Author Topic: Android Problem Maintaining a Cellular Internet Connection  (Read 3573 times)

tonyscott

Android Problem Maintaining a Cellular Internet Connection
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:26:26 am »
Have recently purchased a PAW system and have assembled, configured and tried testing with the two devices I use for in-flight navigation which are:-

•   iPad mini model MD543B/A iOS version 9.3.5 with cellular data SIM.

•   Samsung Galaxy Smartphone J5 model SM-J500FN Android version 6.0.1 with 3G/4G SIM

The PAW system seems to work fine with the iPad but with the Galaxy as soon as I connect the Galaxy to the PAW via Wi-Fi it loses its’ internet connection via the cellular network.

Have tried only connecting one device at a time to the PAW’s Wi-Fi but that doesn’t seem to help and I understand anyway it is possible to connect two devices simultaneously.

As I use Skydemon it is useful to receive weather updates via an internet connection over the cellular network but it seems as soon as I connect the Galaxy to the PAW via WiFi  the internet connection via the cellular network is lost.

I have been in contact with Lee Moore at PAW support who has told me that the PAW WiFi doesn't advertise itself as a router and that this normally allows the client device to determine that it must use another method to get access to the outside world, ie 3G/4G. This certainly works with iOS but Lee is unsure of another method of informing the client that it cannot route internet traffic that would be compatible with Android and has asked me to raise the issue on this forum for input.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to resolve this issue?

Regards,
Tony Scott

beastro

Re: Android Problem Maintaining a Cellular Internet Connection
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 09:46:24 pm »
I have the same problem!

Has this issue been resolved for Android?

Thanks

Berthold

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 07:31:05 am »
Hi Berthold,

Not sure what happened here - it’s unusual that no-one has replied to Tony’s earlier post since April.

Unfortunately I don’t possess a 3/4G tablet. I run PAW via a Wi-Fi Only iPad Mini 3, but am aware that since Lee altered the software to prevent PAW advertising itself as a ‘Router’ it has been possible to access the internet in flight from a 3G/4G iPad whilst it is connected to PAW - though internet access at altitude can be ‘flaky’ and is discouraged by ISPs due to potential for blocking their networks due to the device being able to ‘see’ multiple cells at the same time.

I also run a Samsung Galaxy S5 as a ‘backup only’. I don’t normally have SD ‘actively running’ on it as I have only had to use it once in 3 years when I temporarily lost my iPad due to overheating earlier this year. I DO however, since that incident ALWAYS make sure that my route and airfield plates have been downloaded from the cloud and opened on the phone before any flights into unfamiliar territory ‘just in case’ - as on the one occasion when the iPad failed, I was right in a ‘choke point’ between two close-by areas of Controlled Airspace and found I couldn’t get internet access to bring up my route, so had to abandon my original plan and concentrate on navigating back to my point of departure without encroaching into either CAS so that I could land and sort the problem out. A mite stressful at the time....

Although I don’t actively run the phone with SD under ‘normal’ conditions, I have used the phone successfully in the past to allow ‘in flight’ Internet access during longer flights - especially into unfamiliar territory, e.g. to double-check Notams or access Airfield Plates for ‘Divert’ airfields - by using the S5’s ‘Bluetooth Tethering’ option to allow the iPad to connect to both PAW via WiFi and the Internet via the S5’s 3/4G.

I am hoping to go down to the airfield either later today or tomorrow, so will try running some tests and report back.

Regards

Peter

beastro

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 02:11:11 pm »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reply!
I will probably go the route of BT tethering for the moment. I don't see my Android phone caring much about the different ways of wifi advertising.

Thanks!
Berthold

peteD

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 05:44:28 pm »
Tried to do this a while back with my nexus 7, but the BT disconnected itself when the wiFi LAN connected.
Think there is another thread about this somewhere...bottom line....seems to work for Ipads but not Android :-((
Interested if anyone else has had success with android/nexus 7?