-)

Brooklands

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2015, 12:25:19 pm »
I've put my name down for one of the new RF modules, although looking at the lenght of the list perhaps I should have had my parents put my name down at birth :-)

Speaking to Dave S at the show, the company that are manufacturing the board have some incredible rate of production, I seem to remember a maximum of something like 5000 a week, so I wouldn't worry too much!

Though I think the claim that every one will be tested in a PAW to make sure it's working before being sent out might be a bit of a bottleneck!  ;) :o
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 12:27:40 pm by Paul_Sengupta »

italianjon

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2016, 04:12:05 pm »
Hi All,

I wonder if I can get some help. Very first time booting and I have a couple of issues, and the boot sequence hangs at "pilot3i-rpi login:"

I don't have a licence yet as I could not get that far in the instructions.

So, I have: -
"[....] Starting advanced IEE 802.11 management: hostapdSegmentation fault failed!"
"[warn] Kernal lacks cgroups or memory controller not available, not starting cgroups. ... (warning)."
"[FAIL] startpar: service(s) returned failure: rc.local ... failed!"

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks

Jon

Admin

« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2016, 05:22:45 pm »
Hi Jon,

Sounds like an issue with the wifi dongle, can you post a link to the wifi dongle you obtained ?
Thx
Lee

italianjon

« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2016, 08:11:08 pm »
Hi Lee,

I had a few kicking around my Raspberry Pi box... I have tried it with:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-Raspberry-automated-connection-ultra-compact/dp/B00VFWCFXW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454011441&sr=8-2&keywords=csl+150

and

a non specific one, that I can not find anywhere and probably came with some cheap module I got from China, on another project.

Neither worked, and both showed exactly the same error.

I will order another, to try, any ones you recommend?

Regards

Jon

Admin

« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2016, 08:37:33 pm »
Hi Jon

There is a thread here dedicated to the hardware suitability
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,110.0.html

The WiFi needs to be the RT5370 chipset
This is described in the construction manual

Thx
Lee

peter@schou.be

• Grumman aa5-A, Skydemon, PPL Pilot since 2009,
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2016, 01:55:56 pm »
Houston i have a problem  :o

Raspberry PI 2B
noo elec nano 2 adsb, Raksoy 5370 wifi dongle (substituted an asus model with wrong hardware)
8gb sandisk ultra micro sc hcI

power from tp link 2 amp socket, and red light on the MB.
the case has a fan running from leg 2&3

PROBLEM: i belive i follow the software installation to the letter, but when it comes to first boot, the green light blinks a few times and then either the green light stays on permanent or it goes out, but with no wifi coming up on my iPad.

im going nuts as this has happened abt 15 times now, and i have no idea of what im doing wrong.

im doing the installation from a mac book air, but should that have any influence ?

i have tried with the stratux version, and it runs smoothly.

Suggestions and help is most wellcome asap
you are most welcome to write me on peter@schou.be

best regards
Peter Kehlet Schou, grumman AA5 flyer.

Admin

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2016, 02:39:54 pm »
Hi Peter,

Have you connected a monitor to the HDMI output to get the installation / boot messages,
this is the first thing to try.

PROBLEM: i belive i follow the software installation to the letter, but when it comes to first boot, the green light blinks a few times and then either the green light stays on permanent or it goes out, but with no wifi coming up on my iPad.

If I understand you correctly, the self installation has completed, but the boot fails.
Are you confident the self installation completed successfully ?

I really need to see the monitor messages from installation and boot.

Thx
Lee