Author Topic: GPS dropping out on new Rosetta  (Read 6563 times)

carlbfinch

GPS dropping out on new Rosetta
« on: May 30, 2018, 03:13:02 pm »
Hi All,

I am brand new to this and this afternoon been playing with my new Rosetta which I am really pleased with.

The only this that is causing issues at the minute is the constant dropping out of GPS and only managing to find 3-4 to connect to.  I have done everything in in accordance with the set up leaflet and just can not work out if its me or the unit??

Any help is appreciated.

Carl

Admin

Re: GPS dropping out on new Rosetta
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 04:48:14 pm »
Hi Carl

Can I ask where is the unit located ?
Also what is your power supply ?

You will not get a good GPS fix indoors, and especially behind glass - a lot of which has a metal coating

Can you confirm the specific symptom, because there are 2 similar scenarios
I presume you are using SkyDemon ?

Do you get a disconnect in Skydemon, then have to reconnect to PilotAware,
or do you get a banner reporting "GPS satellites ...", which then subsequently goes away ?

when you mention '3-4 to connect to', if this is the message on the PilotAware Homepage, this is actually reporting number of Satellites in use, not the number of Satellites in view.
This will change in the next release to report Satellites in view and in use.

Thx
Lee

carlbfinch

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 05:10:54 pm »
Lee,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I set up the device outside as recommended and once I did that I brought it in to try out and did have it on the window sill.  I have used the USB cable that came with the device and it was plugged in to an extension lead with USB charging facility.

Yes I am using Sky Demon and the message that I receive is 'Loss of GPS' and then Satellites found 3 found and it works again, then it like that whilst I use it.

Strange that sitting up against the window does this when my SkyPro doesn't?

Regards,

Carl

Admin

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 05:34:29 pm »
Hi Carl

Lee,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I set up the device outside as recommended and once I did that I brought it in to try out and did have it on the window sill.  I have used the USB cable that came with the device and it was plugged in to an extension lead with USB charging facility.
Aarh, the devil is in the detail - can I ask for a specific reference to the power supply
If you have a web reference that is fine. Underpowering the Pi can cause issues

Yes I am using Sky Demon and the message that I receive is 'Loss of GPS' and then Satellites found 3 found and it works again, then it like that whilst I use it.
Regards,
Carl

In practice, this is not an issue when flying, but if it does prove to be an issue, then the best option is to get a little distance between the GPS Antenna and the RPI computer. either using a GPS mouse, or an extension cable.
How many satellites are reported in use when outside ?

Thx
Lee

carlbfinch

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 07:15:08 pm »
Im going to take it for a test drive in the car tomorrow and see if its any better.
I don't nave a reference for the extension lead and its was purchased ages ago. Its just a normal extension lead with 2 usb charger connection on the end.  iPhone and tablets all charge up fine.  The Anker power core should arrive tomorrow anyway so can try it in that too.

I must admit though if I have to get a GPS mouse or a USB extension, that kind of defeats the purpose I guess?  What protection do I give the little GPS chip if I do that?  If it can't sit on the dash of a car or aircraft to get a signal then whats the point?  Sorry to sound negative but I was so excited to get this Rosetta.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 07:55:35 pm »
Hi Carl
Please try it in your car and report back
I ran on a two hour car journey today and got
Satellites in use between 5-8
Satellites in view 9-12

Your version will only report satellites in use

Please report back
Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 08:40:46 pm »
Carl, Wait until you have the Anker Power Core before doing the test. I suspect your extension, with USB intergral, is optimised for charging devices, not for running them. The Pi is quite demanding on it's PSU and wants 5.2V. Most chargers are only 5V, which is OK if they can supply the current required a peak with the voltage dropping any further. From experiance we find that there are all sorts of issues caused by momentary drops in voltage.

I don't have any issues with mine on the dash of the car. That is unless I am in a built up area or heavly wooded road. I don't plan on flying that low :-), even then it copes well.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 12:18:50 am »

I've no idea what a SkyPro is, but some GPSs are more sensitive than others. The uBlox GPS in the PAW isn't one of the very sensitive ones, but it does have a WAAS/EGNOS receiver, so it is very accurate, even in altitude, if it's receiving the EGNOS satellite.

Last year I had a new window fitted in my bedroom in Wales. I'm guessing it has some sort of metallic thermal coating as the PAW doesn't work inside it. My Nexus 7 will sometimes get a signal in the bedroom but probably through a combination of leakage through the roof/ceiling, etc, as much as through the window. It has a very sensitive GPS (not WAAS/EGNOS unfortunately).

Keithvinning

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 12:15:54 pm »
Carl
Using a good power supply that is capable of delivering 5.2V and 2.1A, leave the Rosetta outside in full view of the sky. When the green light starts flashing this indicates that you have 3 plus satellite. However leave it running outside for a further 20 minutes.

Have a look at the home page you should see the number of satellites increase from 3 to 7 or 9 as the satellite data is captured. Then all should be well.

Give this a try

Keith

carlbfinch

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 10:33:40 am »
Hey Everyone,

Sorry for getting back so late!!

Family and work got in the way of getting the test done.  Went flying the the day to EGBG and it worked a treat! Great aid to flying. Used the Anker cable that came with the Powerbank but took the one that came supplied with Rosetta just incase.

Highly Recommend it and will be showing it off at my club!

Admin

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 02:53:29 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Sorry for getting back so late!!

Family and work got in the way of getting the test done.  Went flying the the day to EGBG and it worked a treat! Great aid to flying. Used the Anker cable that came with the Powerbank but took the one that came supplied with Rosetta just incase.

Highly Recommend it and will be showing it off at my club!

Thanks Carl,

Could we change the title of the thread ?
not strictly relevant I think

Thx
Lee

PaulSS

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 12:19:23 am »
Could we change the title of the thread ?
not strictly relevant I think

Maybe along the lines of "Read the instructions, especially regarding power.......AGAIN".  ::)

The PAW Team should be very glad they don't have a silly old git like me working for them because I think I would have lost it by now. How many times do we read the same, recurring, problems and how many times is the answer "power"?

Now, I have to admit I knew nothing of the vagaries of USB phone chargers and switchable batteries before I started reading this forum and these functions are obviously a thorn in the side of the Raspberry Pi. BUT there's no need to actually have any knowledge of these anomalies if the instructions are followed. I think I even read somewhere a specific note about NOT using USB phone chargers. How difficult can it be to NOT use a USB phone charger, instead of using one and then finding stuff doesn't work?

Glad you guys are more patient than I am  ;D

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 05:02:12 pm »
Don't think this was a power issue, more of a siting of the GPS issue. These uBlox GPSs aren't as sensitive as some phone/tablet/etc, GPSs, and also the PAW/SDR dongle actually cause a bit of interference, further decreasing the sensitivity, so a good position of the unit with a good view of the sky is the way to go. The GPS mouse is available to position in a decent place if it's not possible to position the unit in such a place. If the standard USB GPS reception is marginal, occasionally putting the same unit on a USB extension lead can help.

My friend Paul K (who won the PilotAware at a show a couple of years ago) has mounted his PilotAware in the wing root of his aeroplane, with the GPS mounted on its side. He had the occasional issue with this, so I gave him a GPS mouse which he can site somewhere away from the aircraft structure and in the correct orientation.

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 04:16:22 am »
Carl,

Just wanted to say, please don’t take offence at PaulSS’s comment. It’s not personal. He is a very serious long-term PilotAware supporter who, despite not having a ‘real plane’ yet  :( - only kidding Paul (he flies big stuff professionally) and having a PAW still in its box, reads everything and is generally extremely helpful and supportive, both on here and on the other Forums.

And yes Paul - ....we do sometimes need to be very patient! (and polite)  ;)

Best Regards Both

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 06:31:25 pm »
Well, in mitigation, I did admit to being a silly old git  :)

No, my comments are certainly not personal, in as much as they are not aimed at any individual but the subject of dodgy power supplies comes up so frequently you really do wonder if anyone reads any instructions whatsoever, or knows how to use the Search function.

You're right though, my theoretical knowledge has improved a thousand-fold but I'm still yet to even connect mine up. I'll probably be on here asking why my iPhone charger isn't working (not really, I've got my Charge4 and some 4 AWG cable, so I should be okay).

I'll go back to thinking of awkward antenna questions.....and audio of course  ;D