Author Topic: First Time Booting  (Read 75699 times)

peter@schou.be

• Grumman aa5-A, Skydemon, PPL Pilot since 2009,
    • View Profile
Re: First Time Booting
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2016, 06:25:43 am »
Good morning Lee
A few questions if I may
Can you from the pics I send you confirm that the wifi chip is the correct one ?
Can you try to send me an earlier version of the software
Is it possible to log the boot sequence so I can give you the complete log ?
any suggestions ?
Brg
Peter

peter@schou.be

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2016, 08:53:54 am »
Houston, first problem solved, unfortunately i don't know how :-(

On a hunch i disconnected the fan, attached the wifi dongle and ads-b, added power, and viola, there she was my lovely wifi connection.

now the password has been added on the IP.

Only issue right now is that when the name gps software is running Skydemon will not connect via FLARM (seeking GPS remains on), if i just connect as usual my Ipad Mini 4 connects like a charm, have an idea that it is the NMEA GPS that prioritizes the gps output ?????, if input please provide :-)

thanks for what you have done so far !

all the best

Peter

Admin

« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2016, 10:16:21 am »
Hi Peter,

First thing to do now you have WiFi, go to the web server in PilotAware to get the home/status page
so connect to the PilotAware hotspot, then browse to

http://192.168.1.1

Please provide a screenshot of what you see, if it does not make sense

Then click the configure tab to go to the configure page, on this page click the checkbox for NMEA, and click save
now go to the logging tab, this will show you all of the messages being provided by the GPS dongle

I am guessing that your dongle has not yet loaded the ephemeris data - on first time boot, this can take upto 15 mins,
and needs a good view of the satellites

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:20:38 am by Admin »

peter@schou.be

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2016, 12:08:05 pm »
Thanks lee,
i do not have a gps dongle, relying on my iPad building gps
does that change anything ?, or should i order one ?
brg
Peter

Admin

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2016, 12:13:56 pm »
Hi Peter,

Our recommendation is for a vk-172 Glonass GPS dongle, these work very well.
As an alternative, you can try NMEAgps which is a GPS sharing app you can run on your iPad/iPhone
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/nmea-gps/id590868529?mt=8

Settings
NMEA Wi-Fi SERVER
(ACTIVE)
Protocol Server - UDP no broadcast
Server Port - 2001
Target Ip for UDP - 192.168.1.1

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:17:16 pm by Admin »

peter@schou.be

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2016, 12:53:29 pm »
So, the pilotaware shows traffic when going via ip 192.168.1.1
But turning on nmea gps, and then Skydemon, does not
If i use nmea gps as downloaded it activates the gps, and shows my geo location
If I follow your changes the bar showing the updates goes red, and no connection to the gps

peter@schou.be

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2016, 02:07:04 pm »
So, piloteAWARE  works with a pi 2b
If you are going to do it without a gps dongle on an iPad, get the NMEA gps app. by alessandro Trebbi, load it and correct it as per Lee's comments further down in this thread.

a bit deceiving the app will show a red status bar, but when you leave the app to start Skydemon, it will continue in the background.

Start skydemon, and remember to set the altitude for objects to +40000,

let it be for a while and make sure that the seeking for gps goes out, (on my setup it seems a bit slower on the gps data.... but it may just be my impatience :-)

good luck everyone and Thanks Lee and Paul for comments and assistance

now comes the serious part, getting the plane out of the shop and trying to locate some gliders :-)

Blue Skies
Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2016, 06:36:08 pm »
Gliders? Have you got a Flarm unit connected as well?

peter@schou.be

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2016, 07:33:28 pm »
Hi Ian
My mistake, I thought that having to use the flarm setting in skyddemon it also included flarm, but reading up on the subject I can see that is unfortunately not the case
Brg
Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2016, 06:01:59 am »
Pilot Aware could incorporate Flarm traffic, however the encoding for Flarm signals is copyrighted. IIRC Flarm declined to be involved as it would effect their business model.

Sad, but a fact of life.

peter@schou.be

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2016, 06:35:55 am »
sad, I have twice had gliders shoot over me from behind in near miss situations, and pre warning would have taken some of the excitement out, further it would have enabled me to file near miss reports to German and Danish authorities as I would have been able to document it, both times I was so shocked that I didn't get a registration number 👿

peter@schou.be

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2016, 07:15:16 am »
Ian, question if i may, even though the flarm transmittal is encoded in a propritary fashion it does not mean that the transmittal can not be detected, would it not be possible to register the transmittal, and display a warning that a transmittal was detected but without name and range ?, This Way at least we would be prewarned that something was out there !
Brg
Peter

Moffrestorer

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2016, 11:29:20 am »
My Zaon MRX probably saved my bacon several years ago when I could so easily have had a mid-air with a glider close to Cranfield en-route to Duxford. Finally spotted it about 200metres away at same level and on my RHS. Now I don't know whether the Zaon could detect Flarm or whether the glider was carrying a Mode C transponder, but it did alert me that something was there and it was devilishly hard to spot in the overcast conditions.

Great news on he PAW front today from Keith Vinning, who alludes to further functionality with the PAW Classic unit. Could Flarm "detection" along the lines that Peter suggests (the same as the experimental Mode A, C, S detection) be one of them? Hopefully, because the whole situation of Flarm needs to be addressed in someway from a PAW perspective.

Ian Melville

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2016, 01:51:00 pm »
Moff, AFAIK Zaon MRX only detects transponders, but I don't have one so may be wrong.

Peter, Lee would be the best person to respond to your question. My thought would be that it would be the same as a Mode A transponder signal (no height or position), so would have to guess or estimate range/threat. I suspect it would be easier to feed a basic Flarm units output into Pilot Aware, but that would be an extra box to buy.

peter@schou.be

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2016, 02:35:21 pm »
Hi Jim
from what i could read the flarm signal is so week that if Pilot aware pics it up it will be within 20 secs, so it will be a heads up, full look around, and hopefully see the glider going away from you :-)

you don't need to see the altitude or exact location (i my opinion that is) ;)