Author Topic: UAT/978 In  (Read 7082 times)

PaulSS

UAT/978 In
« on: April 17, 2018, 02:11:30 pm »
 I have used the search function but could not find specific answers to my question of:

Would it be possible to get 978 MHz piped into PAW, in addition to the existing 1090 MHz for ADSB and 868 MHz for P3I?

Now, I suspect the answer is 'no' and I think the reason will be something to do with either the Raspberry PI capabilities/processing power or the ability to have 3 antenna inputs. But I'd like to hear it from any of you guys in the know, instead of my guesswork.

Of course it has to do with getting the weather overlaid onto SD etc, as with SkyEcho, Stratux and so forth.

I appreciate ADSB Out from PAW is, as previously discussed, a BIG step too far but the receiving of some wigglies that are already in the sky might not be so insurmountable. Note: MIGHT NOT  ;D

Where am I wrong this time  :-[

Admin

Re: UAT/978 In
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 02:55:39 pm »
Hi Paul,

We already have an internal release that supports UAT/978Mhz WX to SkyDemon.

There is an outstanding issue which is as follows, you can either have SkyDemon Display :-
ADS-B, P3I, OGN, MODE-S/C
or
ADS-B, P3I, OGN, WX

So there is a tradeoff between Mode-S/C traffic warnings and Weather data,
which would you consider more important ?

The reason this situation exists is that GDL90 (which is the protocol used for the WX data), does not inherently support Bearingless Targets (Mode-S/C)

What do you think ?

Thx
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:55:16 pm »
Hi Lee,

The GDL90 protocol seems only to be required between the PAW and tablet based navigation/weather display. I use EasyVFR and this gives “banner” type alerts at the top of the Nav display, so I’m used to that kind of alert. If a weather overlay were to be considered, could the mode C/S alerts not be displayed via the PAW browser Radar screen instead, in the same banner format, accessible on another device such as one’s smartphone?

Alternatively, could two versions of PAW be made available, Wx and Standard?

Personally, as a fair weather flyer I guess Mode C/S notification is of more use to me as I can check the forecast EVFR wx radar playback prior to my flights which are generally shortish legs in VFR (hopefully).

Regards,

Chris

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:48:19 pm »
Chris, by flipping between PilotAware and GDL90, you are in effect able to choose the data of your preference. Note: this is for the internal release that Lee mentioned.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:47:10 pm »
Thanks Ian. I did wonder if that might be a possibility. The problem is, it’s not always so easy to flip between deeply embedded menu settings whilst airborne (presume the same applies to SD). Fortunately the Nav program developers are often able to bring the settings to a higher level within the menu if there is sufficient reason. If the option was available to show Mode C/S data simultaneously as wx data, via the Radar screen it would be beneficial otherwise there is a risk that collision info could be missed while “switched” to receiving wx data, but this may not apply if the alert is still present on the audio output.

Thx,

Chris

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:42:51 pm »
You ony need to do it in SD (or other nav software)

Click Stop Navigating
Change third party device between PAW and GDL90
Go flying with new chosen connection.

No deep menus, but could be tricky if it's a bumpy flight.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:42:27 pm »
Hi Ian,

With EVFR you would currently have to press MENU button on navigation display, then  NAV TOOLS, followed by SETTINGS; scroll down many lines to FLARM SETTINGS; turn USE FLARM off; hit OK (delay while FLARM interface resets); scroll down to GDL90 SETTINGS; turn on USE GDL90; hit OK (delay while interface resets); hit BACK; hit MENU to return to Nav display.

So not very simples! This presupposes GDL90 interface parameters have been setup in advance.

PaulSS

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 11:56:33 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Lee.

So my guess was wrong; it has nothing to do with the computer or antennas  :)

I have to say I'm a bit like Moff and would prefer to have the Mode C/S over weather. I think I've managed over the years to look out of the window and see the weather far more easily and effectively than spotting other aircraft that I knew nothing about. At least with Mode C/S warnings I've got a chance of spotting an intruder and that is more important to me than being advised there's a CB ahead in 20 miles, which I can see anyway.

As you said in the other thread, it will be interesting to see how the SkyEcho will talk to Sky Demon regarding Mode C/S, especially if their claim to be able to integrate PAW and FLARM is true. By my reckoning, assuming they can 'see' the OGN broadcasts (and there's no reason why they can't IF they can get PAW), the SkyEcho should be able to display ADSB, P3I, OGN, Mode C/S and weather. I guess time will tell if their claims are over-rated and that you have to choose one over the other with them as well.

Just out of interest, if one were to have a PAW unit, doing its normal thing with Sky Demon, and a Stratux thingy that had the 1090 MHz function off (if that's possible) but the 978 on, do you think it would it be possible to use PAW for all the traffic things and the Stratux for weather, all at the same time?

Ian Melville

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 06:06:48 am »
Yes because you will also be running two separate systems with two displays. Just how much kit are you going to load into your aircraft? To use one tablet you will need to toggle between two wifi networks.

You could use one PAW, One tablet, two apps. SD with weather(do any of the others do weather?), and Easy VFR with traffic.
Or
One PAW, two tablets, both running SD

PaulSS

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 11:24:25 am »
Thanks Ian, all understood  :)

I definitely don't want two tablets and going between different apps and networks just sounds like too much hassle. I'll stick with my PAW, SD and looking out of the window at what's going on in the lower atmosphere.

The other day I actually saw a cloud, so I'm slowly prepping myself for our return to Blighty  ;D

Ian Melville

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 12:47:07 pm »
Stand under a cold shower for 10 minutes every day😀 Having said that it's great at the moment. Warm, sunny and light winds.... And I have to work🙁

PaulSS

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 03:35:10 pm »
IFR a few days ago. If it helps, I'm back at work too, in Japan, and it's not so nice here. Had some lovely 30G50 winds a couple of days ago, all across, so time to work the leg muscles  :) It was just as bad today in the sim  :o

Kevin W

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 07:08:15 pm »
Hi Lee,

I run 2 devices in the cockpit as a matter of course, so having the option of OGN-R or UAT weather via GDL90 on one and bearingless targets via Flarm on the other would be great?

Cheers
Kev
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:25:00 am by Kevin W »

PaulSS

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 01:15:09 am »
Just to further add to my list of stupid questions; would it be possible to flick a switch that goes directly to the PAW to switch between the two 'modes'? For instance, fly around with Mode C/S as the norm, flick a switch which would turn off Mode C/S but enable the screen to fill up with weather information and/or allow you to grab a METAR/TAF and then, when you're finished, flick back to Mode C/S.

Ian Melville

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 05:55:46 am »
You would need to speak to Sky Demon about that. PAW Transmitts both simultaniously, it's SD that has to decide which protocol to listen to.

I would guess somewhere between Bob Hope and no hope of that happening. I would wait and see what is going to happen with GDL90 and mode C/S from SkyEcho.